Starbucks to ask customers to donate time

Hey .. then there's no problem because everyone knows that Starbucks is so finacially healthy that it doesn't need it's foreign business. It's why they shutdown their stores for three hours months ago .. so they could tell employees how wonderfully their bottom line was looking. :lol:

The economic health of Starbucks isn't going to be impacted by this boycott. I'd suggest that the economic losses from that boycott will be minimal, because those who will participate weren't likely to be Starbucks customers in the first place.

You can't swing a cat in a Starbucks cafe without hitting an uber trendy poser douche, but there is a serious dearth of hippies.

Now, if you were boycotting patchouli and hemp products, you might be able to make a dent.

Last edited:
The actual numbers of people who will boycott starbucks for political reasons is so small as to be meaningless in practical reality. Now, there may be plenty who will "boycott" them for taste reasons, or because they are generically anti-corporate pro-local, or because of economic reasons.

But I think you'll find that the actual support for Hamas is rather small in the U.S. in economic terms. In fact, I strongly suspect that most Americans feel Israel is entitled to bomb the shit out of Gaza.

OH .. I get it .. you think "boycott" meant just the US.

Frankly, I'm anxious to see the depth of American support for Israel as the costs to this country continue to mount.

The economic health of Starbucks isn't going to be impacted by this boycott. I'd suggest that the economic losses from that boycott will be minimal, because those who will participate weren't likely to be Starbucks customers in the first place.

You can't swing a cat in a Starbucks cafe without hitting an uber trendy poser douche, but there is a serious dearth of hippies.

Now, if you were boycotting patchouli and hemp products, you might be able to make a dent.

I'm anxious to see that tested.

And by "uber trendy poser douche" you meant th left .. the left has been turning against Israel for some time .. CENSORED

but I managaed to sneak you a peek ...

U.S. Left May Be Turning Against Israel

For years, American Jews, including liberals, have watched in astonishment as Europe’s left-wing media, academic and political elites have turned decisively against Israel and, to some extent, Jews, as well.

Now it may well be America’s turn, at least according to a recent survey by pollster Frank Luntz for the Washington-based Israel Project. In a shocking review of the largely left-leaning opinion leaders from America’s top colleges, Luntz found that Israel was clearly “losing the battle for the hearts and minds of America’s future leaders.”
JoelKotkin.com - U.S. Left May Be Turning Against Israel

Ah, the loony lefties have always been against Israel.

images

Day one's latte.

At this rate I'm going to have to run every single morning.

Burp!

And by "uber trendy poser douche" you meant th left .. the left has been turning against Israel for some time .. CENSORED

Actually, you're assuming a great deal here. When I mentioned the hippies, I was specifically addressing the loony leftist fanatics, but when I said uber trendy poser douche, I consider that a label that can apply to starbucks fans of all political persuasions.

But, just to show my support for Israel, I'm going to get a vente non-fat decaf latte on the way home. ;)

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the right adopts a "have a latte for Israel" as a slogan.

Last edited:

One of the sales reps I work with gave me a $ 20.00 gift certificate for Christmas... I was thinking cool, that will last awhile and I can stop in for hot chocolate or tea a few times. Um..yeah,I took my two kids and we got 3 hot chocolates and three muffins (not even the jumbo muffins you see at dunkin donuts,puny muffins). I ended up owing them an extra couple bucks...

Plus, the folks who work there are snotty...

I think it's the superior attitude that Starbucks is projecting, pretending that they are going to turn America into an army of volunteers by rewarding them with their coffee that offends people.
Sure, lots of people do volunteer work for the perks, people donate to charities for the thank you gifts they get in return. It's a great way to raise funds, but this coffee for pledges gimmick seems so pretentious and outright opportunist. I'm not in the least inspired by $tar%'s PR ploy to get more customers in their stores while acting like it's all for the good of the community.

I've gotten lots of free cups of coffee from people showing gratitude for my volunteer work but it wasn't for the coffee that I did it.

I totally agree with you,this is exactly why this promotion turns me off. I already volunteer my time. I don't need a pretentious coffee house trying to "bribe" me in the name of our current PE. This puts me in the mood to go on volunteer strike..

Same here. Funny (and disturbing) facts about Seattles social services:

Most who use the services are not even native to Seattle, many find out how good our homeless shelters and programs are then move up here with the intent to take advantage of them. Our social services are pulling out their hair because these people are ruining it for the few who didn't and they can do little to stop it (last time we tried California sued us) which ultimately drains our services and hikes up our taxes to pay for the drain.

As for those not needing the services, we have a lot of people moving here (or already here) from other states because we are "such a beautiful city" but now it's an ugly gray lego block city because of these people. I hate what my community has become.

hmmm sounds like New Mexico. All the pretentious snobs from Calif and NY move here, and then try to change our SW culture with their trendy coastal crap. I wish they would just FO. :lol:

I'm going to treat myself to a Carmel Frappachino with whipped cream for lunch today. I don't know which war torn region I should dedicate it too... Maybe Kansas because we're in the middle of a snow-nami.

caramel_frap.jpg
<--- Yum!

Last edited:
I'm going to treat myself to a Carmel Frappachino with whipped cream for lunch today. I don't know which war torn region I should dedicate it too... Maybe Kansas because we're in the middle of a snow-nami.

I'm treating myself to a couple cups of sludge that have been in the carafe here at work, probably on the burner all night...

Reminds me of old Army sludge coffee... ahhh.. Memories... :D

Starbucks is obviously speaking to their more liberal customers and I think it's about time. As everyone knows, conservatives give more of their time and money to charity than any other group. These people don't have to be bribed to give of their time with a pot of coffee. However, liberals need some kind of incentive because giving of their time freely does not come naturally to them. Kudos to Starbucks. Let's hope Liberals take the bait.

:clap2:

I'd agree with that too, I think it gets to basic ideological differences. I don't think people can help it, we're wired.

As long as we're on the subject where would you volunteer if you did? I'd probably go join a workday of trail maintenance in the local state park. What about you?

The fact that he also makes sure even his part-time workers have health coverage must be just a cover for his being a blood thirsty zionist.

Okay, now that was funny.

Forum List

Back