State Takes Legal Action to Seize $135K From Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbian Couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
But on the other hand, you feel that the state's have a right to say who cannot be married? Hmm. Interesting to say the least.

You don't dispute that states have the authority about who can be married, unless you believe a man should be able to marry his sister, that is.

Gender isn't in there, and neither is disability, veteran status, or a host of others we use in the law to protect people from being treated unfair. Toaster ovens aren't in their either but we laws regulating them...
Toaster ovens don't own businesses, people do. Your point is that government can do anything it wants, regardless of the Constitution. It's purpose is to restrict government from trampling on our freedoms. Liberals invent laws to do exactly that. Freedom vs. tyranny.
No, it can do what is found to be constitutional, and PA laws are.

Really? Where?

Almost 3 in 4 millennials support same-sex marriage - The Boston Globe

Today’s US Supreme Court ruling falls upon a country in which the majority of residents support same-sex marriage.

As state after state opened its doors to same-sex marriage during the last decade, favorability among the American public grew, according to the Pew Research Center. And it continues to do so.

steadily climbed in the last decade, growing 24 percentage points.

America’s other adult generations have also shown increasing support for same-sex marriage in recent years. The majority of Gen Xers became proponents of it in 2012, increasing to 59 percent in 2015.

While the favorability ratings among baby boomers and the silent generation (those born from 1928 to 1945) are still below 50 percent, the percentage of people who support it in each generation has grown during the last 10 years.

Millennials lead in support for same-sex marriage

Percent of generation who favor same-sex marriage

MILLENNIALS

GEN X

BABY BOOMERS

SILENT GENERATION
DATA: Pew Research Center

Globe Staff

The influence of millennials isn’t only due to their more widespread acceptance of same-sex marriage but also by their size. They are the nation’s largest generation, making up more than a quarter of the US population, according to the US Census.

Millennial support for same-sex marriage does not break down on any political lines. Though overall, Democrats support same-sex marriage at higher rates than Republicans, the majority of millennials are in favor of it regardless of political affiliation.

Millennials in favor of same-sex marriage, regardless of political affiliation
Percent of generation in favor by political affiliation and/or leaning in 2015
Millennials: Democrats
82%
Millennials: Republicans
59%
Gen X: Democrats
71%
Gen X: Republicans
45%
Baby Boomer: Democrats
60%
Baby Boomer: Republicans
31%
Silent Generation: Democrats
54%
Silent Generation: Republicans
24%
SOURCE: Pew Research Center
GLOBE STAFF

Enthusiasm for same-sex marriage is almost ubiquitous in the LGBT community; only 7 percent of the LGBT population opposed it, according to a 2015 Pew study.

But within the community, the younger generation still has higher rates of support. Of LGBT millennials, 95 percent were in favor of same-sex marriage, and 82 percent were strongly in favor of it.

By comparison, 91 percent LGBT adults age 30 and older supported the legal marriage for gay and lesbian Americans, with 71 percent strongly in favor of it.

Millennials have just escaped from 16 years of liberal brainwashing. Who cares what they think?

PA laws are here to stay, kiddos. You'll just have to start dealing with the real world, for once.
...and pop, there goes his head right back up his ass, right on cue.

He's absolutely correct. Views like yours are becoming more and more obsolete. The younger generations don't look at things the same way.

It's true that truth is becoming obsolete - true and sad. That's why this country is swirling down the toilet bowl.

A LOT of gay people are actually business owners too. The laws apply to them too, regardless of how they might feel about straight people or religious people. The applies to everyone the same. You cannot discriminate based upon race, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation. That pretty much covers everyone, I think.

What about pedophiles? Don't they have a right to be served? What about Nazis? Does a Jewish baker have the right to refuse serving them?
THERE IT IS! :clap:

There what is? Are you clapping because someone threw you a sardine?
Congratulations for making the connection we've all been waiting for. :clap:

In your personal life, you can refuse to associate with whomever you wish. You can hate them. You can go online and rant about them. You can call them names, etc. Whatever floats your boat, but you cannot carry that over into your business practice. This was determined a LONG time ago by the SC.

