Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was found liable in financial fraud

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
The plot thickens...

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was found liable in financial fraud - The Washington Post

But Bales’s decision to join the Army also came at a pivotal point in his pre-military career — a career as a stock trader that appears to have ended months after he was accused of engaging in financial fraud while handling the retirement account of an elderly client in Ohio, according to financial records.

An arbitrator later ordered Bales and the owner of the firm that employed him to pay $1.4 million — about half for compensation and half in punitive damages — for taking part in “fraud” and “unauthorized trading,” according to a ruling from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the independent disciplinary board for brokers and brokerage houses.

But the finding of financial fraud adds to an increasingly complex picture of a man who, on the one hand, is described by friends and neighbors as a family man and an even-tempered soldier, and, on the other, had repeated encounters with the law, including an arrest on suspicion of drunken driving, involvement in a hit-and-run accident and a misdemeanor assault charge.

In addition to those incidents, he had evidently been under financial stress. His home near Tacoma was put up for a short sale a few days before the March 11 shootings in Afghanistan.

....​

I'm sure all sorts of trash will be dug up on this guy.
Doesn't matter.
He needs a quick court-martial and a firing squad, ASAP.

Doesn't matter.
I don't know if this is trash, though. There is already a judgment against him in a civil matter for fraud - a good chunk of money in that judgment, too.

And, he had to have his house short sold.

It might add to his defense, as a matter of fact. Too much stress on several fronts.

The government will find it or make it up if they don't. The story of the admirable soldier was just getting too big. Too much sympathy for the man.

The government will find it or make it up if they don't. The story of the admirable soldier was just getting too big. Too much sympathy for the man.

The issue here, is not whether the soldier was an angel before or even after he joined the army. The issue is murder, and whether murder occurred because the man was cleared for deployment when he should not have been. If this is yet another incident of a soldier having a diagnosis reversed without proper cause, so he could be deployed again (already been incidents of that, some resulting in suicides), this is going to get really ugly for the army.

The issue here, is not whether the soldier was an angel before or even after he joined the army.

The issue is murder, and whether murder occurred because the man was cleared for deployment when he should not have been. If this is yet another incident of a soldier having a diagnosis reversed without proper cause, so he could be deployed again (already been incidents of that, some resulting in suicides), this is going to get really ugly for the army.

Yes.

What does it mean, exactly, to be "liable" in financial fraud?

If no criminal conviction, it could just be he should have been aware of something that he wasn't?

Not sure if it means anything at all as it pertains to this case.

If he was a convicted CRIMINAL, that's a little different, because probably he shouldn't have been able to join the service in the first place.

He joined the military at 28. That's all I needed to know to explain his behavior.

Why? My daughter in laws brother joined when he was 28 or 29. He had a family to take care of and there was no work for him, so he made this choice. Age doesn't mean a thing...

The plot thickens...

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was found liable in financial fraud - The Washington Post

But Bales’s decision to join the Army also came at a pivotal point in his pre-military career — a career as a stock trader that appears to have ended months after he was accused of engaging in financial fraud while handling the retirement account of an elderly client in Ohio, according to financial records.

An arbitrator later ordered Bales and the owner of the firm that employed him to pay $1.4 million — about half for compensation and half in punitive damages — for taking part in “fraud” and “unauthorized trading,” according to a ruling from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the independent disciplinary board for brokers and brokerage houses.

But the finding of financial fraud adds to an increasingly complex picture of a man who, on the one hand, is described by friends and neighbors as a family man and an even-tempered soldier, and, on the other, had repeated encounters with the law, including an arrest on suspicion of drunken driving, involvement in a hit-and-run accident and a misdemeanor assault charge.

In addition to those incidents, he had evidently been under financial stress. His home near Tacoma was put up for a short sale a few days before the March 11 shootings in Afghanistan.

....​

To be honest I don't really see what this has to do with what he did in Afghanistan, we all know the Military really doesn't pay much, when I was in the service I knew several Military members who filed for bankruptcy, had cars re-posssessed, and were living paycheck for paycheck at cash checking places off post. This probably added to his stress though.

The plot thickens...

....​

To be honest I don't really see what this has to do with what he did in Afghanistan, we all know the Military really doesn't pay much, when I was in the service I knew several Military members who filed for bankruptcy, had cars re-posssessed, and were living paycheck for paycheck at cash checking places off post. This probably added to his stress though.
Yup. So, if he goes for temp insanity defense, this helps that, IMO.

The plot thickens...

....​

Yup. So, if he goes for temp insanity defense, this helps that, IMO.

Oh yeah, this man had no business going to Afghanistan, the Army just had numbers to meet and pushed him through, not the first time this has happened. All the people wanting to have this man killed to appease Afghan bloodlust need to think about that.

Doesn't matter.

Really? Why the rush?

The victims become a footnote, an anonymous footnote. Just the number 16. No one bothered to ask their ages, their hobbies, their aspirations. Worst of all, no one bothered to ask their names.

In honoring their memory, I write their names below, and the little we know about them: that nine of them were children, three were women.

The dead:
Mohamed Dawood son of Abdullah
Khudaydad son of Mohamed Juma
Nazar Mohamed
Payendo
Robeena
Shatarina daughter of Sultan Mohamed
Zahra daughter of Abdul Hamid
Nazia daughter of Dost Mohamed
Masooma daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Farida daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Palwasha daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Nabia daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Esmatullah daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Faizullah son of Mohamed Wazir
Essa Mohamed son of Mohamed Hussain
Akhtar Mohamed son of Murrad Ali "

Poor Mohamed Wazir lost 5 daughters and a son...very sad :doubt:

Doesn't matter.

Really? Why the rush?

The victims become a footnote, an anonymous footnote. Just the number 16. No one bothered to ask their ages, their hobbies, their aspirations. Worst of all, no one bothered to ask their names.

In honoring their memory, I write their names below, and the little we know about them: that nine of them were children, three were women.

The dead:
Mohamed Dawood son of Abdullah
Khudaydad son of Mohamed Juma
Nazar Mohamed
Payendo
Robeena
Shatarina daughter of Sultan Mohamed
Zahra daughter of Abdul Hamid
Nazia daughter of Dost Mohamed
Masooma daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Farida daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Palwasha daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Nabia daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Esmatullah daughter of Mohamed Wazir
Faizullah son of Mohamed Wazir
Essa Mohamed son of Mohamed Hussain
Akhtar Mohamed son of Murrad Ali "

Poor Mohamed Wazir lost 5 daughters and a son...very sad :doubt:

Thank you urban; the defendant will face 17 counts of murder today, I've read.

Doesn't matter.

Really? Why the rush?

After 10+ years in 'The Graveyard of Nations', our Gubmint is still selling the snake-oil line of 'winning hearts, winning minds'.
Like taxes and death, it will be expedited.
And then we'll skee-daddle outta there with tails 'tween legs.
Sad.
Very, very sad.

Forum List

Back