Starting a New Business . . . OR . . . People Suck

I don't agree. "God" is a generalized descriptive noun for whatever someone believes is the all encompassing being that created life. To capitalize it not only adds relevance to it, but also importance and respect as well.
I dunno...I don't capitalize god when I am speaking of a nonspecific god. Only when speaking of God, the one so many believe in.

Interesting observation, though...I'll give you that.

So, do you think God approves of objectifying the human body?

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. You spoke about it as an actual entity that exists and has a name, which to me means you recognize its existence whether or not that's what you intended to do.

I think you've got a little belief there inside you, deep down :cool:

And yes, I do think so. He didn't make Eve look like a sexy little thing for nothing. He wanted to make damn sure Adam wanted to hit that.
You must be mistaking me for an atheist.

Where is the evidence the Eve was a sexy little thing? And did not Adam get punished for being led astray...hey, I just realized, this was the first example of Christians blaming women for a man's own shortcomings.

:lol:

I dunno...I don't capitalize god when I am speaking of a nonspecific god. Only when speaking of God, the one so many believe in.

Interesting observation, though...I'll give you that.

So, do you think God approves of objectifying the human body?

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. You spoke about it as an actual entity that exists and has a name, which to me means you recognize its existence whether or not that's what you intended to do.

And yes, I do think so. He didn't make Eve look like a sexy little thing for nothing. He wanted to make damn sure Adam wanted to hit that.

Where is the evidence the Eve was a sexy little thing? And did not Adam get punished for being led astray...hey, I just realized, this was the first example of Christians blaming women for a man's own shortcomings.

Well admittedly it's an assumption on my part, but it's based on all of your regular criticism of religion. If you're a religious person, you hide it well. Let's just put it that way. How about agnostic?

And I don't think I blamed women for man's shortcomings. Eve has always been portrayed as a woman with a body that is what would be considered physically appealing to most men. Not too skinny, not too fat, walks around with nothing but a little foliage covering up her hot spots.

What man wouldn't wanna get down and dirty? :lol:

Well admittedly it's an assumption on my part, but it's based on all of your regular criticism of religion. If you're a religious person, you hide it well. Let's just put it that way. How about agnostic?

And I don't think I blamed women for man's shortcomings. Eve has always been portrayed as a woman with a body that is what would be considered physically appealing to most men. Not too skinny, not too fat, walks around with nothing but a little foliage covering up her hot spots.

FTR I am a lapsed Catholic and agnostic.

I don't recall any bible passages that described Eve physically.

I didn't say YOU blamed women, I said the bible did.

Had you said it was to celebrate Mexican Culture you would have gotten a permit, funding and a guarantee of favorable news coverage

The city was willing to rent to us until the club raised the "P" word, probably because, as a public-owned facility subsidized as needed with tax dollars, they can't refuse an application without a reason. It seems odd to me that an unsubstantiated accusation from someone they never heard of and haven't even met in person would constitute a reason, but I suspect it's because the "P" word is one of those things "vanilla" people are inclined to believe about the kink community anyway.

There's a possibility I might be having the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom having a word with the city of Tucson about discriminating against those with "different" sexual orientations, given that we intended to have a large outreach representation by the Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation, Tucson AIDS Project, Wingspan, groups like that. I hate to do it, but I'm concerned that it'll look as though I'm admitting something if I don't fight it, and I have a business reputation to protect now.

I'm curious, what does Jesus say about objectifying the human body?

I can't help but notice that when you mention Jesus or God, you always capitalize it.

Jesus isn't quite as interesting though. It's the God one that gets me. Jesus existed and is a proper name. God, on the other hand, only exists in the minds of believers.

I'm just sayin.

Has nothing to do with whether someone exists or not. Santa Claus is capitalized, too. It's just English grammar.

"God" is capitalized when referring to the Judeo-Christian deity, because it is being used as a proper name in that case. In other words, "God" is actually considered His name. If, however, you were using a phrase like "the Greek pantheon of gods", it's not capitalized, because then it's a regular noun.

By the way, it's also considered proper grammar by many people to capitalize the pronoun as well when referring to God or Jesus. That's more a matter of personal taste these days, though.

Not bible passages. Anytime she's protrayed in pictures, it's a seemingly attractive woman.

I would assume God wouldn't create Rosie O'Donnel's likeness, for instance, hoping that Adam could take a little wine and just drink her pretty.

I'm curious, what does Jesus say about objectifying the human body?

I can't help but notice that when you mention Jesus or God, you always capitalize it.

Jesus isn't quite as interesting though. It's the God one that gets me. Jesus existed and is a proper name. God, on the other hand, only exists in the minds of believers.

I'm just sayin.

Has nothing to do with whether someone exists or not. Santa Claus is capitalized, too. It's just English grammar.

"God" is capitalized when referring to the Judeo-Christian deity, because it is being used as a proper name in that case. In other words, "God" is actually considered His name. If, however, you were using a phrase like "the Greek pantheon of gods", it's not capitalized, because then it's a regular noun.

By the way, it's also considered proper grammar by many people to capitalize the pronoun as well when referring to God or Jesus. That's more a matter of personal taste these days, though.

Santa Claus is a play on the proper name St. Nicholas. It would stand to reason that it would be capitalized.

Not bible passages. Anytime she's protrayed in pictures, it's a seemingly attractive woman.