Doing business is your personal life. Selling pencils never made you government's bitch

No, it is not your personal life. There are laws and regulations set forth by each state that you must follow and that you agree to follow whenever you pen your name to the legal document known as a business permit.

You mean it's not your personal life because the government has arrogated to itself the authority to control you. That's all you've said.
Bullshit. My business is my personal property.
No, it is not, depending upon the business.

It's either one person's property or multiple persons' property. One thing it isn't is government property.

A LOT of gay people are actually business owners too. The laws apply to them too, regardless of how they might feel about straight people or religious people. The applies to everyone the same. You cannot discriminate based upon race, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation. That pretty much covers everyone, I think.

What about pedophiles? Don't they have a right to be served? What about Nazis? Does a Jewish baker have the right to refuse serving them?

Oh, you mean between gays and pedophiles? I'm not the one to make the connection. I just note it when I observe it.

Probably because I was in lindergarten.

Why such ignorance? Do you not understand the way our laws work and the reason why they exist? Are you advocating for Americans to discriminate against gay people?

I'm not advocating it, but the freedom to associate also means the freedom to no associate for whatever reason you deem appropriate.

That applies to your personal life, yes. Not with your business practice. Not for "whatever" reason. Nope.

Bullshit. My business is my personal property. Why should government have any authority to tell me who I have to serve? Do you think government should have authority to force you to invite people into your home that you don't want to invite?

Have you been upset about it since 1964 or just recently?

I've disliked PA laws since I learned about them. Anyone who isn't a servile bootlicking government toady would feel the same way.

Oh, you mean between gays and pedophiles? I'm not the one to make the connection. I just note it when I observe it.
Of course you're not the one making the connection.........:eusa_whistle:

Sure, why not?

Muslim comes into a Jewish owned hardware store, wants to buy a pound of nails, various nuts and bolts, several pipes with ends that seal, some fuses, and the schedule for the bus servicing the the local Hebrew school.

In what insane universe does the shop not have the right to refuse service?

Or, a man walks into a black owned store in full clown, er clan regalia. He wants to buy some stout rope, 2x4's cut into lengths to make crosses, and some lighter fluid. What kind of moron would say the shop keeper cannot refuse service? (the democrat kind, of course.)

Public Access laws cannot exist in a free society. That they do exist is testament that a society is not free.

Probably because I was in lindergarten.

Why such ignorance? Do you not understand the way our laws work and the reason why they exist? Are you advocating for Americans to discriminate against gay people?

I'm not advocating it, but the freedom to associate also means the freedom to no associate for whatever reason you deem appropriate.

That applies to your personal life, yes. Not with your business practice. Not for "whatever" reason. Nope.

Bullshit. My business is my personal property. Why should government have any authority to tell me who I have to serve? Do you think government should have authority to force you to invite people into your home that you don't want to invite?
So...you don't follow government safety and health laws? Should that be cause for concern for anyone who does business with you or works for you?

Businesses are safe because they can get sued for millions of dollars if they injure their employees. It has been shown conclusively that government regulations haven't had any affect on worker safety.

Of course you're not the one making the connection.........:eusa_whistle:

Obviously the pedophiles and their defenders aren't going to make the connection.

What if the baker were an emergency room surgeon in a small hospital in the south, and he refused to operate on a critical patient because he was gay.

Does he have the right to let someone die because it would infringe on his religious rights.

Dumb example. Hospitals generally have more than one surgeon. The Hospital decides who the surgeon operates on, not the surgeon.

The punishment was not the couple's call.
Oh, so all they wanted was the bakers to get a real stern talking-to, huh?

Come on. Look at all the happiness with the fine here. Not a chance.
Initially, that were not seeking damages. After the bakery published their names and contact information and the "values voters" began harassing them, they probably changed their tune.
It's not their call tho.....this wasn't ever a lawsuit. It's strictly been the state fining the bakery.

They complained to the state. Otherwise it never would have happened. So it was their call.
Are you saying that people who have been victims of a law being broken shouldn't report it?

They weren't "victims" in any meaningful sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back