State's lawmakers pass 66 percent income tax increase

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Illinois lawmakers have approved a politically risky 66 percent income tax increase in an effort to solve a historic budget crisis.

State's lawmakers pass 66 percent tax increase - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com
By DEANNA BELLANDI
The Associated Press

The bill now goes to Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn, who supports the plan.

It would temporarily We know that's not true. Spending will increase if it even gets close to balancing the budget. set the personal tax rate at 5 percent, up from 3 percent now. Corporate taxes would climb, too.

Quinn's office says the tax increase would generate about $6.8 billion annually, helping close a budget hole that could hit $15 billion this year. As long as companies don't move out. Indiana must be very happy at this idiocy.

In sheer percentage terms, the increase could be the biggest on the long list of those passed as states grapple with nationwide economic woes. We're number 1! We're number 1! We're number 1!

The Illinois Senate approved the measure 30-29 early Wednesday. The House had approved it late Tuesday.

It's rare that I'm glad I no longer live there. But it's moments like this that really drive it in that I will never move back home.

Last edited:
Tax rate in Oregon is 11%.

So much opera about moving the rate from 3 to 5 is kind of silly.

(OTOH, Oregon has no Sales tax )

Just shows how far they will go in order to keep their social programs and control of the masses.

Should have sold/leased the highway like Indiana did several years ago. That money and Daniels cuts in government has kept Indiana budget balanced through out this depression/recession. He even reduced our property taxes during this time.

Tax rate in Oregon is 11%.

So much opera about moving the rate from 3 to 5 is kind of silly.

(OTOH, Oregon has no Sales tax )

Ill does. If I recall it's at least 6%.

I think the more important issue is spending. There's not only no cuts coming, the state union workers are going to get thier raise.

So you see, this "temporary increase" is a lie, b/c they are increasing spending, which will have to be paid for.

We also now have the highest Corporate Tax in the World (when you take the Fed Corp tax into account). Its disgusting. We are top 5 in property, gas and utility and we are NUMBER 1 in the sales tax!

They are bleeding us dry! Governor Daniels is already licking his lips thinking about all the revenue he will pick up with companies leaving IL for IN! Liberalism is a mental disease. I guarantee by 2012 we are going to be talking about economic collaspe in IL with one after another large corporation leaving the State. First one foresure will be Caterpillar! I think this might be the straw that breaks the camels back in their move overseas or to Mexico! Next will be McDonald's, Aon, Motorolla and United Airlines!

Illinois is now the retarded sibling of Greece! YES our State government is dumber than Greece!

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Illinois lawmakers have approved a politically risky 66 percent income tax increase in an effort to solve a historic budget crisis.

State's lawmakers pass 66 percent tax increase - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com
By DEANNA BELLANDI
The Associated Press

It would temporarily We know that's not true. Spending will increase if it even gets close to balancing the budget. set the personal tax rate at 5 percent, up from 3 percent now. Corporate taxes would climb, too.

Quinn's office says the tax increase would generate about $6.8 billion annually, helping close a budget hole that could hit $15 billion this year. As long as companies don't move out. Indiana must be very happy at this idiocy.

In sheer percentage terms, the increase could be the biggest on the long list of those passed as states grapple with nationwide economic woes. We're number 1! We're number 1! We're number 1!

The Illinois Senate approved the measure 30-29 early Wednesday. The House had approved it late Tuesday.

It's rare that I'm glad I no longer live there. But it's moments like this that really drive it in that I will never move back home.

We also now have the highest Corporate Tax in the World (when you take the Fed Corp tax into account). Its disgusting. We are top 5 in property, gas and utility and we are NUMBER 1 in the sales tax!

They are bleeding us dry! Governor Daniels is already licking his lips thinking about all the revenue he will pick up with companies leaving IL for IN! Liberalism is a mental disease. I guarantee by 2012 we are going to be talking about economic collaspe in IL with one after another large corporation leaving the State. First one foresure will be Caterpillar! I think this might be the straw that breaks the camels back in their move overseas or to Mexico! Next will be McDonald's, Aon, Motorolla and United Airlines!

Illinois is now the retarded sibling of Greece! YES our State government is dumber than Greece!

By DEANNA BELLANDI
The Associated Press

Yes, your state is dumber than Greece. Your avatar says "Never Give Up", but I would bet many of your citizens are.

By DEANNA BELLANDI
The Associated Press

Yes, your state is dumber than Greece. Your avatar says "Never Give Up", but I would bet many of your citizens are.

I already have local C Corp clients that produce good revenue for the state informing me of up coming address changes! I have been listening to business people saying this could be the last draw!

There are crumbles that my company might relocate us Texas! In honesty, I might be for that!

Should have sold/leased the highway like Indiana did several years ago. That money and Daniels cuts in government has kept Indiana budget balanced through out this depression/recession. He even reduced our property taxes during this time.

I would truly love to see Daniels run for Prez. He would get my vote.

This guy could probably straighten out the mess the entire country is in.

I would truly love to see Daniels run for Prez. He would get my vote.

This guy could probably straighten out the mess the entire country is in.

Heck Daniels is going to be able to buy back the IN highways and line the entire highway with gold-plated rails with all the revenue coming his way in the form of IL corporations!

Quinn is GREAT at building a state's coffers! To bad it will be all the bordering states to IL!

We also now have the highest Corporate Tax in the World (when you take the Fed Corp tax into account). Its disgusting. We are top 5 in property, gas and utility and we are NUMBER 1 in the sales tax! We're number 1! We're number 1! We're number 1!

By DEANNA BELLANDI
The Associated Press

Damn, that's harsh.

so when are the libs going to take to the streets and start burning stuff? Make sure they don't hit the fields, the lose of crops would be a hard hit.

Forum List

Back