States with ‘abstinence-only’ sex ed programs rank highest in teen pregnancies

I was actually quite impressed with my daughter's HOPE class. It taught all aspects of health, including sexual health. I definitely think it transmitted the "don't get an STD" message loud and clear.

yeah, HOPE was a very informative course.

Wanna know why abstinence doesn't work. It's called nature. A natural desire to reproduce with a mate of one's choosing has been with us from the first single cell life form and you can bet telling some healthy teens not to phuck ain't a gonna hack it. Since the beginning a hard weenie and a wet slit have craved one another.

One of my proudest conquests was the daughter of a Presbyterian minister. She was gorgeous and some times I would pick her up after choir practice. I had a new 1954 aurora red convertible and we used it many times. Right up till the time she selected her fiancee.

Keep in mind that in the 50's the risk of pregnancy was much higher by a long shot than it is now...or even 40 years ago for that matter.

Ever notice that older people are the ones who are concerned about kids getting pregnant

Know Why

It scares the schit out of them when they remember how they felt when they were young.

People are going to fuck. You can't help that.

They need to be educated on how to protect themselves and make better decisions.
Once they know of the dangers and risks, they are less likely to have sex.
If they DO have sex, they know about contraception and other stuff.

Abstinence is not going to work because they are going to have sex and not know what they are doing, plus just "abstinence only" sorta has the reverse psychology effect. It's like telling a kid not to do something. Chances are he is going to do it.

Get the government out of the education business. Choose the school that teaches sex ed as you would like. Problem solved.

Ehh, not quite.

The government should be able to do stuff like sexual education in school.
If you don't like it, take your kids to a private school.

Education is a privilege, not a right.
Nor should government cater to religious beliefs.

Education is indeed a privilege and not a right. Yet taxpayers must fund this privilege?

I would be happy to take my kids to a private school, which I could if the government didn't hold a monopoly over basic education. You have to be rich to pay for private education AND public through taxes.

If education was provided by a free market, you could choose a school that offers sex education, or not. Your CHOICE. No such choice exists today except for the wealthiest Americans. The rest of us get the crap education that only government can produce. Lovely.

Wanna know why abstinence doesn't work. It's called nature. A natural desire to reproduce with a mate of one's choosing has been with us from the first single cell life form and you can bet telling some healthy teens not to phuck ain't a gonna hack it. Since the beginning a hard weenie and a wet slit have craved one another.

One of my proudest conquests was the daughter of a Presbyterian minister. She was gorgeous and some times I would pick her up after choir practice. I had a new 1954 aurora red convertible and we used it many times. Right up till the time she selected her fiancee.

Keep in mind that in the 50's the risk of pregnancy was much higher by a long shot than it is now...or even 40 years ago for that matter.

Ever notice that older people are the ones who are concerned about kids getting pregnant

Know Why

It scares the schit out of them when they remember how they felt when they were young.

People are going to fuck. You can't help that.

They need to be educated on how to protect themselves and make better decisions.
Once they know of the dangers and risks, they are less likely to have sex.
If they DO have sex, they know about contraception and other stuff.

Abstinence is not going to work because they are going to have sex and not know what they are doing, plus just "abstinence only" sorta has the reverse psychology effect. It's like telling a kid not to do something. Chances are he is going to do it.

EXACTLY!!! It's like, "I hadn't Thought Of That......Sounds Like Fun!"

Get the government out of the education business. Choose the school that teaches sex ed as you would like. Problem solved.

Ehh, not quite.

Education is indeed a privilege and not a right. Yet taxpayers must fund this privilege?

I would be happy to take my kids to a private school, which I could if the government didn't hold a monopoly over basic education. You have to be rich to pay for private education AND public through taxes.

If education was provided by a free market, you could choose a school that offers sex education, or not. Your CHOICE. No such choice exists today except for the wealthiest Americans. The rest of us get the crap education that only government can produce. Lovely.

You pay taxes to the state/county
They decide what to spend your taxes on.

