State of the Union: Barack Obama gets an F for world leadership

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Once again our friends accross the pond are showing their distaste for our dear leader.

But the scant attention paid in the State of the Union speech to US leadership was pitiful and frankly rather pathetic. The war in Afghanistan, which will soon involve a hundred thousand American troops, merited barely a paragraph. There was no mention of victory over the enemy, just a reiteration of the president’s pledge to begin a withdrawal in July 2011.

Significantly, the global war against al-Qaeda was hardly mentioned, and there were no measures outlined to enhance US security at a time of mounting threats from Islamist terrorists. Terrorism is a top issue for American voters, but President Obama displayed what can only be described as a stunning indifference towards the defence of the homeland.

The Iranian nuclear threat, likely to be the biggest foreign policy issue of 2010, was given just two lines in the speech, with a half-hearted warning of “growing consequences” for Tehran, with no details given at all. There were no words of support for Iranian protestors who have been murdered, tortured and beaten in large numbers by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s thuggish security forces, and no sign at all that the president cared about their plight. Nor was there any condemnation of the brutality of the Iranian regime, as well as its blatant sponsorship of terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Obama’s world leadership in his first year in office has been weak-kneed and little short of disastrous. He has sacrificed the projection of American power upon the altar of political vanity, with empty speeches and groveling apologies across the world, from Strasbourg to Cairo. He has appeased some of America’s worst enemies, and has extended the hand of friendship to many of the most odious regimes on the face of the earth. Judging by the State of the Union address tonight, we can expect more of the same from an American president who seems determined to lead the world’s greatest power along a path of decline.

State of the Union: Barack Obama gets an F for world leadership – Telegraph Blogs

Once again our friends accross the pond are showing their distaste for our dear leader.

But the scant attention paid in the State of the Union speech to US leadership was pitiful and frankly rather pathetic. The war in Afghanistan, which will soon involve a hundred thousand American troops, merited barely a paragraph. There was no mention of victory over the enemy, just a reiteration of the president’s pledge to begin a withdrawal in July 2011.

Significantly, the global war against al-Qaeda was hardly mentioned, and there were no measures outlined to enhance US security at a time of mounting threats from Islamist terrorists. Terrorism is a top issue for American voters, but President Obama displayed what can only be described as a stunning indifference towards the defence of the homeland.

The Iranian nuclear threat, likely to be the biggest foreign policy issue of 2010, was given just two lines in the speech, with a half-hearted warning of “growing consequences” for Tehran, with no details given at all. There were no words of support for Iranian protestors who have been murdered, tortured and beaten in large numbers by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s thuggish security forces, and no sign at all that the president cared about their plight. Nor was there any condemnation of the brutality of the Iranian regime, as well as its blatant sponsorship of terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Obama’s world leadership in his first year in office has been weak-kneed and little short of disastrous. He has sacrificed the projection of American power upon the altar of political vanity, with empty speeches and groveling apologies across the world, from Strasbourg to Cairo. He has appeased some of America’s worst enemies, and has extended the hand of friendship to many of the most odious regimes on the face of the earth. Judging by the State of the Union address tonight, we can expect more of the same from an American president who seems determined to lead the world’s greatest power along a path of decline.

State of the Union: Barack Obama gets an F for world leadership – Telegraph Blogs

So?

We've had so many complaints about American foreign policy and our ubiquitous presence around the world... that I think sometimes both Democrats and Libertarians forget that so many other nations are counting on us. We're the voice of freedom, a moral conscience that speaks of human rights and equality. And those messages can't get out if we're not strong enough to defend them at need.

In the GWOT, our message until now has been consistent.... "terrorism is wrong and it won't be tolerated". Our allies have thrown in with us on that, knowing that we'd defend our statement. And now with Obama, that message is inconsistent. Our allies no longer have complete confidence in our will on the matter. Their asses are hanging out without the surety in knowledge that they can yet count on us.

Obama's stance on Honduras this past year is a good example. Once, the notion that America would support an attempted dictator over the Constitution of a peaceful, Democratic, sovereign nation would be unthinkable. But this past week, the USA was booed by Hondurans at the inauguration of their new president for just that very thing.

Our foreign policy has become nonexistent under Obama; our mood, mercurial. Obama has made this country into an unpredictable force that our friends no longer understand.

We've had so many complaints about American foreign policy and our ubiquitous presence around the world... that I think sometimes both Democrats and Libertarians forget that so many other nations are counting on us. We're the voice of freedom, a moral conscience that speaks of human rights and equality. And those messages can't get out if we're not strong enough to defend them at need.

