States consider drug tests for welfare recipients Mar 26 2009

Naw, the left attracts idiots and racists, and for that reason, and the fact that everyone came to recognize it, the dems (who are by nature cowardly deserters) deserted their party en masse and hid themselves in the Republican party. They did it so they could #1, hide their prejudices from the world and "clean up" the Democratic image, and #2, infilterate and pervert the Republican party.

Thank you! Thank you!

Naw, the left attracts idiots and racists, and for that reason, and the fact that everyone came to recognize it, the dems (who are by nature cowardly deserters) deserted their party en masse and hid themselves in the Republican party. They did it so they could #1, hide their prejudices from the world and "clean up" the Democratic image, and #2, infilterate and pervert the Republican party.

Thank you! Thank you!

geezus....you have swallowed the kool aid and the pitcher it was mixed in.

Without these people you are refering to your party has ZERO. You can imagine that they are not Republicans but the fact is, THEY ARE. Masses of them in the south. They defected from the Democratic party with The Civil Rights Movement. They left the party of civil rights because they were racist. You're exactly right. They had to find a place where they felt comfortable and that place was the Republican party. Jessie Helms, Strom Thurmond.....you must be proud! About as proud as the Dems are of Byrd. That old bastard just won't die or change parties!

Fact is, the Republican party is comprised of a ton of these idiots. You understand that the racist and the religious whackos are an overlapping group? You understand that they like your party because it's policies play up to their racist agendas? You maybe don't like affirmative action because it doesn't seem fair. The masses of Republicans down here, in your strong hold, don't like it because....what?....you said it.....they are racist. I have to admit, you are about as honest as anyone I have spoken with about where the racist are. Absolutely, they used to be in the democratic south, but that was decades ago. Now, the Republicans damn near have a monopoly on the southern racist. Congratulations! These people won a bunch of elections for you.

To make a long story short, you aren't from the south, are you? You should come meet some of your fellow republicans. It's your strong hold. The representative majority of your party.

Thank you! Thank you!

Without these people you are refering to your party has ZERO. You can imagine that they are not Republicans but the fact is, THEY ARE. Masses of them in the south. They defected from the Democratic party with The Civil Rights Movement. They left the party of civil rights because they were racist. You're exactly right. They had to find a place where they felt comfortable and that place was the Republican party. Jessie Helms, Strom Thurmond.....you must be proud! About as proud as the Dems are of Byrd. That old bastard just won't die or change parties!

Fact is, the Republican party is comprised of a ton of these idiots. You understand that the racist and the religious whackos are an overlapping group? You understand that they like your party because it's policies play up to their racist agendas? You maybe don't like affirmative action because it doesn't seem fair. The masses of Republicans down here, in your strong hold, don't like it because....what?....you said it.....they are racist. I have to admit, you are about as honest as anyone I have spoken with about where the racist are. Absolutely, they used to be in the democratic south, but that was decades ago. Now, the Republicans damn near have a monopoly on the southern racist. Congratulations! These people won a bunch of elections for you.

To make a long story short, you aren't from the south, are you? You should come meet some of your fellow republicans. It's your strong hold. The representative majority of your party.

WOW Pj, you throw that racist label around pretty loosely. I have found that people who avoid the reality of their inner feelings, find it necessary to accuse everyone else of what they themselves are guilty.
gb

Thank you! Thank you!

WOW Pj, you throw that racist label around pretty loosely. I have found that people who avoid the reality of their inner feelings, find it necessary to accuse everyone else of what they themselves are guilty.
gb

