State operated insurance funds.

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
In Idaho we were an employer so we were required to have work comp insurance. My first year I purchased WC insurance through my insurance broker. The next year I learned about the state operated workers comp program. The initial policy cost were comparable. Long term though the state operated fund was the best. Since we rarely had any injuries and those in a similar line of work rarely had any injuries we would receive a nice check back the next year in most years. The year after an employee bummed up a shoulder while she was running on the ice we did not get as big of a refund yet we still got a refund. I do not see why our government cannot operate a similar program to make insurance available for the uninsured and small business. If this is going to be a push for both parties why not look at a sensible solution instead of looking for ways someone can get their fingers further into the public's cookie jar?

Most of the time workman's comp here is okay, but there are a lot of abuses and the first thing you have to do if you become disabled in an on the job injury is hire a lawyer because if you don't you will never collect. Doesn't matter how many doctors confirm your case and what your employer has to say about it until you take the state to court you won't get a dime in most case.

Forum List

Back