State Department: Wikileaks Did Not Cause Any Lasting Damage

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008

The damage caused by the WikiLeaks controversy has caused little real and lasting damage to American diplomacy, senior state department officials have concluded.

It emerged in private briefings to Congress by top diplomats that the fallout from the release of thousands of private diplomatic cables from all over the globe has not been especially bad.

This is in direct opposition to the official stance of the White House and the US government which has been vocal in condemning the whistle-blowing organisation and seeking to bring its founder, Julian Assange, to trial in the US.

A congressional official briefed on the reviews told Reuters news agency that the administration felt compelled to say publicly that the revelations had seriously damaged American interests in order to bolster legal efforts to shut down the WikiLeaks website and bring charges against the leakers. “I think they want to present the toughest front they can muster,” the official said.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

In my eyes, wikileaks did more good thasn bad to our national security.

One thing for sure, we will NEVER allow classified information to get out again.

A lesson well learned at what appears to be a very small to no real cost.

WikiLeaks Fallout: Undermining Egypt as Mideast Mediator

The flood of classified U.S. diplomatic cables released on Sunday by WikiLeaks threatens to further undermine Egypt's already questionable role as a neutral mediator between Palestinian factions, embarrass the U.S. in one of its most important Middle Eastern allies and expose the authoritarian regime of President Hosni Mubarak to more criticism in the aftermath of a parliamentary election this past weekend that was marred by widespread accounts of fraud and abuse.

For Cairo, the country's current preoccupation with an election that fell on the same day as the WikiLeaks disclosure may serve to distract the public for the time being. Egyptian newspapers on Monday devoted some attention to the leaks, but focused on revelations regarding their neighbors and other countries — not Egypt. Meanwhile a Foreign Ministry spokesman declined to comment on the documents' impact — indicating that he was not up to speed on the details and was currently in Libya. But inevitably, analysts say, details of Egypt's hard-line stance on Hamas, as well as its close cooperation with Israel, will provide fresh fodder for Egypt's largest opposition group, the Muslim Brotherhood, which suffered serious losses in the weekend's poll.

WikiLeaks Files Threaten Egypt's Role as Neutral Mideast Mediator - TIME

:eusa_whistle:

Small to no real cost? I'm not so sure. Those dispatches related to Egypt might have a little something to do with something going on right now - and what our relationship will be with whomever comes out on top when the dust clears.

One of Brotherhood's strongest talking points against Mubarak's deeply unpopular regime has been its allegedly close relationship with Israel — a neighbor still widely vilified by the Egyptian public. Thanks to the diplomatic cables, Egypt may now have to account for fresh details regarding its cooperation with the Jewish state, as well as its role as a regional peace broker. "I think the most important thing is the link between these documents that explain everything and the crackdown on democracy and the crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood," says Essam al-Erian, a member of the Brotherhood's politburo. "If there was a democracy in Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood became more powerful, this would threaten this good relationship between Egypt and the Israelis."

Read more: WikiLeaks Files Threaten Egypt's Role as Neutral Mideast Mediator - TIME

Small to no real cost? I'm not so sure. Those dispatches related to Egypt might have a little something to do with something going on right now - and what our relationship will be with whomever comes out on top when the dust clears.

One of Brotherhood's strongest talking points against Mubarak's deeply unpopular regime has been its allegedly close relationship with Israel — a neighbor still widely vilified by the Egyptian public. Thanks to the diplomatic cables, Egypt may now have to account for fresh details regarding its cooperation with the Jewish state, as well as its role as a regional peace broker. "I think the most important thing is the link between these documents that explain everything and the crackdown on democracy and the crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood," says Essam al-Erian, a member of the Brotherhood's politburo. "If there was a democracy in Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood became more powerful, this would threaten this good relationship between Egypt and the Israelis."

Read more: WikiLeaks Files Threaten Egypt's Role as Neutral Mideast Mediator - TIME

Jinx! :lol:

Doesn't matter

It is still an act of espionage...throw them in jail when you catch them

Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010

What may be more worrying to the Egyptian government, however, is a blow to the state's credibility as a regional peace broker. For years, Mubarak's regime has presented itself as the only diplomatic actor capable of resolving the 2007 split between Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah that left Hamas in control of Gaza and Fatah in control of the West Bank. Palestinians deem reconciliation critical to the success of any peace deal with Israel, but many accuse Egypt of being a biased mediator and therefore unfit for the job. The disclosed documents appear to leave little doubt as to where Egypt stands.

"Mubarak hates Hamas and considers them the same as Egypt's own Muslim Brotherhood, which he sees as his own most dangerous political threat," Scobey said in the February 2009 cable. Another cable detailing a meeting between Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman and General David Petraeus, of the U.S. Central Command, in the same year revealed Suleiman was pessimistic about prospects of reaching a deal. "I consider myself a patient man, but I am losing patience," Suleiman told Petraeus. He said Egypt was committed to undermining Hamas and building popular support for Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the West.