Maybe so for some. I was raised to be a racist. That's how it was, and still is for much of the south. Some of the things I could tell you about growing up in rural NC. One of my Dad's favorite things to say when I would make a mistake or break something when I was a kid was "a damn ****** can tear up, it takes a white man to fix up." I must have heard that a few hundred times growing up. Even my beloved grandmother, considered a kind and devout Christian in the neighborhood, would say things about "*******". Anything second rate, anytime there was an appearance of laziness, ignorance or a crime, that was what was immediately referenced. I can recall my teachers, folks that went to our church, all of my Dad's Masonic brothers (still one of the most segregated fraternities on Earth), our Police Chief, all of them, in the correct company and at different times explaining to me about the "*******" or asking me if I wanted to grow up to be like them. Oh yes, I am intimately familiar with racism. There is one thing that made a difference for me and many in my generation: intergration. Racism was and is alive and well in private America. However, in our public institutions, intergration was a forced issue. It still is. If you want to see how people in the south interact when free to chose, just pick a church. Any church. The Church is one of few public places untouched by forced intergration and being left to chose, Sunday is the most segregated day of the week. At any rate, intergration put me and my peers into school with all children. The violence of civil rights was largely over and we were beginning to understand each other better. The things I heard at home and at church didn't ring true in a young, open mind. My school was 65% black, Middlesex, NC. I was the minority. My black peers were not dumb or slow or ignorant. In fact, being the majority, there were more black kids that I had to keep up with academically than white. This did not go un noticed by a young man who heard racial slurs, down right biggotry and slander, regularly from the respected white people in the community. My family. My friends. My Church. Despite knowing a lot of black kids that were every bit as capable as me, they were noticably poorer. They lived in houses about to fall down. There clothes were ragged and too small. They wore ill fitting shoes. Being educated in this post civil rights era gave me a clue as to why my friends parents might not ba as educated, might not be paid as well, might not have as good a job or decent opportunity as my parents. And I knew it was so. After all, I was white. I got to hear what white people thought about black people. There was no denying the history, the circumstance, the reality. It all made perfect sense by the time I was a teenager.

One of my first jobs was at Durham's Garage in Kenly, NC. Some of my relatives owned it. I was changing oil and doing brake jobs. Jack Durham was the owner, he had semi retired and his son Richard, my cousin, ran the place. They were both typical, rural southern racist. That's just how it was. They would rant and carry on from time to time if there was a burglary in the neighborhood and say it was surely a "******". Jack was the worst, being "old school". Often he would go on and on about welfare and food stamps and how "a ****** don't want no job". Then, at one point, we lost our top mechanic. We had desperately been seeking a new guy, especially someone with diesel experience. One day this guy walks in. Slacks, loafers, obviously looking for a job. Black guy. 12 years experience and a degree from Wilson Tech in diesel mechanics. Before he could hand over his resume, Jack says "sorry, we don't need nobody." Yeah right Jack, "****** don't want no job." Fact is, for the longest time, white people wouldn't give a black man a job. Wonder why a black man might need welfare to feed his kids eh?

I could go on and on about the racism I see everyday, as a white man, born and raised in the south. I can tell you about my experience here in Whitmire, SC since a black man ran for and won the presidency of the United States. And that's the thing: I WILL TELL YOU. I can tell you because these good ol' boy, racist, damn near exclusive republican ass wipes commonly mistake me for a member of their damned good ol' boys club, just because I'm white and I sing country music with a southern accent. I don't challenge them with this. It's useless. It's worth more to keep my mouth shut so I can see who these people really are. And I know who they are. Not only do they speak to me in the right company, openly, but I speak there discrete code too. Jessie and Strom spoke that code well. They could stand before the Senate and say things that may have seemed a little off to the rest of the country but the good ol' boys knew who their men were.

In short, don't pretend to know my inner feelings, what I know or feel about racism. Just ask. I'll tell you. I am not ashamed of my circumstances, for I have risen above them. So you wonder why I might make a little joke about black people swimming? Because I know what real racism is. And that ain't it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, asshole.

Last edited:

