Star Wars Reviews

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I almost hijacked another thread with this but I figured with the new movie its timely enough. With warnings that spoilers follow, here are my rankings:

#1, 10/10 Rogue One Gritty, fast, things I have wanted to see for 40 years. Just thinking about it makes me want to watch it again.

#2, 9/10 Attack of the Clones Action! The Zam Wessell chase, Obi-Wan vs Jengo Fett at the Clone breeding ground, the Droid Factory, Jedi mayhem (and slaughter) at the arena battle! And its not done, The clone trooper vs droid battle then Dooku vs Obi-Wan, Anakin and then Yoda. Padme, Jengo Fett and Mace Windu almost stole the show. It lost a point thanks to the Hayden Christensen romance scenes being atrocious.

#3, 9/10 Empire Strikes Back, Maybe as good a script as A New Hope. It had the Hoth battle, Jedi training, a reasonable betrayal at Cloud City, and the first good light saber battle. Things did not go well for the Resistance the whole film.

#4, 9/10 A New Hope, way ahead of its time for 1977, might have the tightest script and best acting of them all until Rogue One. The action scenes were smaller in scale but nicely personal and effectively told. Its 1977 special effects space battles were better than the Battle of Coruscant to begin Revenge of the Sith. As a point of curiosity, the Obi-Wan / Vader sabre duel somehow works and doesn't anger me although 1950's movies had better sword fights. Maybe good editing?

#5, 8/10 Revenge of the Sith Dark, I wondered if Star Wars would go here. Order 66, the making of Vader, Jimmy Smits, the death of the younglings, Mace Windu's fight with the Emporer was great. General Grevious rocked! The death of Dooku was good. Anakin turning to the darkside was a little meh. The space battle of Coruscant at the beginning was a CGI failure and the Mustafar setting were weaknesses. Surfing on Lava, really??? That was soo almost cool if only they didn't go too far.

#6, 7/10 Clone Wars Cartoons, The last episode was a bit weak and some episodes were virtual repeats when they should have told more of the Mace Windu story but sometimes this was REALLY REALLY 9.5/10 good.

#7, 7/10 Return of the Jedi,To me the rescue of Han Solo / Jabba the Hutt battle was the best part of it. The Luke vs Vader vs Palpatine fight was good as well. The big space battle ending had good eye candy but was not quite as good as engrossing as A New Hope. I found myself annoyed by a selfish and moody Luke. The Battle on Endor was enjoyable if the Ewoks bordered on insulting. The Ewoks, Luke and something really lose this one points and frequently I'd rather watch the beginning of The Force Awakens.

#8, 6/10 The Force Awakens, If parts of movies could be graded the first half or three quarters of this one would be #2 and that rehashed Death Star Planet crud left on the cutting room floor. Finn cracked me up, Rey battling Kylo Wren in her head was excellent and the death of a central character were all cool. Again, I found the hurried copied ending to border on unacceptable! Thank goodness Kylo Ren, Fey and Finn save the day with an excellent light saber duel in the snow.

#9, 5/10 Star Wars Rebels It just has not grabbed me yet after maybe a dozen episodes but not all in order. I WILL watch all it in order sometime. I just will have to make myself

#10, 4/10 The Phantom Menance There ARE scenes worth watching in this movie including the ending battles its just large portions of it stink. Whoever thought of pod-racing and Jar-Jar should have been fired after whoever decided Anakin had to be 4 years old or whatever. :( If only they cut 90% of those scenes and focused more on Darth Maul who was as cool a bad guy as any but in a crud movie.

When 'Star Wars' first premiered in 1977, it was a cultural phenomenon. It was new, and different, and exciting. Waiting in line six hours to see 'Empire' was considered a small price to pay for the excitement of a new 'Star Wars' installment. That was 40 years ago.

Today there is nothing new about 'Star Wars' . It's the same old stories told in the same old way which is precisely the same as every other Sci Fi franchise since 1977.

I will never get as excited about today's 'Star Wars' as I did when bell-bottom pants were still in fashion because it's like sleeping with your old wife.

up-SOQUQUQC8J2F22SK.jpg

Forum List

Back