"Stand your ground" doesn't apply!

Lawful Self-Defense - Weapons - Division of Licensing, FDACS

When can I use my handgun to protect myself?

A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:

Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.
Using or displaying a handgun in any other circumstances could result in your conviction for crimes such as improper exhibition of a firearm, manslaughter, or worse.

Example of the kind of attack that will not justify defending yourself with deadly force: Two neighbors got into a fight, and one of them tried to hit the other by swinging a garden hose. The neighbor who was being attacked with the hose shot the other in the chest. The court upheld his conviction for aggravated battery with a firearm, because an attack with a garden hose is not the kind of violent assault that justifies responding with deadly force.

Hmmm, actually it looks like Martin could have used the "stand your ground law" had Zimmerman been the one killed. Wanna bet they wouldn't have even tried?

You mean facts like the miscreant was told to back off. The kid had every right to be where he was, and was not causing trouble in any way. The fact that the asshole was told be the police to back off and not confront the boy. That he confronted him, starting the fight, and then shot him. And the police did nothing in an obvious case of murder.

1. Zimmerman was told "we don't need you to follow him". It was the 9-11 dispatcher and not exactly an order to back off.
2. You weren't there, you have no idea what Martin was doing in the neighborhood, neither do I, but I don't claim to.
3. He claims, that he lost Martin, and was walking back to his car when Martin attacked. Starting the fight.
4. There is absolutely zero evidence that i've seen that disproves Zimmerman's story, and there is some evidence that supports it. The fact that Zimmerman had contusions, and grass stains on his back, and Martin didn't.
5. The police did not "do nothing". They took Zimmerman down town for questioning and confiscated the weapon. they interviewed him and then deciding that his story fit with the evidence, they released him.

You should try being better informed before you rant.

Last edited:
I don't know what the particulars of the Florida law are. I listened to a pretty good debate on the Indiana law for this type of case.

The Indiana Law allows the use of deadly force by anyone when the life or the safety of an individual is threatened. The example was a man sees a woman being raped and he shoots the rapist. The Indiana Law is far more specific and complex than I represent above.

By the Standard of the Indiana law, and by my understanding of what happened in Florida, the kid was not threatening anyone AT THE TIME HE WAS SHOT and therefore this was not a righteous shooting.

One man's opinion.

You are uninformed. Everything that has been released about the case points to Martin being the aggressor. Not originally mind you. If Zimmerman hadn't followed Martin in the beginning like the dispacher told him to, this wouldn't have happened. That however is not a crime, or at least isn't eveidence that it wasn't self-defense.

Now that is a fucking lie. A kid is followed by a very large aggressive man he doesn't know for no reason that he can see. The man confronts him. At that point, whatever the kid does is self defense. Zimmermann commited murder, and would have gotten away with it were it not for the public outcry.

You are arguing from ignorance. Try doing some actual reading instead of what the TV tells you to think.

No one disputes that Zimmerman called police from his SUV, then left it and encountered Trayvon on foot as the teenager returned from a 7-Eleven candy run.

from your own link

that just says it all doesnt it....the kid was on a fucking candy run and shot by this man

No, it says very little.

I don't dispute this. He did leave his vehicle when he encountered martin. It doesn't maen that that led to the shooting, and that is not what the article says.

I don't know what the particulars of the Florida law are. I listened to a pretty good debate on the Indiana law for this type of case.

The Indiana Law allows the use of deadly force by anyone when the life or the safety of an individual is threatened. The example was a man sees a woman being raped and he shoots the rapist. The Indiana Law is far more specific and complex than I represent above.

By the Standard of the Indiana law, and by my understanding of what happened in Florida, the kid was not threatening anyone AT THE TIME HE WAS SHOT and therefore this was not a righteous shooting.

One man's opinion.

You are uninformed. Everything that has been released about the case points to Martin being the aggressor. Not originally mind you. If Zimmerman hadn't followed Martin in the beginning like the dispacher told him to, this wouldn't have happened. That however is not a crime, or at least isn't eveidence that it wasn't self-defense.

Wow...so Martin talking to a girlfriend on the phone about a guy who is following him and her telling him to run points to him as the aggressor? Really?

No, it doesn't.

To Martin or Zimmerman?

Martin didn't have a gun.

Does the Florida 'stand your ground' statute refer only to firearms regarding justifiable use of force?
No.

And I'm surprised the lawyer said this as he based it on something like stand your ground only applies in a home. That is untrue.

If stand your ground doesn't apply then an arrest and trial should happen so a judge or jury can rule if it was self-defense or not.

This is a stalking law not a stand your ground law.

It is neither.

Yes it is.
Zimmerman was told not to follow the kid but he did.
The minute that Zimmerman called in and reported it, he was told it was not necessary to follow him.
He got out of his vehicle with a gun and followed the kid. That is stalking.

Wrong. The dispatcher said "We don't need you to do that". He was not TOLD not to. It is not stalking in any legal sense. If that were true, then any neighborgood watch organization would never be able to function.

Last edited:
Martin didn't have a gun.

Does the Florida 'stand your ground' statute refer only to firearms regarding justifiable use of force?

What? Are you implying that a can of soda and skittles is a dangerous weapon? No of course not. You still attempt to play games with a discussion don't you?

Does the Florida "stand your ground" law state that any weapon must be used in cases of justifiable use of force?

So says Zimmerman's lawyer! Who else thinks he's throwing the local PD under the bus? If it doesn't apply, they look even stupider for not at least taking him in for questioning and drug and alcohol testing.

Zimmerman's lawyer: 'Stand your ground' doesn't apply in Trayvon Martin case - CNN.com

So despite the evidence our Idiot N Chief still calls it racism, The president is the POS here.

And, of course, you can point out where President Obama called it racism?

Now, I call it racism. What do you call it when the shooter refers to the murder victim as a "coon"?

Tell me, honestly, what do you think the public outcry would be if an armed black man pursued an unarmed student, shot him and then wasn't arrested? (and not because they just haven't caught him yet...before ya'll trot out the false equivalences again)

Everyone wants justice done. How can that occur if the man hasn't been arrested or hasn't been divested of the murder weapon?

I don't know why we would even bother with a trial in this case. Don't consider any of the evidence, a black kid is dead and that's all you need to know.

Is the only right Zimmerman had was to get his head bashed in with a full soda can?

Even if Zimmerman did kill Treyvon Martin and the evidence proves murder (so far it doesn't) that still does not mean that the murder was racially motivated.

Forum List

Back