Starbucks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by janeeng, Nov 5, 2004.

1. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad sent me this by email today! I thought it would be nice to share with all of you!

NO MORE STARBUCKS FOR ME!!!!!

Please pass this along to anyone you know, this needs to get
    out in the open.

Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in
    OIF wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked
    their coffee and try to score some free coffee grounds. Starbucks wrote
    back telling the Marines thanks for their support in their business, but tha they don't support the War and anyone in it and that they won't send
    them the Coffee.
    So as not to offend them we should not support in buying any Starbucks
    products. As a War vet and writing to you patriots I feel we should get this
    out in the open. I know this War might not be very popular with some folks,
    but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground fighting
    street to street and house to house for what they and I believe is
    right.
    If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can
    discard it and I'll never know. Thanks very much for your support to me, and I
    know you'll all be there again here soon when I deploy once more.

Semper Fidelis,

Sgt Howard C. Wright
    1st Force Recon Co
    1st Plt PLT RTO

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
  3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Tim Hortons sends coffee to Canadian troops, I bet they would send some grinds over to Iraq for your guys.

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    -=d=- it has been discussed before, but scopes doesn't give the entire story. It just helps Starbucks cover their ass.

Wal-Mart has been donating tons of stuff not only for the troops, but for their families too. Starbucks says that THEY can't donate cuz it would violate IRS rules. As me and Merlin pointed out before..... BULLSHIT!

While it is true that they couldn't get a tax deduction for the donations, netiher can Wal-Mart and they are not letting it stop them from doing it. Starbucks should be willing to pay for it as a gesture to the troops, but they are not. They are hiding behind tax code to try and explain away why they can't do it. Instead, Starbucks' employees are making donations by giving up THEIR weekly rations while Starbucks is taking the credit for it. I commend the Starbucks employees that are making the donation, but they shouldn't have to. Starbucks should be willing to step up to the plate and send our boys (and girls) some frigg'n coffee.

!!FUCK STARBUCKS!!

5. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Indeed - fuck Starbucks. They're going to have to get along without MY bucks!

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    starbucks doesn't owe anyone anything for free - be they soldiers or others.

7. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    This is all too funny. When I was in the Union Savings Bank the other day, THEY have a basket in which to place items they've listed for the troops. Comes down to just how charitable you want to be.

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    you don't get it. nobody said they "owed" anybody anything. But their excuse is lame. There are no laws that prevent them from doing it. That is my point.

And actually, I will disagree with you. Starbucks at least owes our troops gratitude.

9. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I had this conversation with others, some time ago. AS a former military man, I don't think anyone OWES me anything. The reasons why I joined the service were my own, and the results of my service are had by all who live in the US. Starbucks doesn't owe troops anything....just as you don't OWE the charitable organizations I support anything, either.

I understand your disappointmentwith their business decision, but you can always express your point of view by going down the street to Joe's corner coffee joint, instead.

Starbucks OWES it's shareholders profit.....and as a for profit business, that is what they chose to do.....sorry....it's just the way I see things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Did you read my post?

But I still hold that Starbucks and ALL Americans at least owe gratitude and that doesn't cost a damn dime.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1