Starbucks As A Substitute For Spirituality

Popular media has a very strong influence on people under 30

When the message is always negative its understandable that the weakest links choose to live only for today

And this has what to do with the post linked to?
The reason they are so depressed is the negative message in the popular media

Isn't it malfeasance of parents, and weakness in the individual to allow themselves to be so manipulated?

Maybe the famous quotes by Nazi propagandist Goebbels....or, as Al Sharpton calls him, 'gurgles'.....is correct., "...a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth."
I wonder if these kids in S Korea are being raise much like the Baby Boomer generation in America

I think the biggest mistake parents who grew up during the Great Depression made was to spoil their children rotten

Exactly my point.

Nationality is less a factor than upbringing.

I can definitely say that my South Korean parents didn't bring us up that way.
Nationality contributes to upbringing

The children of Korean immigrants often do better than the children of Koreans who were themselves born and raised in America

9. Modern society normalizes not getting married, having children out of wedlock, LGBT relationships, insane gender claims, in direct proportion to the marginalizing of religion. Just that one factor alone, not marrying leads to the much of millennial economic inequality.

“In 2018, less than 60% of people aged 25 to 34 lived with either a spouse or partner versus 80% in 1967. The changing dynamic of getting married and having children means that millennials are staying at home longer and delaying the purchase of their first home. The average age of a first-time mom is 26.6 as of 2016 according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), although the age increases for college-educated women and women in urban areas.

Additionally, people are getting married later, with the average marriage age at 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men, according to 2017 figures from the U.S. Census Bureau. "Life events such as getting married or having children are typical triggers to buying a home. The longer this age group lives with parents or independently, the more homeownership will be delayed," stated Bank of America in a report about millennial home buying trends. (See also: Kids or Cash: The Modern Marriage Dilemma)”
5 Reasons Millennials Aren't Buying Homes

10. For the author of
“If South Korean millennials are squandering their money, it’s not because they’ve lost touch with reality. Quite the opposite: For many of them, short-term consumption has become a rational choice maximizing the utility of money based on a realistic assessment of the future. A 2018 survey by the National Youth Policy Institute showed that 46 percent of young people in South Korea believed that buying a house would either “take more than 20 years” or “never be attainable.”
The Seoul metropolitan area, where nearly half the country lives, now has housing prices that equal New York City’s—without the salaries to match. Many millennials have begun avoiding traditional investment options, such as stocks and bonds, either because they can’t save enough money or because they think the gains can’t possibly keep up with rising expenses.”
Why Young Koreans Love to Splurge

Summarizes as "why try?"

Why?

Because that's what makes us human.

And this has what to do with the post linked to?

Isn't it malfeasance of parents, and weakness in the individual to allow themselves to be so manipulated?

Maybe the famous quotes by Nazi propagandist Goebbels....or, as Al Sharpton calls him, 'gurgles'.....is correct., "...a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth."
I wonder if these kids in S Korea are being raise much like the Baby Boomer generation in America

I think the biggest mistake parents who grew up during the Great Depression made was to spoil their children rotten

Exactly my point.

The children of Korean immigrants often do better than the children of Koreans who were themselves born and raised in America

Are you Korean?

11. This phenomenon is not localized in Korea, but represents the fate of may who live other than the traditional life and values that made this country great.

“Shibal biyong has begun to resonate with millennials outside South Korea. Young Americans have also started splurging on short-term pleasures despite—or perhaps because of—the fact that so many of them graduated from college in the years following the 2008 financial crisis. And despite years of wage increases lagging behind the rate of inflation until recently, “treat yo’ self” consumption has taken hold among American youth spending on indulgences such as Uber rides—around half of adults under 30 in the United States regularly use ride-hailing services—or food delivery from Grubhub.

In 2018, the Bank of Korea reported that people in their 20s scored the lowest on “financial behavior and attitude”—at least in the bank’s definition of sensible saving—among the working population, despite having the highest level of financial knowledge of all age groups. To respond, the bank suggested, the government should adopt policies that “nurture proper values, as the youths today put too much emphasis on consumption.” Why Young Koreans Love to Splurge

Validates what an earlier, more traditional and religious generation said, and lived by: “Waste not, Want not.”