Want "better" education? Pay extra for a private school. You don't want to pay that much/can't pay that much? Tough shit. Homeschool your kid.

Our public education is failing and stuff like this is the reason why.
We aren't preparing our future generations for business, politics, computers, mechanics, economics, etc and it's biting ourselves in the ass. But enough digressing.

Public education should not cater to religious beliefs and such because everyone else will suffer. Just look at pregnancy rates with states that have abstinence only education.

This coming from the people who want to micromanage every aspect of our life.

I was actually quite impressed with my daughter's HOPE class. It taught all aspects of health, including sexual health. I definitely think it transmitted the "don't get an STD" message loud and clear.

The slides of STD encrusted genitals were...really motivational. She came home and terrified her brother, as well.

Actually, you need to bone up on your constitutional law, homes. You're incorrect.

Furthermore, it is in the best economic interest of this country to have an educated populace. Educated people earn more, and pay more taxes. It benefits all of us to citizens who are well-educated and able to work.

The average American pays a fraction of what their child's education costs through taxes, and most of these come from property taxes, not federal taxes.

So, if you really want to opt out of the system, rent instead of buying, and put your property tax money towards your child's private school education.

WIN!

Parents can choose for their children to opt out of sex ed.

As far as receiving a "crap" education, my kids are in good schools. I don't know what your excuse is.

Ehh, not quite.

Want "better" education? Pay extra for a private school. You don't want to pay that much/can't pay that much? Tough shit. Homeschool your kid.

We aren't preparing our future generations for business, politics, computers, mechanics, economics, etc and it's biting ourselves in the ass. But enough digressing.

Public education should not cater to religious beliefs and such because everyone else will suffer. Just look at pregnancy rates with states that have abstinence only education.

One, you're overlooking the federal government's role in state provided education...an unconstitutional role, btw. While most funding comes through the state, the feds influence is not insignificant. Secondly, you're again correct that our public education is failing. Has been for some time. Can you explain why you think continuing down that path is superior to a free market of educational choices, which can include financial support for the poor? It's that or we continue to allow the same guys that run the DMV to run everything in education, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots to serve at lunch. How's that working out for you?

Actually, you need to bone up on your constitutional law, homes. You're incorrect.

Furthermore, it is in the best economic interest of this country to have an educated populace. Educated people earn more, and pay more taxes. It benefits all of us to citizens who are well-educated and able to work.

The average American pays a fraction of what their child's education costs through taxes, and most of these come from property taxes, not federal taxes.

So, if you really want to opt out of the system, rent instead of buying, and put your property tax money towards your child's private school education.

WIN!

As far as receiving a "crap" education, my kids are in good schools. I don't know what your excuse is.

1) Please point out in the Constitution where education is a right.
2) Your school may be adequate, good for you, but if you really believe "it is in the best economic interest of this country to have an educated populace", how do you continue to support the status quo when nationwide, our country's educational results (K-12) suck?
3) Your ignorance with the 'rent vs buy' and property taxes is profound. Do you really think landlords don't incorporate the cost of property taxes into the rent they charge? Wow, just wow.

The slides of STD encrusted genitals were...really motivational. She came home and terrified her brother, as well.

LOL!

It's the unfortunate truth.
Did they get an idea how common stuff like that was among people?

One, you're overlooking the federal government's role in state provided education...an unconstitutional role, btw. While most funding comes through the state, the feds influence is not insignificant. Secondly, you're again correct that our public education is failing. Has been for some time. Can you explain why you think continuing down that path is superior to a free market of educational choices, which can include financial support for the poor? It's that or we continue to allow the same guys that run the DMV to run everything in education, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots to serve at lunch. How's that working out for you?

Well, I think it would be the best path due to the statistics which studies have proven.
While you may disagree, we know how the outcome will be either way.
Public education needs to get into gear.

Thats all I have to say. (Not trying to give the "i'm superior" mentality, but rather I'm showing my concern and explaining why I believe it should be this way)

Ehh, not quite.

