State governments slamming the door on new potential contractors

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
You people need to start fighting for your rights.

I've been reading the contractor requirements for California , Nevada , and Arizona. they've made changes in the last 10 years that I can't live with.

First of all, why is it so important to have people vouch for your experience?
You go to the state and take an HVAC test, score a 90% ,(they have it set up so no one scores a 100%), and you can't become a contractor because you don't have signed forms of people saying you can do the work.

What's the big deal?

1) Unless you had an apprentice in the van with you, for the last 4 years, it's not possible for a person to truly vouch for years of experience.

2) The states say "no problem, have a former employer vouch for you". Yeah , like a former employer is going to bless you into becoming his new competition.

3) The states say "no problem, have a former customer vouch for you" . So you're going to go give the state a stack of forms, of all the customers you did work for, without a contractor's license. Don't for get to tell them you didn't pay any taxes either.

4) Now the states are requiring these experience forms be notarized.
So you're going to go to your co-workers and nice customers, and have them fill out an experience form, with a notary standing there, and a big sentence at the bottom that reads "ANY FALSE STATEMENTS IS A CRIME IN THIS STATE", Some states are now "FELONY"

People don't want to get involved with the government, the average person is not going to want anything to do with a threat of a felony. It's certainly not important enough to them, to see you become a contractor.

The state of Nevada now requires 4 experience forms.

When I called Nevada about a year ago, they abolished their contract minimum allowance. That means, if you go to someone's house as a "handyman" and replace an AC part, and collect a bill, according to the state of Nevada, no matter what the amount, you're a criminal.

I was reading the Arizona requirements, and if I read it right, they don't even tell you how much the license is now, it says residential somewhere between $1000 and $15000, and they demand that you contribute to some customer protection fund.

I think Arizona also requires you to submit your financial history.

The bond insurance requirements have been raised too

th

th

th

Guild system.

Welcome to the progressive dark ages where you can't even wipe your butt without the king's permission.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I've been reading the contractor requirements for California , Nevada , and Arizona. they've made changes in the last 10 years that I can't live with.

You go to the state and take an HVAC test, score a 90% ,(they have it set up so no one scores a 100%), and you can't become a contractor because you don't have signed forms of people saying you can do the work.

What's the big deal?

1) Unless you had an apprentice in the van with you, for the last 4 years, it's not possible for a person to truly vouch for years of experience.

2) The states say "no problem, have a former employer vouch for you". Yeah , like a former employer is going to bless you into becoming his new competition.

3) The states say "no problem, have a former customer vouch for you" . So you're going to go give the state a stack of forms, of all the customers you did work for, without a contractor's license. Don't for get to tell them you didn't pay any taxes either.

So you're going to go to your co-workers and nice customers, and have them fill out an experience form, with a notary standing there, and a big sentence at the bottom that reads "ANY FALSE STATEMENTS IS A CRIME IN THIS STATE", Some states are now "FELONY"

People don't want to get involved with the government, the average person is not going to want anything to do with a threat of a felony. It's certainly not important enough to them, to see you become a contractor.

When I called Nevada about a year ago, they abolished their contract minimum allowance. That means, if you go to someone's house as a "handyman" and replace an AC part, and collect a bill, according to the state of Nevada, no matter what the amount, you're a criminal.

I was reading the Arizona requirements, and if I read it right, they don't even tell you how much the license is now, it says residential somewhere between $1000 and $15000, and they demand that you contribute to some customer protection fund.

Well look at Nancy Pelosi's husbands contract company involved in no bid contracts for failing and failed projects. Do you really want these companies tied to big millionaires in Congress to be able to get these contracts?

What's the big deal?

Making 90% on that test means you can take the test. It has nothing to do with whether you know how to do the work. Documenting your history is the only way to do that.

Forum List

Back