State vs Parental Rights...

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
This story is VERY sad -

http://www.komotv.com/stories/44168.htm

In a nutshell, doctors suggested the woman's son need a surgery to prepare him for dialysis until he got a kidney transplant. The woman didn't agree; wanted to try other methods (rather than risk surgery). The doctors called the state, which REMOVED her custodial rights to the child. She removed the child from the hospital. Doctors LIED to get an Amber Alert issued; woman arrested - son being sent for surgery tomorrow.

:(

I hate the democratic government of the state of washington.

Why should we be surprised. The government already charges you money to take full custody of your child for 7 hours a day, 9 months a year, for 13 years, all so they can turn out to be just barely smarter than the kids in Cyprus and South Africa (compared to beating out all but Japan and South Korea in 4th grade). Is it really that much of a stretch from there to taking custody of your kids to give them a medical procedure that they think is best for them?

dmp said:
This story is VERY sad -

http://www.komotv.com/stories/44168.htm

In a nutshell, doctors suggested the woman's son need a surgery to prepare him for dialysis until he got a kidney transplant. The woman didn't agree; wanted to try other methods (rather than risk surgery). The doctors called the state, which REMOVED her custodial rights to the child. She removed the child from the hospital. Doctors LIED to get an Amber Alert issued; woman arrested - son being sent for surgery tomorrow.

:(

I hate the democratic government of the state of washington.

Libs are all about freedom of choice so long as you choose what they tell you is correct.

It's pretty damned sad that something like that can happen in this country. If that was my child, that doctor would need the witness protection program.

I don't know whos at fault here.

Both parties seem to have the kids best interests at heart. But why would the doctor lie about it? Doc needs to hide from a vengefull mom in my opinion.

I don't think this case has a right answer.

pegwinn said:

Both parties seem to have the kids best interests at heart. But why would the doctor lie about it? Doc needs to hide from a vengefull mom in my opinion.

I don't think the doctor has the kid's best interest at heart. I think he's power-tripping, and circumventing the parent's decision because it doesn't agree with his.

GunnyL said:
Bottom line: your kid is only your kid until some self-righteous do-gooder makes an accusation. Then the state will swoop in and take the child BEFORE checking out anything.

Whatever happened to parental rights?
This is a medical situation..No do gooder stuff..Life/death stuff.

pegwinn said:

Agreed. I'd balk at a society where a crazy parent could deny a child lifesaving medical care. I'd also balk at a society where the state can march in whenever it pleases to override the parent. But I don't think we live in either society.

Mr. P said:
This is a medical situation..No do gooder stuff..Life/death stuff.

Not the way I'm reading it. Doctors suggested. Mom wanted to try other methods. At the doctor's request, the state took away her right to custody of her child because she went against his medical opinion.

Absolutely bogus.

William Joyce said:
Agreed. I'd balk at a society where a crazy parent could deny a child lifesaving medical care. I'd also balk at a society where the state can march in whenever it pleases to override the parent. But I don't think we live in either society.

IF society/the law proves her unfit as a mother, then the scenario changes. All I see so far is that she didn't want to take this doctor's advice and wanted to see what other options/methods were available, and a fascist, knee-jerk reaction by the state.

GunnyL said:
Not the way I'm reading it. Doctors suggested. Mom wanted to try other methods. At the doctor's request, the state took away her right to custody of her child because she went against his medical opinion.

Absolutely bogus.
Did you read the story I posted? This was a tough call I'm sure, and all the onfo has not been revealed in anything I've read. There was enough evidence to compel the court to rule as they did though. Donno what it was, but I’ll assure you the court does not order state custody on a whim or simple request.

GunnyL said:
I don't think the doctor has the kid's best interest at heart. I think he's power-tripping, and circumventing the parent's decision because it doesn't agree with his.

Possible, and I grant that because his statement about dieing was downgraded. But, I am going to be an optimist and believe that all concerned actually care for the kids welfare. Mom deserves her kid back and should bitchslap the doc.

There still isn't a right answer in this case. Had the kid died while mom was looking for alternates she'd have been tarred and feathered and folks would have howled wanting to know why the state hadn't intervened early on.

Fortune may favor the bold, but if we err let it be on the side of caution.

Mr. P said:
Did you read the story I posted? This was a tough call I'm sure, and all the onfo has not been revealed in anything I've read. There was enough evidence to compel the court to rule as they did though. Donno what it was, but I’ll assure you the court does not order state custody on a whim or simple request.

I disagree with the last statement. The state will remove a child from their home on nothing more than an accusation. Then the parents have to prove their worthiness.

And you are right. We DON'T know the particulars and are basically arguing on assumption. I happen to be taking the cynical stance.;)

pegwinn said:
Possible, and I grant that because his statement about dieing was downgraded. But, I am going to be an optimist and believe that all concerned actually care for the kids welfare. Mom deserves her kid back and should bitchslap the doc.

There still isn't a right answer in this case. Had the kid died while mom was looking for alternates she'd have been tarred and feathered and folks would have howled wanting to know why the state hadn't intervened early on.

Fortune may favor the bold, but if we err let it be on the side of caution.

I have a problem with the state having hypocritical, totalitarian control over our children. Doctors aren't always right (in my opinion and my experience just the opposite), and the state isn't always right.

In a life of death right this minute decision, I could see it because then Mom isn't acting in the best interest of the child. But I don't see that as a parameter here. Without that, I think the doctor and the state acted in knee-jerk fashion to someone not going along with the program.

While the child is in the womb, the mother has total control over it's life or death, even up to the point of birth via partial birth abortion, but once it is born, the gov't can take that control away in the interest of preserving the child's life.

:bs1:

Abbey Normal said:
While the child is in the womb, the mother has total control over it's life or death, even up to the point of birth via partial birth abortion, but once it is born, the gov't can take that control away in the interest of preserving the child's life.

:bs1:

I was fortunate enough to not have this happen to me/never be put in this situation. The state was MORE fortunate because Gunny does a Rambo routine when you screw with his kids.

Forum List

Back