Starbucks Lists Stores to Be Closed

Local coffee shops are typically better than Starbucks anyway. If you're ever in the St. Louis area, check out Meshuggah. Nectar of the gods.

I've moved on to tea these days, but I've had coffee from so many different local shops that is WAY better than that crap at Starbucks. Like I said, I've only been there once, so maybe I haven't had the good shit...but $4 for a cup of joe? That shit better come back out the other end in liquid gold form.

If anyone is ever in the northeast, tri-state area, we have a convenience store here called WaWa. Best coffee you'll ever have, for around a buck.

I've moved on to tea these days, but I've had coffee from so many different local shops that is WAY better than that crap at Starbucks. Like I said, I've only been there once, so maybe I haven't had the good shit...but $4 for a cup of joe? That shit better come back out the other end in liquid gold form.

If anyone is ever in the northeast, tri-state area, we have a convenience store here called WaWa. Best coffee you'll ever have, for around a buck.

There isn't any "good shit" at Starbucks. The coffee is so-so. Not bad in a pinch, but you can get much better.

It's important because it's indicative of the failing economy. It's the first thing people cut.

That's why it matters....

How many people are going to be out of work (and not have health coverage) because of the closings of those stores?
Come on, these evil, greedy, rich, fat Corporations do not offer healthcare, in fact, they do not pay taxes.
The economy is not failing, Starbuck's CEO is just getting more greedy! :eusa_angel:

Come on, these evil, greedy, rich, fat Corporations do not offer healthcare, in fact, they do not pay taxes.
The economy is not failing, Starbuck's CEO is just getting more greedy! :eusa_angel:

My lib joke, was just that a joke, The point I am making is Starbucks is in trouble not because of the Economy but because of very poor decisions they have made. I am getting sick of people blaming every damn thing that goes wrong on the economy. Starbuck would be in trouble regardless of the Economy. They built to many stores, to close to each other, and charge way to much for Coffee. Plain and simple.

i read this list and laughed my ass off when i saw that salem, oregon had no closures...LOL...it is so dark and cold there that the main starbucks downtown (prime corner lot, and i repeat downtown) was not enough so they opened another starbucks in downtown.......a whole block away on the same street, and on the same side of the street....maybe 1000 feet.

but you know what, that is capitalism, for the new starbucks did as much if not more business than the old and you know what, the old remained, even though smaller and IMO smellier (word?) because some people liked the "old" traditional starbucks.

i see no problem with that. most local brews are acidic and nasty.

Holy shit this will really piss of the libs :)

I'm not anything even remotely close to a Lib, and if the one in my city were closing down, I'd likely go in to convulsions. I have, easily, a $25 a week Starbucks habit (their actual COFFEE sucks rocks, tho).

My lib joke, was just that a joke, The point I am making is Starbucks is in trouble not because of the Economy but because of very poor decisions they have made. I am getting sick of people blaming every damn thing that goes wrong on the economy. Starbuck would be in trouble regardless of the Economy. They built to many stores, to close to each other, and charge way to much for Coffee. Plain and simple.

That's probably a very good point.

Certainly the macroeconomy isn't necessarily the entire story.

Probably *bucks has expanded beyond its market saturation point.

And when the economy gets weak, those under-performers are apt to get axed.

but I'd be willing to bet their numbers are down just about everywhere.

A $4 cup of joe is one easy way to economize.

It couldn't last forever.
Particularly once all the drive through Chevrons and 76 stations started selling cheaper lattes......

Good point

Though I think that might be an Oregon phenomenon.

No. Now so many places sell foofoo coffee that Starbucks market share is probably dropping.

Plus, the foofoo coffee fad is also probably fading somewhat.

Familiarity breeds contempt and so forth.

Throw in a lousy economy, and there's a whole lot for *bucks to worry about.

Last night on our news the 2 Starbucks closing in our city (Indy) are in the inner city. Magic Johnson opened them to help revitalize the area, and now they are closing, and the neighbors are not happy. It's too bad those are the ones closing.

Actually, Starbucks was started by a guy from New York who grew up in the projects. His dad was injured at work and the company terminated him so it wouldn't have to pay his health care. It created huge problems for his family and he never forgot. So he made sure that even his part time employees have health coverage.

It has nothing to do with greed, actually.

And if you think the economy isn't in trouble, you're not even listening to your own partisans.

Which means you're simply uninformed, intentionally obtuse or trolling.

I vote the latter.

And if you think the economy isn't in trouble, you're not even listening to your own partisans.

Only a fool would think that, but that does not automatically means Starbucks in in trouble because of the Economy. I am sure it has not helped, but I think starbucks has made some rather poor decisions of their own.

Only a fool would think that, but that does not automatically means Starbucks in in trouble because of the Economy. I am sure it has not helped, but I think starbucks has made some rather poor decisions of their own.

Starbucks sales dropped 20% across the board last I heard.

That has nothing to do with decision making. That's about people not having the money for a $5.00 grande chai skim latte. Heck, I only drink one once a week now since gas went up and it costs $65 to fill my tank.

So you still think over building stores, and charging to much for their product has no effect?

Not that anybody cares, but I think it's a bit of both what Jillian and you are both saying.

Yes, they built too many stores, but look at Wally World, how many frigging stores do they have?

But, I know people HAVE been cutting back. I know WE have as a family, and my friends have too. Now, I have never understood someone paying 4-5 bucks for a cup of coffee, so what are you going to give up first when money is tighter than it has been with rising gas and grocery costs.

Why, that 4-5 dollar cup of Joe! If you really can't make coffee at home to drink or just like someone to do it for you, then you hit McDonald's or Dunkin Doughtnuts for a less costly cup of coffee, Starbucks be damned!

But I also agree they had WAY too many stores,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Starbucks sales dropped 20% across the board last I heard.

That has nothing to do with decision making. That's about people not having the money for a $5.00 grande chai skim latte. Heck, I only drink one once a week now since gas went up and it costs $65 to fill my tank.

damn--and I feel sorry for the people who don't have $5 to blow on some foofoo drink. And all those people who have decided not to buy yachts too. It's a crying shame.

Odd--I don't hear the people who are content with the cheaper things in life bitching.

StarBucks founder admits to expanding to fast.

Starbucks’ ‘venti’ problem

memo written by Starbucks Corp. founder and Chairman Howard Schultz was posted on the Internet. Noting with a mixture of pride and horror that Starbucks has gone from 1,000 to 13,000 stores in 10 years, Schultz expressed regret over a “series of decisions that, in retrospect, have led to the watering down of the Starbucks experience and what some might call the commoditization of our brand.”

Source
Starbucks' 'venti' problem - Los Angeles Times

:clap2: Yay!!!!! :clap2: Now there will be empty retail buildings around the country - where more 7-11's can open up - with more people running them that you can not understand! :eusa_shifty:

Be back later - I think I need more coffee. :D

Forum List

Back