I would assume God wouldn't create Rosie O'Donnel's likeness, for instance, hoping that Adam could take a little wine and just drink her pretty.
All probably true, but we can only go on what the bible says, not what people imagine, to get to the truth.

Of course she's portrayed as attractive. What artist wants to paint the Mother of the Human Race as ugly?

I'm just sayin.

Santa Claus is a play on the proper name St. Nicholas. It would stand to reason that it would be capitalized.

Doesn't matter where it came from. It's capitalized because it's a proper name, and God, when referring to the Judeo-Christian deity, is also a proper name. English grammar.

Purdue OWL: Capital Letters

A painful lesson and exercise in disipline. I'd think you'd be thrilled.

Seriously, it is not unusual to have people get in the way of business. The benefit will be how much easier it will be to hold the second one.

Well, that's what I was saying in the other thread: it's really easy to become arrogant and fall into a hubristic mindset of "I'm so wonderful, how DARE you question me?!" And when you're a person who is routinely addressed as "Master" and given the illusion of ultimate power over others, well . . .
Too many doms beating the sub to death I guess. The one who accused you of using the event to promote prostitution is in line for a defamation of character lawsuit, personally.

Doesn't matter where it came from. It's capitalized because it's a proper name, and God, when referring to the Judeo-Christian deity, is also a proper name. English grammar.

The confusion arises because typically, atheists do not capitalize it in any form. Not necessarily because they are doing so as an insult, but because not recognizing it as even existing in the first place precludes it from being considered a proper noun.

This is why I first questioned Rav on it. She capitalized it, which is something typically reserved for those of the faith.

Then of course it can be taken a step further, and questioned as to why the pronouns used for God are capitalized, when there's no grammatical basis for it whatsoever.

A painful lesson and exercise in disipline. I'd think you'd be thrilled.

Seriously, it is not unusual to have people get in the way of business. The benefit will be how much easier it will be to hold the second one.

Well, that's what I was saying in the other thread: it's really easy to become arrogant and fall into a hubristic mindset of "I'm so wonderful, how DARE you question me?!" And when you're a person who is routinely addressed as "Master" and given the illusion of ultimate power over others, well . . .
Too many doms beating the sub to death I guess. The one who accused you of using the event to promote prostitution is in line for a defamation of character lawsuit, personally.

That's what my lawyer told them in that absolute masterpiece of a letter he wrote them. If they weren't wetting their pants in a panic when they heard I had engaged a lawyer - and I'm pretty sure they were, given the hysterical e-mails they sent us to cancel our memberships - they were when they got his letter.

Thing is, I don't really want to file a lawsuit if I can avoid it, because I don't think it'll make us look very good to the rest of the community. I had my lawyer ask for them to send a retraction to the TCC, and a letter of apology to us, but I'm not really prepared to go to the mat just over that.

The city of Tucson, on the other hand, I'm totally prepared to bludgeon with special interest group protests for rejecting our application. THAT actually produces beneficial publicity in the community.

The confusion arises because typically, atheists do not capitalize it in any form. Not necessarily because they are doing so as an insult, but because not recognizing it as even existing in the first place precludes it from being considered a proper noun.

This is why I first questioned Rav on it. She capitalized it, which is something typically reserved for those of the faith.

Then of course it can be taken a step further, and questioned as to why the pronouns used for God are capitalized, when there's no grammatical basis for it whatsoever.

So being an atheist means you have to be badly educated in English and grammar? Or is that just you, because of your odd notion that only "people of faith" recognize that it's a proper noun?

Pronouns used for God are, these days, generally only capitalized by people like me, with a very proper and rather archaic interest in correct grammar. It's an old rule and not standard any more.

The city of Tucson, on the other hand, I'm totally prepared to bludgeon with special interest group protests for rejecting our application. THAT actually produces beneficial publicity in the community.

If you can't be part of the solution, be part of the problem? LOL You know I kid.

If you can't be part of the solution, be part of the problem? LOL You know I kid.

I know. :)

Refusing taxpayer-subsidized public facilities to legitimate, licensed businesses based on one phone call by an unknown person, making unsubstantiated allegations is not appropriate behavior for the city government, in my never-humble opinion.

So being an atheist means you have to be badly educated in English and grammar? Or is that just you, because of your odd notion that only "people of faith" recognize that it's a proper noun?

Pronouns used for God are, these days, generally only capitalized by people like me, with a very proper and rather archaic interest in correct grammar. It's an old rule and not standard any more.

Yeah, it's just ME with the "odd notion" :rolleyes: God or god? To capitalize or not to Capitalize

As a side note, I bet you've lost count at this point in your life of how many times someone has slapped the attitude right out of your mouth.

Yeah, it's just ME with the "odd notion" :rolleyes: God or god? To capitalize or not to Capitalize

As a side note, I bet you've lost count at this point in your life of how many times someone has slapped the attitude right out of your mouth.
heh...judging from the subject of the thread that is exactly what she likes.

I think capitalizing God when God is being used as a proper noun (a name, in this case) is just good grammar (or is it punctuation, I never get that right). Speaking of a god in general terms no capital g required.

No matter what you believe.

i dont....i dont cap anything most of the time....

and that is so off topic....

i would try to wrap it up fast...lawyers cost a pretty penny...towns have them on retainer...i would just try to have the event and move on

Forum List

Back