gb

Maybe so for some. I was raised to be a racist. That's how it was, and still is for much of the south. Some of the things I could tell you about growing up in rural NC. One of my Dad's favorite things to say when I would make a mistake or break something when I was a kid was "a damn ****** can tear up, it takes a white man to fix up." I must have heard that a few hundred times growing up. Even my beloved grandmother, considered a kind and devout Christian in the neighborhood, would say things about "*******". Anything second rate, anytime there was an appearance of laziness, ignorance or a crime, that was what was immediately referenced. I can recall my teachers, folks that went to our church, all of my Dad's Masonic brothers (still one of the most segregated fraternities on Earth), our Police Chief, all of them, in the correct company and at different times explaining to me about the "*******" or asking me if I wanted to grow up to be like them. Oh yes, I am intimately familiar with racism. There is one thing that made a difference for me and many in my generation: intergration. Racism was and is alive and well in private America. However, in our public institutions, intergration was a forced issue. It still is. If you want to see how people in the south interact when free to chose, just pick a church. Any church. The Church is one of few public places untouched by forced intergration and being left to chose, Sunday is the most segregated day of the week. At any rate, intergration put me and my peers into school with all children. The violence of civil rights was largely over and we were beginning to understand each other better. The things I heard at home and at church didn't ring true in a young, open mind. My school was 65% black, Middlesex, NC. I was the minority. My black peers were not dumb or slow or ignorant. In fact, being the majority, there were more black kids that I had to keep up with academically than white. This did not go un noticed by a young man who heard racial slurs, down right biggotry and slander, regularly from the respected white people in the community. My family. My friends. My Church. Despite knowing a lot of black kids that were every bit as capable as me, they were noticably poorer. They lived in houses about to fall down. There clothes were ragged and too small. They wore ill fitting shoes. Being educated in this post civil rights era gave me a clue as to why my friends parents might not ba as educated, might not be paid as well, might not have as good a job or decent opportunity as my parents. And I knew it was so. After all, I was white. I got to hear what white people thought about black people. There was no denying the history, the circumstance, the reality. It all made perfect sense by the time I was a teenager.

One of my first jobs was at Durham's Garage in Kenly, NC. Some of my relatives owned it. I was changing oil and doing brake jobs. Jack Durham was the owner, he had semi retired and his son Richard, my cousin, ran the place. They were both typical, rural southern racist. That's just how it was. They would rant and carry on from time to time if there was a burglary in the neighborhood and say it was surely a "******". Jack was the worst, being "old school". Often he would go on and on about welfare and food stamps and how "a ****** don't want no job". Then, at one point, we lost our top mechanic. We had desperately been seeking a new guy, especially someone with diesel experience. One day this guy walks in. Slacks, loafers, obviously looking for a job. Black guy. 12 years experience and a degree from Wilson Tech in diesel mechanics. Before he could hand over his resume, Jack says "sorry, we don't need nobody." Yeah right Jack, "****** don't want no job." Fact is, for the longest time, white people wouldn't give a black man a job. Wonder why a black man might need welfare to feed his kids eh?

I could go on and on about the racism I see everyday, as a white man, born and raised in the south. I can tell you about my experience here in Whitmire, SC since a black man ran for and won the presidency of the United States. And that's the thing: I WILL TELL YOU. I can tell you because these good ol' boy, racist, damn near exclusive republican ass wipes commonly mistake me for a member of their damned good ol' boys club, just because I'm white and I sing country music with a southern accent. I don't challenge them with this. It's useless. It's worth more to keep my mouth shut so I can see who these people really are. And I know who they are. Not only do they speak to me in the right company, openly, but I speak there discrete code too. Jessie and Strom spoke that code well. They could stand before the Senate and say things that may have seemed a little off to the rest of the country but the good ol' boys knew who their men were.

In short, don't pretend to know my inner feelings, what I know or feel about racism. Just ask. I'll tell you. I am not ashamed of my circumstances, for I have risen above them. So you wonder why I might make a little joke about black people swimming? Because I know what real racism is. And that ain't it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, asshole.

Ok Pj let's go for it, one asshole to another. I am not going to ask your age but I was born in south Texas in 1939. I grew up in the segregated south just the same as you. However, that's where the two of us part ways. My family was of lower middle class. My father was in law enforcement, therefor he was not drafted for WWII. I was enrolled in a catholic private school at age five. There were only a few black people in my school but they were there. I experienced none of the kind of racism talk around my house as you describe. Although, I don't doubt you experienced this kind of racism at an early age. I am not a doctor, but an engineer. However, my lack of medical background does not prevent me from seeing where you are coming from. You hold this huge stone of guilt around your neck that I am surprised you are able to cope with life day to day. From what you describe you have a constant inner battle to suppress the racism you were taught as a child and what you know to be wrong as an adult. This shows in almost every post you have made to this thread. Your not concerned about poor white people, it's impoverished blacks you are defending. You, in all probability need extensive mental help, but I am certain you will no doubt refuse to recognize so. However, I feel certain I am not the first to make this observation. Although, I am just another person to tell you what you already know. This guilt you carry is so great that even helping electing a novice half negro as President will not resolve. For your own sake Pj, get some help. Life must really be a bitch for you. I sincerely wish I could do more. In all probability you will flame me for voicing my observation, regardless this is from the heart. I don't know you but I care.
gb

