State's Pot Rights?

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Hot Air Blog Archive Buzzkill: DEA raids pot grower despite complying with state laws
(Hot Air is a right of center blog)
Four months ago, the Obama administration made headlines by publicly announcing that it would not attempt to enforce federal marijuana laws in states that legalized its use, at least where suspects comply with the state law. Among those states affected was Colorado, and suppliers of “medical” marijuana rejoiced in their newfound freedom from federal threats. Unfortunately for one such supplier, he rejoiced a little too loudly and incurred the wrath of the DEA:

Owner who bragged of large medical-pot operation jailed in DEA raid - The Denver Post

Federal drug-enforcement agents Friday raided the home of a Highlands Ranch man who a day earlier bragged in a 9News report about the large and profitable medical-marijuana-growing operation in his basement.

Along with the raid, Jeffrey Sweetin, the Drug Enforcement Administration's special agent in charge of the Denver office, sent a message to anyone involved in Colorado's increasingly profitable medical-marijuana industry.

"It's still a violation of federal law," Sweetin said. "It's not medicine. We're still going to continue to investigate and arrest people."

I believe there are more issues going on than the blog report alone lets on. (not that I'd let that get in the way of a good thread title) The Denver Post suggest the proximity of a school may be a factor, plus the fact that (if I read the article right) the grower got arrested before the TV segment aired. What rights do a State have verses the Federal law and its enforcement... if any?

Still, all in all, a good jumping off point to start talking about the lawfare being waged on We the People. I consede ignorence of the law should not excuse breaking the law. But how does one function under tens of thousands of pages of law regulating our daily lives. Even if they were all somehow for our own good. (OK, I'll also concede most of our daily lives don't include giant indoor pot farms)

Hot Air Blog Archive Buzzkill: DEA raids pot grower despite complying with state laws
(Hot Air is a right of center blog)
Four months ago, the Obama administration made headlines by publicly announcing that it would not attempt to enforce federal marijuana laws in states that legalized its use, at least where suspects comply with the state law. Among those states affected was Colorado, and suppliers of &#8220;medical&#8221; marijuana rejoiced in their newfound freedom from federal threats. Unfortunately for one such supplier, he rejoiced a little too loudly and incurred the wrath of the DEA:

Owner who bragged of large medical-pot operation jailed in DEA raid - The Denver Post

Federal drug-enforcement agents Friday raided the home of a Highlands Ranch man who a day earlier bragged in a 9News report about the large and profitable medical-marijuana-growing operation in his basement.

Along with the raid, Jeffrey Sweetin, the Drug Enforcement Administration's special agent in charge of the Denver office, sent a message to anyone involved in Colorado's increasingly profitable medical-marijuana industry.

"It's still a violation of federal law," Sweetin said. "It's not medicine. We're still going to continue to investigate and arrest people."

I believe there are more issues going on than the blog report alone lets on. (not that I'd let that get in the way of a good thread title) The Denver Post suggest the proximity of a school may be a factor, plus the fact that (if I read the article right) the grower got arrested before the TV segment aired. What rights do a State have verses the Federal law and its enforcement... if any?

Still, all in all, a good jumping off point to start talking about the lawfare being waged on We the People. I consede ignorence of the law should not excuse breaking the law. But how does one function under tens of thousands of pages of law regulating our daily lives. Even if they were all somehow for our own good. (OK, I'll also concede most of our daily lives don't include giant indoor pot farms)

As much as I'm in favor of complete legalization (not just medical marijuana), there's no reason to brag on national television about your stash. I just think it's kind of stupid. The people in charge of the DEA are old-school Ddrug Warriors, and they'd take something like this as a personal insult.

Last edited:
That is because most communist prefer for the people to be doped up. It has nothing to do with enforcing someone's personal choice.

Why even waste resources on enforcing laws on a plant is a violation of our rights,imho.

Most people that I have ran into that want to legalize pot want to because they want to smoke it themselves. They don't do it because they believe in someone's personal choice but because they want to smoke up and get high without the cops bugging them. The same people who support the legalization of pot also support taxes on cigs and unhealthy sugary drinks so I can't say they believe in someone's right to choose for themselves.

Why even waste resources on enforcing laws on a plant is a violation of our rights,imho.

Most people that I have ran into that want to legalize pot want to because they want to smoke it themselves. They don't do it because they believe in someone's personal choice but because they want to smoke up and get high without the cops bugging them. The same people who support the legalization of pot also support taxes on cigs and unhealthy sugary drinks so I can't say they believe in someone's right to choose for themselves.

Provably false. I don't support a tax on sugary drinks, nor on cigarettes. And I do support legalization. Broad brush much?

That is because most communist prefer for the people to be doped up. It has nothing to do with enforcing someone's personal choice.

???

What are you talking about?

Get the population doped up, drunk, stoned, and then they won't resist you. That is the reason why vodka was so prevalent in the soviet union.

So is that how you justify big government drug war? And you call yourself a conservative?

I think people should mind their own business and not worry so much about weather a person is smoking pot in his own home anymore than they worry about drinking in their own home, now, getting doped up in public, with children and things of this nature should of course always be illegal. The same with cigarettes and sugary drinks, that is a personal right, now, we should not as a society be forced to pay for their healthcare either, if they want to smoke and then they get emphysema, taxpayers should not be forced to care for them.

???

Get the population doped up, drunk, stoned, and then they won't resist you. That is the reason why vodka was so prevalent in the soviet union.

So is that how you justify big government drug war? And you call yourself a conservative?

Its pointing out a truth that drug use esculated during a very fascist attempt during the 60s to take over this country. I don't think its a coincidence.

Its pointing out a truth that drug use esculated during a very fascist attempt during the 60s to take over this country. I don't think its a coincidence.

What "fascist attempt" during the 60s are you talking about?

???

I think that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want but most people who want to legalize drugs do it because they want to do drugs themselves. Its the reason why they believe in someoene's personal choice to smoke pot but not snort cocain.

I think that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want but most people who want to legalize drugs do it because they want to do drugs themselves. Its the reason why they believe in someoene's personal choice to smoke pot but not snort cocain.

I believe in anyone's right to snort cocaine as well. All drugs should be legalized, as well as prostitution, gambling, and any other vice. Anything that is a crime right now, but hurts no one except yourself, should be legalized.

Wow. USMB threads never go where I expect them to at all. :lol:

Guess I'm still learning my way about. Not for nothing but I do in fact smoke a little now and again but am against "sin" taxes (and most other taxes). I also admit I only want it legal (with reasonable control for public saftey etc) because I like to do it. Same reason I'd be against Prohibition part deux. Same reason I'm for free speech, even for corporations because I happen to work for one... granted a small one.

I'm still curious as to what the laws are now and how Obama intends to enforce them. Whatever your opinion I think everyone should agree that the laws (for everything) should be very specific and narrow. (as P.J.O. said, that's the whole difference between having a government and having a mother)

Forum List

Back