State Department: Wikileaks Did Not Cause Any Lasting Damage

State Department: Wikileaks Did Not Cause Any Lasting Damage

The damage caused by the WikiLeaks controversy has caused little real and lasting damage to American diplomacy, senior state department officials have concluded.

It emerged in private briefings to Congress by top diplomats that the fallout from the release of thousands of private diplomatic cables from all over the globe has not been especially bad.

This is in direct opposition to the official stance of the White House and the US government which has been vocal in condemning the whistle-blowing organisation and seeking to bring its founder, Julian Assange, to trial in the US.

A congressional official briefed on the reviews told Reuters news agency that the administration felt compelled to say publicly that the revelations had seriously damaged American interests in order to bolster legal efforts to shut down the WikiLeaks website and bring charges against the leakers. “I think they want to present the toughest front they can muster,” the official said.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

define 'lasting'....

Its an act of treason by the man who released them.

It is only an act of espionage if it is found that Assange intentionally seeked out someone to get the docs.
If, instead, the traitor offered them up to Assange unprompted, it is nothing more than journalsim.

Dont get me wrong...I am angered that Assange released them to the public and I would love to see him tried and convicted for something....but legally, I just dont see where he broke thew law.

I thought treason only applied if you were a citizen..

Either way, release of classified information is a crime
Be careful with your wording. None of the files were marked 'classified', if I remember correctly. They were marked 'secret' and 'not for foreign eyes', which are lowere classifications.

Steve Kroft made that error last night on '60 Minutes'.

That's not true. "Classified" just means that a document is deemed sensitive. The different levels are of Classified are Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret. Then there are other restrictions, that can be applied at these levels.

In my eyes, wikileaks did more good thasn bad to our national security.

One thing for sure, we will NEVER allow classified information to get out again.
I guess we're gonna FIND OUT!!!!!!

December 21, 2011

China Hackers Breached
U.S. Chamber Of Commerce

532.gif

"The Chamber of Commerce employs 450 people and represents business interests in Congress, including most of the largest U.S. corporations.

The newspaper reported that the emails revealed the names of companies and key people in contact with the Chamber, as well as trade-policy documents, meeting notes, trip reports and schedules."

529.gif
529.gif
529.gif
529.gif
529.gif

Forum List

Back