'State Secrets' Cited By White House To Block Targeted Killings Suit...

LibocalypseNow

Jul 30, 2009
http://theHill.com/blogs/blog-brief...viledge-to-block-lawsuit-on-targeted-killings

Pretty interesting and controversial issue. This White House has targeted known Terrorist and U.S. Citizen Anwar Awlaki for death or capture. This policy is now being challenged in court. So how do you feel about this White House targeting an American Citizen for death? I'm interested in hearing what people think about this. Thanks.

Last edited:
I always wonder if they shouldn't have found a way to strip him of his U.S. Citizenship first before targeting him for death. I'm not a legal expert so i'm sure they have their reasons for not doing that.

I'm dumbfounded!

If he's believed to be a traitorous murderer, he should be TRIED for his actions, to determine guilt,

and sentenced, accordingly.

WTF country am I living in, again?!?

I'm dumbfounded!

If he's believed to be a traitorous murderer, he should be TRIED for his actions, to determine guilt,

and sentenced, accordingly.

WTF country am I living in, again?!?

Yea this is a little bizarre. Not hearing much outrage from the MSM on this one. I wonder why? Hmm?

White House invokes state secrets privilege to block targeted killings suit - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Pretty interesting and controversial issue. This White House has targeted known Terrorist and U.S. Citizen Anwar Awlaki for death or capture. This policy is now being challenged in court. So how do you feel about this White House targeting an American Citizen for death? I'm interested in hearing what people think about this. Thanks.

hummm, do we have a legal right to do this? many fought for years up to the SC to provide constitutional protections to non citizens, yet we have announced a predetermined death sentence on a US citizen? Interesting.... :eusa_think:

White House invokes state secrets privilege to block targeted killings suit - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

hummm, do we have a legal right to do this? many fought for years up to the SC to provide constitutional protections to non citizens, yet we have announced a predetermined death sentence on a US citizen? Interesting.... :eusa_think:
It's constitutional because the executive branch says it's constitutional! and of course, they can't allow the courts to make a determination because it's a state secret!

A shitstorm of executive power.

Yea and it is weird that you're not hearing much outrage on this from the usual suspects. Where did they all go? Why so quiet on this?

If an American citizen were to become the actual head of al qaeda, would the law demand that we are somehow obliged to "try" him as a criminal (treason, perhaps)? Or, would we be within our lawful rights to target the leader of an international organization waging war on the United States (and against whom we ARE at war)?

And what if that same American citizen is not the new "head" of al qaeda but is instead just one of that terrorist organization's more active high-echelon members? Does that change the analysis as to whether or not we are legally entitled to target him?

If Adolf fucking Hitler had been a joint citizen of Germany and the United States,* would it have been somehow unlawful to target him for death during WWII?

If an American citizen were to become the actual head of al qaeda, would the law demand that we are somehow obliged to "try" him as a criminal (treason, perhaps)? Or, would we be within our lawful rights to target the leader of an international organization waging war on the United States (and against whom we ARE at war)?

And what if that same American citizen is not the new "head" of al qaeda but is instead just one of that terrorist organization's more active high-echelon members? Does that change the analysis as to whether or not we are legally entitled to target him?

If Adolf fucking Hitler had been a joint citizen of Germany and the United States,* would it have been somehow unlawful to target him for death during WWII?

Interesting questions. I don't think i have the answers though.

I suspect we are on opposite sides of this issue, LibocalypseNow. I support extra-judicial killing power for the POTUS and IMO, it's perfectly legal. But what interests me is, the state secret card gets played on this lawsuit -- which concerns a death warrant that the entire world knows we have issued -- but not on the WikiLeaks case, where actual classified documents were leaked?

Now you see it, now you don't......

I suspect we are on opposite sides of this issue, LibocalypseNow. I support extra-judicial killing power for the POTUS and IMO, it's perfectly legal. But what interests me is, the state secret card gets played on this lawsuit -- which concerns a death warrant that the entire world knows we have issued -- but not on the WikiLeaks case, where actual classified documents were leaked?

sure it the point that I think bares scrutiny is where are the voices and outrage? when bush was excoriated for his cowboy," bring'em to justice" shtick we heard long and loud that he was everything from a butcher denying fundamental rights to adolf hitler...

I look forward to the wash post, ny times, mslsd nbc, cbs, abc npr, op-eds taking Justice and Obama to task.

As I noted in a recent thread giving props to President Obama, the Administration DID invoke the State Secrets doctrine (among other things) to seek the dismissal (summary judgment motion) against the plaintiffs in the lawsuit challenging the NSA Surveillance program.

Now, on THIS use of Presidential powers, the Administration is doing it again. (More props from me, even if the use of it this time is more concerning in some ways).

But I agree with Madeline that it is passing strange that the same Administration isn't attempting (so far as I can see) to use the doctrine in the WikiLeaks matter.

It DOES raise the question: why not? What is the Administration's basis to say that, in the prior two matters, the doctrine is properly asserted, but in the latter case, it isn't?

9/11 changed everything, now stfu!

As I noted in a recent thread giving props to President Obama, the Administration DID invoke the State Secrets doctrine (among other things) to seek the dismissal (summary judgment motion) against the plaintiffs in the lawsuit challenging the NSA Surveillance program.

Now, on THIS use of Presidential powers, the Administration is doing it again. (More props from me, even if the use of it this time is more concerning in some ways).

But I agree with Madeline that it is passing strange that the same Administration isn't attempting (so far as I can see) to use the doctrine in the WikiLeaks matter.

It DOES raise the question: why not? What is the Administration's basis to say that, in the prior two matters, the doctrine is properly asserted, but in the latter case, it isn't?

frankly? incompetence. I don't think they even have an overall policy or doctrine set in place, direction that drives implementation or positions staked out, they just run from fire to fire....for instance whats going on with KSM?

9/11 changed everything, now stfu!

its sarcasm dude, calm down.

You are taking enormous liberties with your definition of war.

The SC has already found that the war on terror didn't apply outside Afghanistan. As in indefinite detentions without trial and unlawful combatant status could not be applied to folks, say, kidnapped in Italy.

They can be if and only if they are captured on the battlefield, which is Afghanistan.

And we were at war with Germany. Declared war.

I'm wondering if we would be seeing a different reaction from the usual suspects if this were DA BOOOOOOOSH doing this? Hmm?

Forum List

Back