gb, there is no guilt. I am guilty of nothing. There is empathy. Empathy for people and their circumstances. Why you assume that I care for impoverished blacks and not impoverished whites is beyond me. The race issue was raised by Allie when I pointed out that the sponsors of these drug testing bills are all Republicans. She claims they are all actually racist democrats that are in republican clothing. I don't know each of these legislators history but I do know that the phenomenon she speaks of is true: racist democrats have historically gone to the republican party. They did this in numbers leading up to and during the civil rights struggle. At the time, it wasn't even hidden. These guys told us why they switched parties. It's not a guess on my part or Allie's. That's just what happened. But I digress.

The overwhelming number of people affected by poverty in our country are white. The overwhelming majority of people recieving public assistance are white. My mother and father both were born into poverty and both of their mothers recieved public aid in raising them both. My maternal grandmother was disabled at 42 and survived to the age of 84 by the blessing that is public assistance.

Want to hear about the town I live in now? Since the textiles mills left, more than half of our residents are recieving some sort of public assistance. The racial break down is about 80 - 20, white. Most of the able bodied, educated and funded people have left over the last 25 years or so. What we have left is the elderly, the disabled, the uneducated and the unlucky. ALL POOR. Black and white alike. And guess what? They all feel hunger, just the same.

So, first, you imply that I am a white racist and then when that doesn't stick, you turn yourself around and say I must be a white apologist. Has it occured to you that I am neither? Making a joke about black people swimming doesn't make one a racist. Making the observation that many self identified racist also identify as Republicans, does not make one a racist. Acknowledging the history of race relations in America does not make one a racist. Even being raised in a racially charged environmet does not make one a racist. What it takes to be a racistis is to be a fool.

Texas is a fine state. But if you want to understand racism and the south, I can understand that Texas does not have the history of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas. You see, that is where the black and white people live together in the greatest numbers, both in the metropolitan areas and in the rural areas. Peoples perspectives are different. I haven't pegged you as anything but an asshole. And that's because only an asshole could swing so wildly, from one extreme to another, in his judgement of a mans character in a matter of a few paragraphs.

As for the issue of welfare and drug testing, I haven't seen race raised as an issue. A hungry man is a hungry man. A cheat is a cheat. A drug addict is a drug addict.

Last edited:
And by the way gb, I was not an Obama suporter and did not vote for the man. I did not believe him to be experienced enough.

I support him now as the President of the United Sates.

You assume wildly about people, don't you? I guess if you toss out enough stuff, sooner or later you'll get something right.

gb, there is no guilt. I am guilty of nothing. There is empathy. Empathy for people and their circumstances. Why you assume that I care for impoverished blacks and not impoverished whites is beyond me. The race issue was raised by Allie when I pointed out that the sponsors of these drug testing bills are all Republicans. She claims they are all actually racist democrats that are in republican clothing. I don't know each of these legislators history but I do know that the phenomenon she speaks of is true: racist democrats have historically gone to the republican party. They did this in numbers leading up to and during the civil rights struggle. At the time, it wasn't even hidden. These guys told us why they switched parties. It's not a guess on my part or Allie's. That's just what happened. But I digress.

The overwhelming number of people affected by poverty in our country are white. The overwhelming majority of people recieving public assistance are white. My mother and father both were born into poverty and both of their mothers recieved public aid in raising them both. My maternal grandmother was disabled at 42 and survived to the age of 84 by the blessing that is public assistance.

Want to hear about the town I live in now? Since the textiles mills left, more than half of our residents are recieving some sort of public assistance. The racial break down is about 80 - 20, white. Most of the able bodied, educated and funded people have left over the last 25 years or so. What we have left is the elderly, the disabled, the uneducated and the unlucky. ALL POOR. Black and white alike. And guess what? They all feel hunger, just the same.

