Starting to lean left

Y'know what?...I'm gonna shock you...I'm going to give you the point.

Altruism = self-mmolation.

You win. :thup:

Altruism is basically valuing the well being of others in a given scenario over your own. Like taking a hit in the wallet to give a gift in attempt to make someone else happy.....or the ultimate example, dying for someone. All of the levels in-between. And you provided the proof that it exists, inadvertantly, by stating that one *can* value someone else more than themselves. They can do so monetarily, they can do so physically.

Self-gain is not non-existent either, which is obvious. "I wanted to make you happy, 'cuz it makes me happy to make you happy."

I'm sure that they're just ill, and not actually altruistic.
You just gave a very wordy dissembling on my very simple equation.

Altruism = self-immolation.

The natural extreme of this invariably ends up harkening to the stale old scenario of the soldier throwing himself on the live grenade, so his platoon buddies or some children won't be harmed...All I get out of that is that professed "altruists" are borderline masochists, who hold immolation and, ultimately, death amongst their highest values.

You'll be so kind as excuse me from wanting to associate myself with such pessimistic, dark and ghoulish people, thankyouverymuch.

It's called heroism. Not pessimism.

Heroism is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

My heroes strive for their highest values, in the highest risk environs, with the intent of getting through it alive....For example...

ap_11_crew.jpg

Heroism is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

My heroes strive for their highest values, in the highest risk environs, with the intent of getting through it alive....For example...

ap_11_crew.jpg

It is subjective. And some people value selflessness. You can degrade the selfless, but that just shows that you're an ego-centric cynic. Not the type I'd let around my kids, for certain.

Selfishness is also subjective.

It is very often, and purposefully, supplanted in the place of people acting in their own self-interests....Most often (fuck it, always) by people who claim to know what's in their best interests more so than they do.

Talk about selfishness.

Pretty shitty job you got there if you can make more in government freebies than working.

Who said he would make more. Maybe he would just be happier making less, but doing nothing for it.

God knows I know where he is coming from. He is probably like me, right in that income level where you just barely do not qualify for any help at all, but still are not able to do anything more than live week to week being only 1 bad month away from Disaster.

It is subjective. And some people value selflessness. You can degrade the selfless, but that just shows that you're an ego-centric cynic. Not the type I'd let around my kids, for certain.
Selflessness boils down to immolation....You said so yourself, with your natural extreme of it.

I'm only cynical of the self-professed "selfless" poseurs, who claim their immolation to be a high value....Which comprises 100% of the Democrat Party and about 99% of the GOP.

The other 60% of the American population more than likely still has their self-esteem intact.

Selflessness boils down to immolation....You said so yourself, with your natural extreme of it.

I'm only cynical of the self-professed "selfless" poseurs, who claim their immolation to be a high value....Which comprises 100% of the Democrat Party and about 98% of the GOP.

The other 60% of the American population more than likely still has their self-esteem intact.

Well first of all, most people dont give three shits about politics....so to categorize the selfless from the eyes of the politosphere adventurist is kinda like...wearing your jaded brain on your sleeve, pardon the imagery. And the "point" isnt the self immolation, the point is the motive. You already agreed the motive must be that they value others above themselves, and the fact that that phenomena exists proves that altruism exists....it serves as a proof, pretty handily in that there wouldnt be, there couldnt be another rational explanation for the act. Death doesnt serve self.

I only admit that altruism exists in the mind of the person exhibiting, and a certain number of those observing, the act which is generally accepted as "altruistic".

You can call it "scooby doo" if you want, and it still boils down to certain people holding immolation and, ultimately, death as a high value.

Homey don't play that.

I only admit that altruism exists in the mind of the person exhibiting, and a certain number of those observing, the act which is generally accepted as "altruistic".

You can call it "scooby doo" if you want, and it still boils down to certain people holding immolation and, ultimately, death as a high value.

Homey don't play that.

Calling it scooby doo is more fun. But its not holding death as a high value, its holding acting selflessly as a high value.

Pretty shitty job you got there if you can make more in government freebies than working.

Who said he would make more. Maybe he would just be happier making less, but doing nothing for it.

God knows I know where he is coming from. He is probably like me, right in that income level where you just barely do not qualify for any help at all, but still are not able to do anything more than live week to week being only 1 bad month away from Disaster.

If you quit, you do not qualify.....making his entire point a swingannamiss.

Homey don't play that.

Calling it scooby doo is more fun. But its not holding death as a high value, its holding acting selflessly as a high value.
If someone knowingly and willingly kills themself in the process, there's no way to argue that the person in question didn't value death over the other possible outcomes....In fact, it's quite obvious that they preferred death to the other possibilities.

Thus, they expressed their highest value of the moment.

Homey don't play that.

If someone knowingly and willingly kills themself in the process, there's no way to argue that the person in question didn't value death over the other possible outcomes....In fact, it's quite obvious that they preferred death to the other possibilities.

They valued the life of the person they saved, quite obviously, and death was a consequence of that value and not the value itself. What youre doing is frivolous spin. It may be because you cannot relate to being selfless, but thats aight bro. Do you.

I believe we should all sign up for weekly MRIs at our local hospitals so we can use up all the ObamaCare dollars quickly.

Last edited:

They valued the life of the person they saved, quite obviously
Obviously?...What happens if the "saved" person lives the rest of their life with guilt issues over the matter?...Some gift of altruistic intent.

What youre doing is frivolous spin. It may be because you cannot relate to being selfless, but thats aight bro. Do you.

Ahem........

...and death was a consequence of that value and not the value itself.

I believe you were sputtering something about spin?

:cool:
... snip ...

In large nations of 300+ millions of people, it is sometimes helpful to learn to work together for common goals and needs.
Unfortunately, only 47% of us are working.

Umm, no wrong. 47% have a zero percent eff. Fed. Tax rate. That doesnt mean they dont work. The % includes military, the working poor, part timers, etc.

Forum List

Back