Standing In The Shadows of Giants

The BKP

Grand Inquistor
Jul 15, 2008
In what is the most anticipated speech since 9/11 - if not of our generation – Barack Obama will forever step into the pages of American history by accepting the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination. With an estimated 75,000 in attendance and millions watching at home and abroad, the anticipated audience for Senator Obama’s is unprecedented in American political convention history.

Falling on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Junior's historic "I Have a Dream" speech, the symbolism of the moment could not be more profound. This, as well as Senator Clinton's stellar performance Tuesday night and Obama's own keynote address to the 2004 Democratic Convention, elevates the bar and expectations of his address this evening to near mythic heights.

That being the case, one wonders if perhaps the Obama campaign and the media have unwittingly set the Senator up for failure. Standing in the shadow of Reverend King with the weight of history on his shoulders, can the Senator seize the moment and live up to the hype? With millions hanging on his every word, will he propel their spirits skyward with the lofty Olympian rhetorical mastery that launched his political career into the stratosphere at the 2004 Democratic Convention? Or will he fall short; being revealed as a mere mortal with all the attendant flaws and fallibilities common to the breed?

Regardless of the critic’s decisions and the punditry’s analysis, today is truly a historic day. As noted in History In the Living, though Senator Obama is the focus of today’s intense media coverage and anticipation, he is the stuff of tomorrow’s legends. And like legends, only time will tell of the glory or tragedy of his fate.

Somewhere in America tonight, a young black boy will set watching Barack Obama on television with his grandfather. Not fully understanding the significance of the moment, he’ll ask if one day he could grow up to be president. Years from now he’ll look back and remember that sighing ever so slightly, a tear in the corner of eyes, his grandfather said with a smile, “Yes, you can.”

This is not history in the making; this is history we are living.

Only in America, faithful leaders. May God bless her; only in America.

Last edited:
It will be a sign of our progress when Obama, a White/Black man, is electred president. All the pointy headed sheet wearers will realize that their time is running out.

Sorry, I don't see why we need to elect a black man to prove we've made progress in racism. It's a bit counterintuitive, actually.

In what is the most anticipated speech since 9/11 - if not of our generation – Barack Obama will forever step into the pages of American history by accepting the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination. With an estimated 75,000 in attendance and millions watching at home and abroad, the anticipated audience for Senator Obama’s is unprecedented in American political convention history.

Falling on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Junior's historic "I Have a Dream" speech, the symbolism of the moment could not be more profound. This, as well as Senator Clinton's stellar performance Tuesday night and Obama's own keynote address to the 2004 Democratic Convention, elevates the bar and expectations of his address this evening to near mythic heights.

That being the case, one wonders if perhaps the Obama campaign and the media have unwittingly set the Senator up for failure. Standing in the shadow of Reverend King with the weight of history on his shoulders, can the Senator seize the moment and live up to the hype? With millions hanging on his every word, will he propel their spirits skyward with the lofty Olympian rhetorical mastery that launched his political career into the stratosphere at the 2004 Democratic Convention? Or will he fall short; being revealed as a mere mortal with all the attendant flaws and fallibilities common to the breed?

Regardless of the critic’s decisions and the punditry’s analysis, today is truly a historic day. As noted in History In the Living, though Senator Obama is the focus of today’s intense media coverage and anticipation, he is the stuff of tomorrow’s legends. And like legends, only time will tell of the glory or tragedy of his fate.

Somewhere in America tonight, a young black boy will set watching Barack Obama on television with his grandfather. Not fully understanding the significance of the moment, he’ll ask if one day he could grow up to be president. Years from now he’ll look back and remember that sighing ever so slightly, a tear in the corner of eyes, his grandfather said with a smile, “Yes, you can.”

This is not history in the making; this is history we are living.

Only in America, faithful leaders. May God bless her; only in America.

Beautiful.

It will be a sign of our progress when Obama, a White/Black man, is electred president. All the pointy headed sheet wearers will realize that their time is running out.

You mean time is running out for anyone with a brain when mindless bots like you vote for a person just because he's half-black? Sure thing.:cuckoo:

Voting for a person because of the color of his skin is stupid at best. Voting for him because he is who we need right now after the 8 years of disaster we have just suffered is genius.

Well...I'd have to say the man's speech, what little I heard of it, was fairly inspiring.

I think he answered the complaints that the McCain supporters have leveled at him, and I think he also reinforced that his campaign message to America and McCain's are stunningly different.

It will be up to the American voters to decide which direction they want our nation to go in.

More of same, or something very different.

That being the case, one wonders if perhaps the Obama campaign and the media have unwittingly set the Senator up for failure. Standing in the shadow of Reverend King with the weight of history on his shoulders, can the Senator seize the moment and live up to the hype?

If there is failure it will be the voters who fail to see the significant differences between Obama and McCain.

"But the record's clear: John McCain has voted with George Bush ninety percent of the time. Senator McCain likes to talk about judgment, but really, what does it say about your judgment when you think George Bush has been right more than ninety percent of the time? I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to take a ten percent chance on change..."

Barack Obama

Forum List

Back