And now, nihilistic youth are on the way to becoming that third generation:
As per that saying ‘Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generation,’ first the hardworking generation, then the one that basks in the success of the first….then the one that expects luxury and leads to a licentious lifestyle…..and loses it all.

12. While I am a pessimist with respect to the future of civilization, believing that we are simply basking in the afterglow of a once great culture, there are some few and minor signs that not everyone is ready to embrace materialism over more religious traditions.

When people choose modesty, decency, over the pecuniary rewards offered in place of same, well….then there is hope.

The ‘#MeToo movement’ may be one such ray of sunshine.

And this:

Emilia Clarke Joins List of Actresses Upset by Nudity, Sex Scenes

…Emilia Clarke, who rose to fame after starring in HBO’s Game of Thrones, recently revealed that she was pressured to film scenes naked for the show. She’s not alone – actresses from Evangeline Lilly to Jennifer Lawrence have admitted to either crying or drinking in response to filming scenes with little to no clothing.

Today, she says, she’s a “lot more savvy about what I’m comfortable with.”

“Like I’ve had fights on set before where I’m like ‘No, sheet stays up,’” she said, “and they’re like, ‘You don’t want to disappoint your Games of Thrones fans,’ and I’m like, ‘F--k you.’”

In 2017, Salma Hayek wrote in the New York Times about being forced into a sex scene with another actress – by the infamous Harvey Weinstein.

Going as far back as 2000, one New York Times Magazine piece explored “The Pressure To Take It Off” and reported on actresses discussing their mixed feelings on nudity.”
Emilia Clarke Joins List of Actresses Upset by Nudity, Sex Scenes

Individuals can determine the course of a society….even in the face of pressure from the collective.

13. Quite the exchange these millennials are willing to make….their future for a Starbucks, an extra meal out, a taxi ride rather than the subway.

Where have we seen this before?

Genesis, ch. 25

29 And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:

30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.

31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.

32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?

33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.

34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.

The handwriting is on the wall for our culture unless something changes, and quickly.

1.I came across an interesting essay on Foreignpolicy.com, discussing a phenomenon localized to South Korea….but is actually a condition seen throughout modern society: young people who cannot see a way to a successful financial future.
[ Why Young Koreans Love to Splurge]

According to the author, desperation about their future results in simply giving up preparing for the future, saving, and delaying gratification.
The same can be seen in millennials in our nation.....and I bet throughout Western Civilization.

Sometimes blowing your paycheck can be a rational choice.

2. …in South Korea, a generation of frustrated young people is reclaiming the idea of frivolous expenses—from cab rides to expensive sushi—as a psychological survival tool dubbed shibal biyong.
Loosely translated to “f**k-it expense,” the term is a compound noun combining shibal (a swearword for frustration) and biyong (expense)…. such as “an impulsive food delivery or a cab ride.”

3. A shibal biyong is an expense that might seem unnecessary but that helps you get through a bad day. It’s the $20 you splurge for a cab home instead of taking the subway after you’ve been denied a promotion or the comforting but expensive sushi you buy after you’ve been berated by your boss. The term implies that you might as well make yourself happy right now because your prospects in the long term seem bleak. Buy that nice coat, because you’ll never get on the housing ladder. Eat that steak, because you’ll never save up enough to retire.”

4. The average Starbucks in NYC is $3.25-$5…..we’re talking about something like $1500 a year. Want a croissant, too? We’re up to about $2500 per annum.
Now add the extra items above….the taxis, the extravagant dinners, the shoes you can’t do without….and your journey into poverty is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

5. I claim that this not a Korean phenomenon, but the ‘Millennial Disease.’ During the last three quarters of a century, Western Civilization has ‘converted’ to a new religion, a most attractive and dynamic one, one which replaces an investment in the next world with the search for materialism in this one.

