States may ban credit checks on job applicants

Put me down for "unless they are responsible for lotsa money" category. And if so, then it must be fully disclosed that a credit check will be run.

If I as an employer want to check credit history so as to be better informed as to the character of an applicant, i should have every right to do so.
Do you think someone's character can be summed up by a credit check? If a person has had a tough time making ends meet, should that prevent them from succeeding, if given an honest chance?

The article said it well: It's tough enough finding a job these days...

Just another erosion of an individual's right to privacy! But some Conservatives have no problem eroding personal rights, or so it seems.

A credit check is a pretty good indicator of someone's character during good times.

During bad times almost everyone will score badly.

I've found that people who rent tend to be less reliable so it reflects in their credit report. They usually can't afford a home because they have this strange habit of not paying their bills.
I deal with renters on a daily basis. I have found that some folks can't afford the down payment, true. But, it is also true that some renters don't want the responsibility of home ownership and maintenance. Some are downsized after raising a family in a big house. Some are just starting out and have yet to have the chance to save for their own house. And, some work hard but do not earn enough to afford their own house.

Personal rights include the rights to conduct business the way i choose and to hire who i want to hire.

Within reason. Your right to conduct business the way you you choose and your right to hire who you want ends when it begins to interfer with someone else's rights as a citizen.

It's sort of like my right to swing my hand ends at your face.

And how does not hiring someone violate their rights?
I guess it depends on the reason. You don't hire someone due to an immutable fact like their sex or race or national origin~ that makes a pretty clear cut case of violating someones civil rights.

If I as an employer want to check credit history so as to be better informed as to the character of an applicant, i should have every right to do so.
Do you think someone's character can be summed up by a credit check? If a person has had a tough time making ends meet, should that prevent them from succeeding, if given an honest chance?

The article said it well: It's tough enough finding a job these days...

Just another erosion of an individual's right to privacy! But some Conservatives have no problem eroding personal rights, or so it seems.

That's a pretty idiotic statement....you act like when you go in to interview for a job all they do is give you a credit check and then based on your FICO say "yes you got the job"...or "no you're overqualified." Whether or not an applicant is qualified for a position or not depends on SEVERAL factors...not just one like you insinuate.

Forum List

Back