Star Wars 7 coming in 2015

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I can't figure out if this is good news or bad news.

The Walt Disney Company announced today it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm and is planning Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015! In a later conference call, Disney revealed that they are planning a new trilogy starting in 2015 with a new movie coming every other year. They were also asked about "Indiana Jones," but said that they were going to concentrate on the "Star Wars" franchise for now. This is following such big purchases as Pixar and Marvel Entertainment. Here is the full press release:
Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

Breaking: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Coming in 2015! - ComingSoon.net

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

(On the bright side, Lucas is gone, and it can't suck worse than I-III.)

The potential for tie-ins is endless!

"Goofy" Vader
Starwars_Disney3-785268.jpg

Donald "Darth" Maul

goofymaul.jpg

If George Lucas has ANYTHING to do with it... it's dead to me.

Meh, I don't see Lucas in the driver seat for the new movies like he was for the prequels.

He did say that it was time for the story to be handled by a new generation of directors. I take that to mean that he will likely step aside. Will he completely unattach himself to any future projects?

Does Frank Darabont do Stephen King movies without Stephen King signed on?

-------------------

I think Disney can do well here though. There's still plenty of story to tell and if they can tap into the same stuff they did for the Avengers, then this can't be a bad thing I'd say. Just depends on what direction they go in and who they have helming.

Yeah..that was bad.

Revenge of the Sith was pretty good though.

I wouldn't know, I refuse to watch it.

Give it a shot. It's a hoot.

It's not as good as the originals..but pretty good all the same.

No Jar Jar.

Oh, the originals are cheesy unto themselves. I love Star Wars, but c'mon, it ain't exactly Shakespeare.

Episode 3 - the last one they made - was excellent. The cinematography, especially this scene on Mustafar, was outstanding on the big screen.

[youtube]pSwy412nttI[/youtube]

But I agree with the OP. I'm not sure if Disney buying Lucas is good or bad.

Last edited:
People forget that Lucas made them for kids. I loved the first three Star Wars movies because I was between 9-13 when they came out. They weren't aimed at adults, neither were the last three. Too many people bring their adult world view to these movies. They were not aimed at the adult in you...they were aimed at the kid. People who were kids at the time of the original trilogy somehow expected to feel the same about the second trilogy. Lucas never changed, we did....

Meh, I don't see Lucas in the driver seat for the new movies like he was for the prequels.

He did say that it was time for the story to be handled by a new generation of directors. I take that to mean that he will likely step aside. Will he completely unattach himself to any future projects?

Does Frank Darabont do Stephen King movies without Stephen King signed on?

-------------------

I think Disney can do well here though. There's still plenty of story to tell and if they can tap into the same stuff they did for the Avengers, then this can't be a bad thing I'd say. Just depends on what direction they go in and who they have helming.

He doesn't have to be in the driver's seat for whatever he touches now to turn to shit. He just has to be able to breathe on set.

Pretty simple... you cant have good without evil...... the seeds of the sith are out there!

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence with this one too. I definitely want to see it, as a Star Wars fan, but given how the prequels went, I'm not expecting great films. At the same time, though, the problem with the prequels was that too much CGI was just dumped on the screen (a problem I could see the new films having), but also, some of the events and characters in the prequels, just didn't fit well or sometimes didn't make any sense at all. We all knew that Anakin and Amidala had to fall in love, but if I didn't know the story's ending, you could never convince me that they were actually in love. It was just a given because the fans already knew the story, somewhat, and they were spoon fed this BS that Lucas pulled out of his ass in an attempt to squeeze it in to the story. Their relationship just didn't make sense. And I was also disappointed that there practically was no "great" friendship between Skywalker and Obi-Wan. The point is, with a fresh new story where no one knows the ending, there hopefully won't be these things that have to occur to fit the story which end up not making sense. I'm not worried about the story too much. I can see Luke going on to train new Jedi, and the goings on with the new republic and whatnot. But I'm curious as to who the villain(s) would be. I mean Vader and the Emperor, to me, were THE villains. Vader was bad enough, but the Emperor was just that PURE evil that's unparalleled. It's hard to see any villain in the new movie being on that level, but hey who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Forum List

Back