In the GWOT, our message until now has been consistent.... "terrorism is wrong and it won't be tolerated". Our allies have thrown in with us on that, knowing that we'd defend our statement. And now with Obama, that message is inconsistent. Our allies no longer have complete confidence in our will on the matter. Their asses are hanging out without the surety in knowledge that they can yet count on us.

Obama's stance on Honduras this past year is a good example. Once, the notion that America would support an attempted dictator over the Constitution of a peaceful, Democratic, sovereign nation would be unthinkable. But this past week, the USA was booed by Hondurans at the inauguration of their new president for just that very thing.

Our foreign policy has become nonexistent under Obama; our mood, mercurial. Obama has made this country into an unpredictable force that our friends no longer understand.

was that an attempt at satire?

If you don't have anything to add to the discussion... why are you stinking up Xeno's thread? :eusa_eh:
Either address the commentary or shove off. Otherwise, you're just showing us your poor manners.

If you don't have anything to add to the discussion... why are you stinking up Xeno's thread? :eusa_eh:
Either address the commentary or shove off. Otherwise, you're just showing us your poor manners.

so no satire then, huh? here: i'll add something. your delusion regarding the image of the USofA outside of the USofA is laughable. "supporting dictators unthinkable", "moral conscience that speaks of human rights and equaltiy", "voice of freedom". what crap?

where do you live, in front of the TV and watching patriotic movies about WWII?

Back off Murf. I normally like and appreciate your posts as they are USUALLY well thought out and devoid of partisan politics. THIS particular post lacks thought and includes your partisan thoughts. So no, there is nothing to add to your discussion. You are on a soap box, and have no desire to "discuss" anything with this post.

so no satire then, huh? here: i'll add something. your delusion regarding the image of the USofA outside of the USofA is laughable. "supporting dictators unthinkable", "moral conscience that speaks of human rights and equaltiy", "voice of freedom". what crap?

Yeah... THAT's where I live. :rolleyes:
What are you, 13 years old or something? Grow the fuck up already.

You liberals are like little children, who think what they see on TV is real. Yes, there's been quite a bit of criticism about our presence around the world, the bulk of it coming from idiot terrorists who can't seem to make up their minds from day to day why it is that they hate us. But what we see on TV and in the news is generally not the norm. Here in the U.S., for example, we see all sorts of criminal behavior shot across our television screens and splashed in the headlines of our papers. And while it's true that violent crime happens, it's NOT the norm. The majority of our citizens are decent, law-abiding, compassionate people. Most will never commit a violent crime, or even have one perpetrated upon them.

Why do you think we have such heavy backlogs of prospective immigrants and so many already living here illegally? Do you think that's because America is hated all over the globe? :eusa_eh:

I'm at a loss as to how you people live and function in such a constant state of pessimism. But I've noted that it appears a consistent trait among liberals.

You liberals are like little children, who think what they see on TV is real. Yes, there's been quite a bit of criticism about our presence around the world, the bulk of it coming from idiot terrorists who can't seem to make up their minds from day to day why it is that they hate us. But what we see on TV and in the news is generally not the norm. Here in the U.S., for example, we see all sorts of criminal behavior shot across our television screens and splashed in the headlines of our papers. And while it's true that violent crime happens, it's NOT the norm. The majority of our citizens are decent, law-abiding, compassionate people. Most will never commit a violent crime, or even have one perpetrated upon them.

Why do you think we have such heavy backlogs of prospective immigrants and so many already living here illegally? Do you think that's because America is hated all over the globe? :eusa_eh:

I'm at a loss as to how you people live and function in such a constant state of pessimism. But I've noted that it appears a consistent trait among liberals.

So now Ron Paul is now a TERRORIST?

And I am guessing you do not live in L.A. or Chicago, with your rose colored glasses picture our of United States.

Which GOP senator was it that likened our aid to Haiti, to feeding strays? Compassion, my ass.

you huff and you puff. i think you could not have put more clichés in your adorable rant if you tried. read a tom clancy book, then you will feel all real american like and powerful, smurf.

Back off Murf. I normally like and appreciate your posts as they are USUALLY well thought out and devoid of partisan politics. THIS particular post lacks thought and includes your partisan thoughts. So no, there is nothing to add to your discussion. You are on a soap box, and have no desire to "discuss" anything with this post.

My criticism of Obama's foreign policy, or lack thereof, isn't "partisan". It doesn't matter to me what party he's from when he's fucking up globally.

He has NO EXCUSE for the way he did Honduras. Their Constitution was crystal clear. They're a sovereign nation. And they were posing no threat whatsoever to our national security in their rejection of Zelaya.
Further, you'd think with war on two fronts, Obama could manage a little more detail in his SOTU and perhaps some support and assurance for our allies who were obviously watching.