So, first, you imply that I am a white racist and then when that doesn't stick, you turn yourself around and say I must be a white apologist. Has it occured to you that I am neither? Making a joke about black people swimming doesn't make one a racist. Making the observation that many self identified racist also identify as Republicans, does not make one a racist. Acknowledging the history of race relations in America does not make one a racist. Even being raised in a racially charged environmet does not make one a racist. What it takes to be a racistis is to be a fool.

Texas is a fine state. But if you want to understand racism and the south, I can understand that Texas does not have the history of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas. You see, that is where the black and white people live together in the greatest numbers, both in the metropolitan areas and in the rural areas. Peoples perspectives are different. I haven't pegged you as anything but an asshole. And that's because only an asshole could swing so wildly, from one extreme to another, in his judgement of a mans character in a matter of a few paragraphs.

As for the issue of welfare and drug testing, I haven't seen race raised as an issue. A hungry man is a hungry man. A cheat is a cheat. A drug addict is a drug addict.

Denial, denial, denial. I predicted in my previous post Pj, this would be your response. Your entire post reeks of denial. As I posted, I am not a doctor, but you are wearing your problem on the outside for all to see. It reminds me of a pecking order. To justify your own existence you must define a class in worst condition than yourself. Then to bolster your lack of self worth you must condescendingly offer your assistance to relieve their suffering. I am willing to bet you have heard all this at least a dozen times. Consequently, I won't bother you with a long dissertation. I hope you seek help but I have done all I am able. I am willing to assist anyone as long as they are willing to help themselves. You might consider me condescending, however that's not the case. I am sure you are aware of the fine line between empathy and sympathy.

As to your not voting for Obama, I don't believe you. You also reek of the demanding something for nothing crowd.
gb

gb, you're a hoot.

Something for nothing crowd? I have never taken a solitary dime of public assistance. In a perfect world, no one would. But alas, we do not live in a perfect world.

We live in a civilized society. We have compassion. That is what seperates us from the animals.(That and an opposable thumb) When a child is born with no arms, we give him something for nothing. It's called compassion. The uncivilized, the animals, will kill the child. That's what makes us better than the savages that some would be content to be. Fortunately, we don't allow that end of the gene pool to pull us down.

As far as defining class, that's for fools, gb. Let me clue you in on something: We all came into this world naked and crying, needing help to find our way. We will all leave this world, absent of class. Those things are simply diversions for the weak mind. You can place as much credit as you wish with class, money or lack thereof, but in the end, none of it changes the fact that we are all equal as humans. A bum and a banker, side by side, on their death bed, have exactly the same thing to lose.

Wise up a little gb. You're too old to be carrying these notions around about people. You don't want to die so bitter do you?

gb, you're a hoot.

Something for nothing crowd? I have never taken a solitary dime of public assistance. In a perfect world, no one would. But alas, we do not live in a perfect world.

We live in a civilized society. We have compassion. That is what seperates us from the animals.(That and an opposable thumb) When a child is born with no arms, we give him something for nothing. It's called compassion. The uncivilized, the animals, will kill the child. That's what makes us better than the savages that some would be content to be. Fortunately, we don't allow that end of the gene pool to pull us down.

As far as defining class, that's for fools, gb. Let me clue you in on something: We all came into this world naked and crying, needing help to find our way. We will all leave this world, absent of class. Those things are simply diversions for the weak mind. You can place as much credit as you wish with class, money or lack thereof, but in the end, none of it changes the fact that we are all equal as humans. A bum and a banker, side by side, on their death bed, have exactly the same thing to lose.

Wise up a little gb. You're too old to be carrying these notions around about people. You don't want to die so bitter do you?

I take it you are suggesting I rethink my analysis Pj? I wasn't aware I was conversing with a philosophical saint.
gb

gb, you're a hoot.

I take it you are suggesting I rethink my analysis Pj? I wasn't aware I was conversing with a philosophical saint.
gb

I'm still trying to figure out how you arrived at white racist and then quickly changed your analysis over to the extreme opposite, white apologist. You seem to take extreme leaps of logic.

gb, you're a hoot.

gb

I'm still trying to figure out how you arrived at white racist and then quickly changed your analysis over to the extreme opposite, white apologist. You seem to take extreme leaps of logic.

