Standardized Testing, Looking For A Parent's Perspective

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Any parents out there that do anything special during 'testing'? When my kids were in the lower grades, I told them, 'Do your best.' After I started back to school, had some education courses, my tune changed. Bed early. Breakfast, like it or not. Packed 'smart snacks.'

I think I'll blog some on this.

I'll tell you what I do. Study, but alway ALWAYS get at least 8 hours of sleep, preferably 9, and ALWAYS eat breakfast plus a quick snack of protein and carbs before big tests (especially the times I took the SAT, APs, and SAT IIs).

One thing my parent's did when I was really young (read: 5-6) was get me tested for IQ, learning disabilities, learning methiods, stuff like that. It really helped them help me later in life by identifying strengths and weaknesses at an early stage, when they can most easily be faced.

Any parents out there that do anything special during 'testing'? When my kids were in the lower grades, I told them, 'Do your best.' After I started back to school, had some education courses, my tune changed. Bed early. Breakfast, like it or not. Packed 'smart snacks.'

As a teacher and a parent, you are off to the right start. Some schools prep their students for "THE TEST" from the first day of school. Other schools (like my daughter's) figure the student knows the information on the test or doesn't.

Getting enough sleep and eating right is a start, but if the student doesn't know the information, none of that will help. Do they have critical thinking skills? Can they process higher order thinking? Can they write paragraphs with proper grammar and punctuation? Can they do math problems with more than one step, and show their work? Those are the kind of things these tests ask the students. Because I teach special education students, I work on these skills with my students before the test. Some can't write a complete sentence, but are expected to write 4 paragraphs to a writing prompt. (4th grade) But that's an entire other subject, which I addressed on another thread! :cool:

Nothing special whatsoever. My kids have always aced the tests.

The schools do encourage us to do all kinds of things and have pep rallies, etc. But I've been recently reading that they are going to pull back from that because it makes the kids too anxious.

Nothing special whatsoever. My kids have always aced the tests.

The schools do encourage us to do all kinds of things and have pep rallies, etc. But I've been recently reading that they are going to pull back from that because it makes the kids too anxious.

Good for your kids. They are at the 99%, what if you had a kid with a high iq, say 125, what would you do? It's obvious your children have been in the 190 range, no one can touch them. But what if?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back