I'll give you this though... overall, I find myself in disagreement with Libertarians and leftwing Democrats in foreign policy, finding their views to be largely myopic and devoid of the realities our technological advances in travel and communications have necessitated. In fact, this is my only area of disagreement with Libertarians. I agree with them on nearly everything else. THIS, you may call partisan. Because it's a rejection of personal involvement with national parties.

you huff and you puff. i think you could not have put more clichés in your adorable rant if you tried. read a tom clancy book, then you will feel all real american like and powerful, smurf.

Piss off then. I've given you ample opportunity to engage in legitimate discussion, with openings on immigration, Honduran policy, crime, media, etc... And you choose insults instead. Welcome to the echo chamber of my iggy list. You're not worth bothering with.

My criticism of Obama's foreign policy, or lack thereof, isn't "partisan". It doesn't matter to me what party he's from when he's fucking up globally.

He has NO EXCUSE for the way he did Honduras. Their Constitution was crystal clear. They're a sovereign nation. And they were posing no threat whatsoever to our national security in their rejection of Zelaya.
Further, you'd think with war on two fronts, Obama could manage a little more detail in his SOTU and perhaps some support and assurance for our allies who were obviously watching.

I'll give you this though... overall, I find myself in disagreement with Libertarians and leftwing Democrats in foreign policy, finding their views to be largely myopic and devoid of the realities our technological advances in travel and communications have necessitated. In fact, this is my only area of disagreement with Libertarians. I agree with them on nearly everything else. THIS, you may call partisan. Because it's a rejection of personal involvement with national parties.

I don't care about your views on Libertarians. This whole post is premised on "our friends across the pond"....which in reality, is a SINGLE BLOGGER who lives across the pond. That SHOULD have been enough to make you stop and think, but alas, you chose to puke instead...

[
I don't care about your views on Libertarians. This whole post is premised on "our friends across the pond"....which in reality, is a SINGLE BLOGGER who lives across the pond. That SHOULD have been enough to make you stop and think, but alas, you chose to puke instead...

If you don't care about my view on Libertarians.. why did you accuse me of calling Dr. Paul a "terrorist" just one page back or of being "partisan" in my reply???

There's nothing at all "partisan" about my criticism of Obama. The guy is a total fuck-up. Being a "Democrat" doesn't MAKE him a fuck-up. Being a SOCIALIST who pretends to be a Democrat is what makes him a fuck-up. And being a novice without innate talent, coupled with a dysfunctional ideology, has him fucking-up all over the world stage.

It's not true that the only criticism from over the pond stems from a single blogger. I've been reading heavy criticism from the British and Canadian right since before the election. And in places like Israel, an ally of long-standing, the last approval rating I saw for Obama was something like 4%.

This guy needs to understand who our friends are and to differentiate them from our enemies. He has no excuse for not supporting the Honduran people, or for that matter, the Iranian people in their struggle for freedom from theocratic tyranny. It's a few words. We're not expecting that he go into Iran and liberate them, but a little emotional support and condolence isn't much to ask.

nile gardiner is a brit who lives and works in washington, dc.

[

If you don't care about my view on Libertarians.. why did you accuse me of calling Dr. Paul a "terrorist" just one page back or of being "partisan" in my reply???

There's nothing at all "partisan" about my criticism of Obama. The guy is a total fuck-up. Being a "Democrat" doesn't MAKE him a fuck-up. Being a SOCIALIST who pretends to be a Democrat is what makes him a fuck-up. And being a novice without innate talent, coupled with a dysfunctional ideology, has him fucking-up all over the world stage.

It's not true that the only criticism from over the pond stems from a single blogger. I've been reading heavy criticism from the British and Canadian right since before the election. And in places like Israel, an ally of long-standing, the last approval rating I saw for Obama was something like 4%.

This guy needs to understand who our friends are and to differentiate them from our enemies. He has no excuse for not supporting the Honduran people, or for that matter, the Iranian people in their struggle for freedom from theocratic tyranny. It's a few words. We're not expecting that he go into Iran and liberate them, but a little emotional support and condolence isn't much to ask.

Are you SERIOUS???? "a little emotional support and condolence"? Wow....I will rethink you and your views. Tell you what, if you are SO interested in what the folks across the pond think of us, AND you want us involved in world affairs everywhere, why don't you ask those blokes why they have provided such a tiny fraction of the total ground forces in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Obama is an empty suit.. a nothing. His state of the union address was the rantings of an insolent child; incredibly immature and narcissistic.

Forum List

Back