Maybe you are just not up to speed Pj? My first impression that you are a latent racist is still my opinion. I don't recall ever accusing you of being a white apologist. I did indicate I felt your early upbringing was the root of your racism. You seem to have been struggling to overcome this racism ever since. Needless to say, the outcome of that battle is entirely up to you, however until you accept there is a battle, you will not win.

I see you have gotten past name calling. That's a start.
gb

Welfare reform, which included more programs to actually assist people in becoming self sufficient, was the best thing that ever happened to welfare. But the concept wasn't to punish people for being irresponsible...the concept was to spend money on things that had an immediate, positive effect on their lives.

Give them $60 a month to pay for transportation, pay for child care, and require them to attend a certain number of hours of employment training. Come up with case plans that actually put power into their hands instead of taking it out of their hands.

Those are good things, because they actually move people in a direction of self sufficiency.

Bad things are making it impossible for people who are at rock bottom, who have nothing and nowhere else to turn, to get foodstamps.

The way it's set up now, anyone who is expedited ($0 money, no prospects) can get food stamps that day. Maybe they're homeless, maybe they're coming down off a binge, maybe it's a DV case where a woman has had the crap beaten out of her and she's out of her house. Anyway, to refuse those people FOOD STAMPS because they test positive for drugs will guarantee an ugly, huge and pathetic population of destitute children. You won't be able to miss them, and you can comfort yourself all you want with the thought that the parents of those kids didn't get to buy their fucking cold deli meats that you enjoy because (gasp) they tested positive for dope.

What we do is get them to a sitting position..and the more assistance they need, the more responsible they need to be..but it's a process, and we aren't TRYING to deny benefits to people. We want to help people, and if you were half a man, you'd want to, too. You hate the churches who would take our place if we weren't here, you despise missionaries, this is what you've got. Unless you want to just put them out of their misery, you have to assist them. These are CHARITY cases and someone has to be charitable to them. We're set up that we have a certain amount of money for the government to do it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Right now is about as good as it will ever function, about as even keel as it's ever going to be. Start messing with it and you will have an ungodly mess.

I don't want to see kids going hungry because their mother is struggling to beat a drug habit and had a moment of bad judgement. And before anyone glibly suggests that she just shouldn't have her children at all, I don't want to see families split up and children consigned to the cold, ugly foster care system simply because their mother can't manage perfection fast enough to suit some people.

If you think smoking pot leads to addiction I suggest you go find yourself a giant brick to smoke and then watch how easy it is to walk away from. Pot is not Heroin or coke.

I tellya, the excuses you people make gives motherfuckers a real reason to quit their job and live like bob marley on the public dime.

Southerners all. Democrats in Republican clothing, and a huge reason for the decline of our party.

All those Dems switched over when they were identified as the racist, libtards they were and they've done nothing but divide our party.

Because they aren't really Republicans. They're dems trying to pull the party to the left. Moles.

But yes, it sucks they're Republican.

oh I KNOW! BIRTHING FOR BENEFITS sure is the kind of thing the tax payer wants to facilitate! Hell, WHY get a fucking job when you can just get pregnant and qualify for a larger section 8 housing voucher!?!?!

:lol:

I mean, WHO ELSE would this nation want to be breeding like cockroaches besides people who can't afford foo so they might as well buy a sack of pot?

:rofl:

amazing.

gb

Maybe you are just not up to speed Pj? My first impression that you are a latent racist is still my opinion. I don't recall ever accusing you of being a white apologist. I did indicate I felt your early upbringing was the root of your racism. You seem to have been struggling to overcome this racism ever since. Needless to say, the outcome of that battle is entirely up to you, however until you accept there is a battle, you will not win.

gb

Well let's back track a bit here: You're a dumb ass.

gb

Is that the best ya got Pj? My old man could hit harder than that.
gb

gb

Is that the best ya got Pj? My old man could hit harder than that.
gb

Not the best, but all I will dish out for you. You don't seem to be all bad.

Forum List

Back