Stalin Holds The Record

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
I had to look up this one:

AP_121205098.jpg

A little research told me that I have no intention of reading it, but it did remind me of our National Endowment for the Arts.

Our NEA practices reverse censorship when they use tax dollars to produce filth of the worst kind. Basically, individual choice is not censorship; so in a free society individuals can simply avoid paying for the filth. Government-approved “artists” solved their income problem by calling it censorship when they are driven away from the public trough; hence the NEA.

On the other hand, Moscow’s censorship might be “. . . normal taste . . .” in Moscow:

The Department of Culture in Moscow will remove Fifty Shades of Grey from its library shelves in order to help readers develop a “normal taste” in literature.​

I am not exactly sure what constitutes normal taste anywhere, but I do know censorship when I see it:

According to Russian news agency TASS, Alexander Kibovsky, head of the Department of Culture in Moscow, said that the citywide review of library books was not “a question of censorship, but of understanding the situation.”

Moscow to Remove ‘Fifty Shades’ from its Shelves
BY: Jenna Lifhits
August 26, 2015 11:37 am

So I am not misunderstood, I must declare that I oppose censorship of any kind; more so when the government does the censoring.

Just so I understand the situation in Moscow, Russian readers had a long love affair with censorship. Stalin censored every novel except Jack London’s The Iron Heel. That was the only novel by an American author that Stalin allowed in Communist libraries. Among Old Joe’s other records, he still holds the record for the most novels censored.

Censorship of a sort

Censorship bit Soviet Communists on the ass when they locked up their dissident authors. Years later the Kremlin admitted that they would have let their dissidents emigrate to the West sooner had they known that nobody in America cared what they said.

Finally, should Fifty Shades of Grey be censored anywhere? Answer: No. It is easier to ignore it.

Hm, should be anti-semitic literature be censored in the world? Or nazism literature, such as Mein Kampf?..
Don't think, that russian authorities consider threat to their reign through the "50 shades of grey", do you think so?

Hm, should be anti-semitic literature be censored in the world? Or nazism literature, such as Mein Kampf?..
Don't think, that russian authorities consider threat to their reign through the "50 shades of grey", do you think so?
To Igrok: Clarify your thoughts. Do you want books censored or not?

Bottom line on censorship: Freedom of speech should be absolute for one reason: The most offensive speech needs the most protection.

NOTE: I did not respond to your post last year because your reply was unclear. I changed my mind when I saw a recent example of government censorship. Would you care to comment on censoring advertising rather than books:

Over objections from two of the conservative justices on the U.S. Supreme Court, the rest of the bench has decided to let government continue to censor speech in some parts of the nation, effectively determining by official fiat “what speech millions of Americans will – or will not – encounter during their commutes.”

XXXXX

The error in our ad was that we implied the reward for the capture of an FBI terrorism suspect was paid for by the FBI when in fact, the reward is paid by the State Department’s Reward for Justice program. … Seattle Kings Transit Authority said our ad (an FBI wanted poster) was disparaging to Muslims. Truth is disparaging to Muslims. Got that?”​

Supremes: Government in Seattle can censor bus ads
Posted By Bob Unruh On 03/12/2016 @ 5:55 pm

Supremes: Government in Seattle can censor bus ads

Make no mistake about disparaging Muslims. All government censorship protecting Islam is imposed to protect the United Nations. From top to bottom the federal government is deathly afraid Muslim countries will exit the UN en masse.

To Igrok: Clarify your thoughts. Do you want books censored or not?

Bottom line on censorship: Freedom of speech should be absolute for one reason: The most offensive speech needs the most protection.
...of course, books and movies should be censored, because who wants the nazis propaganda, who wants the propaganda of perversions or mass murders? I think if child has a choice between books of sexual relationships and 'war and peace' by Tolstoy he would choose in 95% cases the sexual one. Like if he is ill he would choose the coca-cola instead of medicine.

Last edited:
...of course, books and movies should be censored, because who wants the nazis propaganda, who wants the propaganda of perversions or mass murders? I think if child has a choice between books of sexual relationships and 'war and peace' by Tolstoy he would choose in 95% cases the sexual one. Like if he is ill he would choose the coca-cola instead of medicine.
To Igrok: There is nothing more I can say if you disagree with this:
Freedom of speech should be absolute for one reason: The most offensive speech needs the most protection.

