starving in Texas

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
In Texas, 18 percent are facing hunger - San Antonio Express-News

According to a new report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Texas ranks second in the nation in the percentage of people struggling with “food insecurity,” a term that refers to households where members have difficulty meeting their food needs.

In 2010, more than 4 million Texans — 18 percent — either experienced hunger outright or altered their eating patterns to avoid hunger, such as buying less healthy but more filling food.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...-18-arefacinghunger-2160280.php#ixzz1XTUIdAyw

In Texas, 18 percent are facing hunger - San Antonio Express-News

According to a new report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Texas ranks second in the nation in the percentage of people struggling with “food insecurity,” a term that refers to households where members have difficulty meeting their food needs.

In 2010, more than 4 million Texans — 18 percent — either experienced hunger outright or altered their eating patterns to avoid hunger, such as buying less healthy but more filling food.

Read more: In Texas, 18 percent are facing hunger - San Antonio Express-News

I don't know...when we were in Dallas/Fort Worth a few years back, those people walking around didn't look like they'd missed any meals.

I wonder what side of the issues TM is on, lets me guess. He has not policy ideas, just like his president just whines and complains. Yes we have poverty in Texas and before this is over I sure we have a few other blemishes. Take a look at Michigan a big Obama Union state where Detroit is doing so well with the schools and minorities. We all have problems but our president has no answers. He is still remembering the talk at dinner with his running buddies a few years back like Wright and his other friends.

18%...I have a hard time believing that. There are just too many resources for people to actually face real hunger and malnutrition like I have seen. Here the basic daily meal is beans, rice and tortillas and that is it...occasionally green bananas and eggs are added to that mix and about once a week 1 pound of meat of some sort or chicken. I have watched moments when people eat one time a day or less here and it really has caused me grief...it didn't used to be so difficult but when the economy went south here people actually did suffer...in this year I know of two cases of children starving to death literally.

Those numbers mean nothing.
Facing hunger means they qualify for SNAP, which means they are at 185 percent of the federal poverty level.

For a family of 4, that means they have total gross income of $3446 or less.

Or they have answered that they occasionally skip meals to meet a food budget.

That's what passes for starvation in the US. It is in no way akin to real starvation, and is, essentially, a lie.

From TM's link:

" Even so, Bexar County passed up more than $2 million in federal funding in 2010 because residents who were eligible for food stamps didn't enroll in the program, the study found.

“The biggest barrier to participation is the difficult application process and a lack of knowledge about eligibility,” said J.C. Dwyer, a spokesman for the Texas Food Bank Network. “Many folks think that they are ineligible because they have a job, or that they would be taking benefits away from someone needier. Neither is true.”

Food Stamps is federal program, right? Shouldn't we be blaming Obama for this?

From TM's link:

" Even so, Bexar County passed up more than $2 million in federal funding in 2010 because residents who were eligible for food stamps didn't enroll in the program, the study found.

“The biggest barrier to participation is the difficult application process and a lack of knowledge about eligibility,” said J.C. Dwyer, a spokesman for the Texas Food Bank Network. “Many folks think that they are ineligible because they have a job, or that they would be taking benefits away from someone needier. Neither is true.”

Blame Obama because people didn't sign up? Did you just say that?

From TM's link:

Blame Obama because people didn't sign up? Did you just say that?

TM is blaming Perry because they did not sign up.

Well seeing about 18 percent of the population is illegals they need to go back to their own country to eat..

Where do you come up with that fuzzy math? 18% of the population of Texas is not illegal. In fact, about 1.4 million illegal immigrants live in Texas yet the population is 25 million. That is about 5% of the population not 18%

Last edited:
Well, I get hungry once in a while too. Why didn't someone inform me that I'm starving according to Truthnevermatter's definition of the word.

Rick

It's getting close to supper time here in Illinois. How about one of you liberals come fix me some grub.

Forum List

Back