State of Palestine

Jos

Rookie
Feb 6, 2010
After upgrading status, UN officially switches from ‘Palestine’ to ‘State of Palestine’
The body now refers to Mahmoud Abbas as ‘head of state’

While legislative scholars and political pundits continue to debate the exact meaning of the upgrade of the Palestinians to a nonmember observer state, the United Nations last week officially changed the way it refers to the body: it’s now the “State of Palestine,” as opposed to merely “Palestine.”

The name change is based on an opinion by the UN’s legal department, and might not have any practical implications on the ground, Israeli officials say. But on a symbolic level, the decision will likely boost aspirations of Palestinian leaders who hope their newly gained status will help them establish a full-fledged independent state.

Immediately after the General Assembly vote to upgrade the Palestinians on November 29, UN officials still opposed Palestinian diplomats’ efforts to independently change “Palestine” to “State of Palestine” in the formal name of their permanent observer mission.
After upgrading status, UN officially switches from 'Palestine' to 'State of Palestine' | The Times of Israel

After upgrading status, UN officially switches from ‘Palestine’ to ‘State of Palestine’

While legislative scholars and political pundits continue to debate the exact meaning of the upgrade of the Palestinians to a nonmember observer state, the United Nations last week officially changed the way it refers to the body: it’s now the “State of Palestine,” as opposed to merely “Palestine.”

The name change is based on an opinion by the UN’s legal department, and might not have any practical implications on the ground, Israeli officials say. But on a symbolic level, the decision will likely boost aspirations of Palestinian leaders who hope their newly gained status will help them establish a full-fledged independent state.

Immediately after the General Assembly vote to upgrade the Palestinians on November 29, UN officials still opposed Palestinian diplomats’ efforts to independently change “Palestine” to “State of Palestine” in the formal name of their permanent observer mission.
After upgrading status, UN officially switches from 'Palestine' to 'State of Palestine' | The Times of Israel

I like it. The " State of Palestine" without Israel going back to the Borders that the Arabs themselves have never acknowledged or found acceptable. :D

They can call themselves a kangaroo, but it still won't get them into the zoo for free.

Nor will calling them a state make them one.

They aren't a state and never will be- not here.

Uh Oh, "State of Palestine." How will the Palestinians survive if that means self determination without having Israel to provide for them any longer?

• Banned
They were doing just fine before israel turned up on their doorstep

They were doing just fine before israel turned up on their doorstep

They were doing fine before 1967? ( After all, that is what we keep hearing about). I forgot... There wasn't a " Palestinian State" there. I wonder if Egypt and Jordan knew that?? :D

Uh Oh, "State of Palestine." How will the Palestinians survive if that means self determination without having Israel to provide for them any longer?

As the occupying power, Israel is still responsible for Palestine's welfare. The only way for Israel to drop that obligation would be to end the occupation.

BINGO! So right you are. I've said it before & I'll say it again. Unless & until Israel ends the occupation by finding an incentive to offer the surrounding Arab countries to grant their Palestinians a right of return back to their indigenous homelands there will be no peace between Israel & the Palestinians.

As the occupying power, Israel is still responsible for Palestine's welfare. The only way for Israel to drop that obligation would be to end the occupation.

According to Jos, Abbas is recognized by the UN as the State of Palestine's head-of-state. I believe you and BecauseIKnowSquat have a different opinion. Why wasn't Hamas's Haniya recognized?

According to Jos, Abbas is recognized by the UN as the State of Palestine's head-of-state. I believe you and BecauseIKnowSquat have a different opinion. Why wasn't Hamas's Haniya recognized?

No mate, follow the link, According to After upgrading status, UN officially switches from 'Palestine' to 'State of Palestine' | The Times of Israel
DYOD jews have been known to Lie

I simply used your headline, [The body now refers to Mahmoud Abbas as ‘head of state’] Princess. :D

BINGO! So right you are. I've said it before & I'll say it again. Unless & until Israel ends the occupation by finding an incentive to offer the surrounding Arab countries to grant their Palestinians a right of return back to their indigenous homelands there will be no peace between Israel & the Palestinians.

I guess that will mean NO PEACE. " Right of Return" lol Just hope they keep demanding it :D

I sure hope this "State of Palestine" means the Palestinians will now have to build & use their own hospitals to keep the Palestinians alive & well instead of sucking off of Israels.

I guess that will mean NO PEACE. " Right of Return" lol Just hope they keep demanding it :D

I sure hope this "State of Palestine" means the Palestinians will now have to build & use their own hospitals to keep the Palestinians alive & well instead of sucking off of Israels.

But then who will they blame for their misfortunes??

Forum List

Back