Freedom of speech should be absolute for one reason: The most offensive speech needs the most protection.
most offensive? What does it mean? Is nazis propaganda offensive one? Or propaganda of mass murders or perversions? Does this propaganda need protection?

most offensive? What does it mean? Is nazis propaganda offensive one? Or propaganda of mass murders or perversions?
To Igrok: A great many things are offensive. Would not knowing the names of the institution and the people responsible for writing this stuff satisfy you: See this thread to learn their names:

An accompanying workshop book produced by the U.N. Children’s Fund (UNICEF) tells Latin American mothers and teens: “Situations in which you can obtain sexual pleasure: 1. Masturbation. 2. Sexual relations with a partner — whether heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. 3. A sexual response that is directed toward inanimate objects, animals, minors, non-consenting persons.”​

Basically, government censorship is a violation of the First Amendment. My point: Freedom of speech benefits society when it identifies the speaker. Even if they put out garbage anonymously it can be dissected and discarded by intelligent opponents. See this thread for a bit more on the topic:

It is no secret that all governments just love protecting meaningless speech, while all governments claim the absolute Right to define “clear and present danger.” In every form of government do not falsely shout FIRE in a crowded theater becomes do not shout FIRE in an empty theater. Then it becomes do not shout FIRE! And finally do not speak at all.​

Does this propaganda need protection?
To Igrok: Absolutely.

most offensive? What does it mean? Is nazis propaganda offensive one? Or propaganda of mass murders or perversions?
To Igrok: A great many things are offensive. Would not knowing the names of the institution and the people responsible for writing this stuff satisfy you: See this thread to learn their names:

An accompanying workshop book produced by the U.N. Children’s Fund (UNICEF) tells Latin American mothers and teens: “Situations in which you can obtain sexual pleasure: 1. Masturbation. 2. Sexual relations with a partner — whether heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. 3. A sexual response that is directed toward inanimate objects, animals, minors, non-consenting persons.”​

Basically, government censorship is a violation of the First Amendment. My point: Freedom of speech benefits society when it identifies the speaker. Even if they put out garbage anonymously it can be dissected and discarded by intelligent opponents. See this thread for a bit more on the topic:

It is no secret that all governments just love protecting meaningless speech, while all governments claim the absolute Right to define “clear and present danger.” In every form of government do not falsely shout FIRE in a crowded theater becomes do not shout FIRE in an empty theater. Then it becomes do not shout FIRE! And finally do not speak at all.​

Does this propaganda need protection?
To Igrok: Absolutely.
did not understand a bit. My point - propaganda of murders need not the protection, but censorship.

UPDATE

should Fifty Shades of Grey be censored anywhere? Answer: No. It is easier to ignore it.
I never read the Bible, but nobody ever prevented me from reading it. Using tax dollars to buy books for libraries is the problem:

The Bible was among the nation’s list of books parents found most objectionable, placing sixth on the “top 10.” Also on the list was the raunchy romance novel, “Fifty Shades of Grey,” and a book about transgender children titled “I Am Jazz.”

The Bible has been targeted nationwide, at times for the sex and violence it contains, but mostly for the legal issues it raises with regard to “separation of church and state,” an advocate for intellectual freedom told the Associated Press.​

Holy Bible among 'challenged' books at libraries
Posted By Leo Hohmann On 04/11/2016 @ 3:22 pm

Holy Bible among ‘challenged’ books at libraries

If Disraeli was right, he would go nuts if he saw tax dollars buying books:

Benjamin Disraeli (1804 – 1881) was onto more than he knew when he had Mr. Phoebus, in Lothair, say:​

Books are fatal: they are the curse of the human race. Nine-tenths of existing books are nonsense, and the clever books are the refutation of that nonsense. The greatest misfortune that ever befell man was the invention of printing.​

XXXXX

Banning the sale of books is another matter. I would not ban the sale of any book no matter how offensive it might be to me. Buy all of the books you want, just don’t force me to share the cost of placing and maintaining your choices on library shelves.​

A Proper Use For Libraries

I had to look up this one:

AP_121205098.jpg

A little research told me that I have no intention of reading it, but it did remind me of our National Endowment for the Arts.

Our NEA practices reverse censorship when they use tax dollars to produce filth of the worst kind. Basically, individual choice is not censorship; so in a free society individuals can simply avoid paying for the filth. Government-approved “artists” solved their income problem by calling it censorship when they are driven away from the public trough; hence the NEA.

On the other hand, Moscow’s censorship might be “. . . normal taste . . .” in Moscow:

The Department of Culture in Moscow will remove Fifty Shades of Grey from its library shelves in order to help readers develop a “normal taste” in literature.​

I am not exactly sure what constitutes normal taste anywhere, but I do know censorship when I see it:

According to Russian news agency TASS, Alexander Kibovsky, head of the Department of Culture in Moscow, said that the citywide review of library books was not “a question of censorship, but of understanding the situation.”

BY: Jenna Lifhits
August 26, 2015 11:37 am

So I am not misunderstood, I must declare that I oppose censorship of any kind; more so when the government does the censoring.

Just so I understand the situation in Moscow, Russian readers had a long love affair with censorship. Stalin censored every novel except Jack London’s The Iron Heel. That was the only novel by an American author that Stalin allowed in Communist libraries. Among Old Joe’s other records, he still holds the record for the most novels censored.

Censorship of a sort

Censorship bit Soviet Communists on the ass when they locked up their dissident authors. Years later the Kremlin admitted that they would have let their dissidents emigrate to the West sooner had they known that nobody in America cared what they said.

Finally, should Fifty Shades of Grey be censored anywhere? Answer: No. It is easier to ignore it.

Not sure if libraries are the sort of place for this kind of book. If you want to read this kind of book, buy it.

Forum List

Back