Abstinence...........forget it. No healthy teen worth their salt will ever pay any attention to that. We're here to reproduce.

WIN!

2) Your school may be adequate, good for you, but if you really believe "it is in the best economic interest of this country to have an educated populace", how do you continue to support the status quo when nationwide, our country's educational results (K-12) suck?
3) Your ignorance with the 'rent vs buy' and property taxes is profound. Do you really think landlords don't incorporate the cost of property taxes into the rent they charge? Wow, just wow.

I think you'd have benefitted from a good public school education, frankly.

The right to education is enumerated in all 50 state constitutions, and the right of states to enumerate this as a right is affirmed by the 10th amendment.

Thanks for playing, oh constitutionalist wiz kid.

WIN!

I think you'd have benefitted from a good public school education, frankly.

The right to education is enumerated in all 50 state constitutions, and the right of states to enumerate this as a right is affirmed by the 10th amendment.

Thanks for playing, oh constitutionalist wiz kid.

Slippery of you to first imply a federal right...but it was states rights all along. Of course, that doesn't address the federal government's unconstitutional role in education, but let's stick with the point at hand.

If education is a right in any particular state, you then have a strong case to redistribute money in that state to poor families for the purpose of paying for education...and I would agree with that position. That does NOT mean the government should RUN education. That's my point. They're doing a shit job of it has nationwide results prove. The endless arguments over what should and should not be taught would go away with free market schools. Innovation in teaching would soar, costs would plummet and results would improve. That is not going to happen with government run education...but you want to continue funding the DMV to teach our kids? That makes no sense.

Same story, different locale.

Teen Pregnancies Highest In States With Abstinence-Only Policies | ThinkProgress

And who will take the responsibility for the pregnancies? Firstly, the women. That's why we're all talking about your 'non-existent' war on women. And once you get rid of the safety nets, crime will be the result. Well - that and death. The children born won't be as healthy, because women who don't want to be pregnant don't seek prenatal care.

There's a lot of ugly headed America's way if the Religious Wrong gets all their wishes granted.

Abstinence-only is a stupid policy. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see how illogical it is.

Or a sex drive.

Or who can remember being a teenager.

"I'll never break my promise or forget my vow; but God only knows what I could do right now!"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-FRac7m58]Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf - YouTube[/ame]

This coming from the people who want to micromanage every aspect of our life.

Yes, giving people access to birth control options is micromanaging their lives.

But I suppose the world would be a better place if every 5th high school girl was pregnant and forced to carry the baby to term at point of a gun.

"Oh, but that's okay! Because then we'll declare her an unfit mother by virtue of age, and give her baby to Loving, CHRISTIAN parents!"

Slippery of you to first imply a federal right...but it was states rights all along. Of course, that doesn't address the federal government's unconstitutional role in education, but let's stick with the point at hand.

If education is a right in any particular state, you then have a strong case to redistribute money in that state to poor families for the purpose of paying for education...and I would agree with that position. That does NOT mean the government should RUN education. That's my point. They're doing a shit job of it has nationwide results prove. The endless arguments over what should and should not be taught would go away with free market schools. Innovation in teaching would soar, costs would plummet and results would improve. That is not going to happen with government run education...but you want to continue funding the DMV to teach our kids? That makes no sense.

I can't possibly compete with you in the realm of making no sense. The state constitutions enumerate a right to education. You asked where this right was found, and I provided the answer. NOw, you wish to pretend that you knew about this right all along, and that you're lecturing me.

However, the obvious logical fail in all of this is that you'd never have asked the question if you knew the answer.

Do your homework, then post.

I can't possibly compete with you in the realm of making no sense. The state constitutions enumerate a right to education. You asked where this right was found, and I provided the answer. NOw, you wish to pretend that you knew about this right all along, and that you're lecturing me.

However, the obvious logical fail in all of this is that you'd never have asked the question if you knew the answer.

Do your homework, then post.

You've made a hell of case to continue the status quo of government run education. Gosh, you showed me!

FAIL

Forum List

Back