"Hamas will use that [cable] to launch a campaign against Egyptian diplomacy and accuse Egypt of playing a disruptive role in the continued reconciliation," predicts Emad Gad, an international-relations analyst at al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies in Cairo. "They can harm the Egyptian mediation role."

At the same time, the leaks revealed a sometimes tense relationship between the U.S. and one of its staunchest regional allies. "The Egyptians have long felt that, at best, we take them for granted, and at worst, we deliberately ignore their advice while trying to force our point of view on them," Scobey briefed Clinton in the February 2009 cable. The ambassador describes the second largest recipient of U.S. military aid as "very often a stubborn and recalcitrant ally. In addition, Egypt's self-perception as the 'indispensible Arab state' is contingent on Egyptian effectiveness on regional issues, including Sudan, Lebanon and Iraq." She suggested that Clinton praise Egypt's importance in regional affairs.

WikiLeaks Files Threaten Egypt's Role as Neutral Mideast Mediator - TIME

Doesn't matter

Its an act of treason by the man who released them.

It is only an act of espionage if it is found that Assange intentionally seeked out someone to get the docs.
If, instead, the traitor offered them up to Assange unprompted, it is nothing more than journalsim.

Dont get me wrong...I am angered that Assange released them to the public and I would love to see him tried and convicted for something....but legally, I just dont see where he broke thew law.

The damage caused by the WikiLeaks controversy has caused little real and lasting damage to American diplomacy, senior state department officials have concluded.

It emerged in private briefings to Congress by top diplomats that the fallout from the release of thousands of private diplomatic cables from all over the globe has not been especially bad.

This is in direct opposition to the official stance of the White House and the US government which has been vocal in condemning the whistle-blowing organisation and seeking to bring its founder, Julian Assange, to trial in the US.

A congressional official briefed on the reviews told Reuters news agency that the administration felt compelled to say publicly that the revelations had seriously damaged American interests in order to bolster legal efforts to shut down the WikiLeaks website and bring charges against the leakers. “I think they want to present the toughest front they can muster,” the official said.

Yes, right! And the borders are secure too! Yaya team yaya.

Doesn't matter

It is only an act of espionage if it is found that Assange intentionally seeked out someone to get the docs.
If, instead, the traitor offered them up to Assange unprompted, it is nothing more than journalsim.

Dont get me wrong...I am angered that Assange released them to the public and I would love to see him tried and convicted for something....but legally, I just dont see where he broke thew law.

I thought treason only applied if you were a citizen..

Either way, release of classified information is a crime

Doesn't matter

The individual that released them TO Assange was an American Citizen...that is who should be tried for treason.

A non American then PUBLISHING them is not guilty of a crime as they were no longer classified once they reached his hands...they were public documents.

Assange did not release them. He published them.

The original faux AMerican soldier is the one who declassified them and released them and THAT is an act of treason as he was not authorized to de-classify them.

Translated: Please ignore the lack of investigation into the leaks and please don't question America's lack of security.

Doesn't matter

I am worried... we are agreeing on something :eek:

The individual that released them TO Assange was an American Citizen...that is who should be tried for treason.

A non American then PUBLISHING them is not guilty of a crime as they were no longer classified once they reached his hands...they were public documents.

Assange did not release them. He published them.

The original faux AMerican soldier is the one who declassified them and released them and THAT is an act of treason as he was not authorized to de-classify them.

I don't believe so...

A classified document is classified until such time as it has been officially declassified.
Manning passed information to Assange, that does not declassify a document

Assange is the one publishing classified information which is a crime

Doesn't matter

Be careful with your wording. None of the files were marked 'classified', if I remember correctly. They were marked 'secret' and 'not for foreign eyes', which are lowere classifications.

Steve Kroft made that error last night on '60 Minutes'.

February 2, 2011

WikiLeaks Among Nominees For Nobel Peace Prize

"Anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks has been nominated for the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize, the Norwegian politician behind the proposal said on Wednesday, a day after the deadline for nominations expired.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee accepts nominations for what many consider as the world's top accolade until February 1, although the five panel members have until the end of the month to make their own proposals.

Norwegian parliamentarian Snorre Valen said WikiLeaks was "one of the most important contributors to freedom of speech and transparency" in the 21st century.

"By disclosing information about corruption, human rights abuses and war crimes, WikiLeaks is a natural contender for the Nobel Peace Prize," Valen said."

HERE

92.gif
92.gif
92.gif
92.gif

Yeah, Id say you are Jack's alcohol addled brain .

Forum List

Back