Whittaker Chambers wrote this in Witness:

“It [Communism] is not new. It is, in fact, man's second oldest faith. Its promise was whispered in the first days of the Creation under the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil: "Ye shall be as gods." It is the great alternative faith of mankind. Like all great faiths, its force derives from a simple vision. Other ages have had great visions. They have always been different versions of the same vision: the vision of God and man's relationship to God. The Communist vision is the vision of Man without God.
It is the vision of man's mind displacing God as the creative intelligence of the world.”

The need or desire for ‘things’ replaces planning for the future, ours and our children’s. Objects are moved to a higher level than concepts that once ruled our lives.....responsibility, planning for the future, families...honesty.
When nothing matters but that croissant or those new shoes.....the result is a feeling of worthlessness and desperation.

But.....consumer spending is up, Black Friday and all......
Remembering how CRCs lost their minds over Starbucks taking snowflakes off their holiday cups.

1.I came across an interesting essay on Foreignpolicy.com, discussing a phenomenon localized to South Korea….but is actually a condition seen throughout modern society: young people who cannot see a way to a successful financial future.
[ Why Young Koreans Love to Splurge]

According to the author, desperation about their future results in simply giving up preparing for the future, saving, and delaying gratification.
The same can be seen in millennials in our nation.....and I bet throughout Western Civilization.

Sometimes blowing your paycheck can be a rational choice.

2. …in South Korea, a generation of frustrated young people is reclaiming the idea of frivolous expenses—from cab rides to expensive sushi—as a psychological survival tool dubbed shibal biyong.
Loosely translated to “f**k-it expense,” the term is a compound noun combining shibal (a swearword for frustration) and biyong (expense)…. such as “an impulsive food delivery or a cab ride.”

3. A shibal biyong is an expense that might seem unnecessary but that helps you get through a bad day. It’s the $20 you splurge for a cab home instead of taking the subway after you’ve been denied a promotion or the comforting but expensive sushi you buy after you’ve been berated by your boss. The term implies that you might as well make yourself happy right now because your prospects in the long term seem bleak. Buy that nice coat, because you’ll never get on the housing ladder. Eat that steak, because you’ll never save up enough to retire.”

4. The average Starbucks in NYC is $3.25-$5…..we’re talking about something like $1500 a year. Want a croissant, too? We’re up to about $2500 per annum.
Now add the extra items above….the taxis, the extravagant dinners, the shoes you can’t do without….and your journey into poverty is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

5. I claim that this not a Korean phenomenon, but the ‘Millennial Disease.’ During the last three quarters of a century, Western Civilization has ‘converted’ to a new religion, a most attractive and dynamic one, one which replaces an investment in the next world with the search for materialism in this one.

Whittaker Chambers wrote this in Witness:

“It [Communism] is not new. It is, in fact, man's second oldest faith. Its promise was whispered in the first days of the Creation under the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil: "Ye shall be as gods." It is the great alternative faith of mankind. Like all great faiths, its force derives from a simple vision. Other ages have had great visions. They have always been different versions of the same vision: the vision of God and man's relationship to God. The Communist vision is the vision of Man without God.
It is the vision of man's mind displacing God as the creative intelligence of the world.”

The need or desire for ‘things’ replaces planning for the future, ours and our children’s. Objects are moved to a higher level than concepts that once ruled our lives.....responsibility, planning for the future, families...honesty.
When nothing matters but that croissant or those new shoes.....the result is a feeling of worthlessness and desperation.

But.....consumer spending is up, Black Friday and all......
Remembering how CRCs lost their minds over Starbucks taking snowflakes off their holiday cups.

With your disability, you probably don't realize that your post has nothing to do with the post to which you linked.

I'm here to help....

5 Vitamins & Minerals To Boost Your Focus, Concentration and Productivity
  • B-Vitamins. The B Vitamins are well known for improving energy, focus, and alertness. ...
  • Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 is one of the best supplements you can take if you're looking to boost focus & concentration levels. ...
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids. ...
  • Vitamin C. ...
  • Magnesium.
Try this regimen.....and....

Drop back in six months.....

Exactly my point.

Are you Korean?
No

Forum List

Back