SREC Member: "I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office."

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
SREC Member: "I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office" - The Texas Observer

When emails first appeared calling for dumping current Speaker Joe Straus in favor of "Christian conservative" leadership, Straus' more visible opponents initially dismissed accusations of anti-Jewish/pro-Christian bias. "I've never heard any one talk about Mr. Straus' religion," said Michael Quinn Sullivan, the head of Empower Texans and a vocal leader of the anti-Straus crowd. "There is no place in the speakership race for discussions of people's religion or lack thereof." Shortly afterwards, Straus' opponents took a new approach, condemning the emails and distancing themselves from the statements. "There is absolutely no place for religious bigotry in the race for Texas Speaker, and I categorically condemn such action," said state Rep. Ken Paxton, who's challenging Straus for the position.

It seemed like things had died down, until I obtained an email exchange Tuesday between two members of the State Republican Executive Committee—Rebecca Williamson and John Cook. After Williamson sent a fact sheet to SREC members defending Straus, Cook responded by dismissing her claims and saying that "We elected a house with Christian, conservative values. We now want a true Christian, conservative running it." (You can see both emails here.) Since the SREC governs state Republican Party affairs, this marked the first time an elected party leader had semi-openly called for a "Christian conservative" Speaker.

"When I got involved in politics, I told people I wanted to put Christian conservatives in leadership positions," he told me, explaining that he only supports Christian conservative candidates in Republican primary races.

"I want to make sure that a person I'm supporting is going to have my values. It's not anything about Jews and whether I think their religion is right or Muslims and whether I think their religion is right. ... I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office. They're the people that do the best jobs over all."

His opposition to Straus, he said, was rooted largely in his belief that the current Speaker is both pro-choice and pro-gay rights. "He's a pro choice person basically," Cook said. (Earlier in his career, Straus did vote against banning gay couples from serving as foster parents and against a ban on late-term abortions, albeit on two rather technical votes on amendments. However Kyleen Wright, president of Texans for Life, has been one of his biggest conservative supporters, among others.) Cook called the Republicans who worked with Democrats to elect Straus "turncoat RINOs." (Republicans in Name Only.)

Hear that folks, if you're pro-choice or pro-gay rights then you cannot possibly be a Conservative. Read the entire article though, plenty of facepalm moments. Though this was one of my favorites:

"They're some of my best friends," he said of Jews, naming two friends of his. "I'm not bigoted at all; I'm not racist."

He used the "some of my best friends are" line. :rofl:

He's free to promote his own agenda. That's his right. That's what America is all about. You don't have to vote for any candidates he supports or promotes. That's your right. Isn't America great? :)

He's free to promote his own agenda. That's his right. That's what America is all about. You don't have to vote for any candidates he supports or promotes. That's your right. Isn't America great? :)

Seems like he is being very open with what he wants to do. Your point?

Why am I not surprised that neither of you see the problem with the blatant bigotry against the Jewish candidate in this place. Or rather, neither of you care. If this was happening to a Christian, I'm sure both of your tunes would be rather different.

It's interesting that this made it out in the open, but I'd be lying if I said I was surprised the Texas SREC leadership felt this way. Somehow, though, this will be turned as an unfair attack against those victimized christians.

Why am I not surprised that neither of you see the problem with the blatant bigotry against the Jewish candidate in this place. Or rather, neither of you care. If this was happening to a Christian, I'm sure both of your tunes would be rather different.

I'm assuming you would be equally as horrified if he were Jewish and working hard to get a Jewish candidate into office? Or would that be ok?

Just because he's a Christian does not make him a bigot. Idiot.

I'm assuming you would be equally as horrified if he were Jewish and working hard to get a Jewish candidate into office? Or would that be ok?

Wrong, I'm not saying he's a bigot because he's a Christian. Did you even bother to read the article?

Wrong, I'm not saying he's a bigot because he's a Christian. Did you even bother to read the article?

Yea.... I don't get what the issue is. Would you be having a whine if he was black and working to get a black liberal into office? Or Muslim? Or gay?

What is the issue?

Yea.... I don't get what the issue is. Would you be having a whine if he was black and working to get a black liberal into office? Or Muslim? Or gay?

What is the issue?

Again, you clearly didn't read the article. He wasn't just supporting Christian candidates, he was campaigning against a Jewish candidate because of the simple fact he was Jewish. This would be like if a African American candidate was campaigning against a candidate because he was white or vice versa.

SREC Member: "I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office" - The Texas Observer

When emails first appeared calling for dumping current Speaker Joe Straus in favor of "Christian conservative" leadership, Straus' more visible opponents initially dismissed accusations of anti-Jewish/pro-Christian bias. "I've never heard any one talk about Mr. Straus' religion," said Michael Quinn Sullivan, the head of Empower Texans and a vocal leader of the anti-Straus crowd. "There is no place in the speakership race for discussions of people's religion or lack thereof." Shortly afterwards, Straus' opponents took a new approach, condemning the emails and distancing themselves from the statements. "There is absolutely no place for religious bigotry in the race for Texas Speaker, and I categorically condemn such action," said state Rep. Ken Paxton, who's challenging Straus for the position.

It seemed like things had died down, until I obtained an email exchange Tuesday between two members of the State Republican Executive Committee—Rebecca Williamson and John Cook. After Williamson sent a fact sheet to SREC members defending Straus, Cook responded by dismissing her claims and saying that "We elected a house with Christian, conservative values. We now want a true Christian, conservative running it." (You can see both emails here.) Since the SREC governs state Republican Party affairs, this marked the first time an elected party leader had semi-openly called for a "Christian conservative" Speaker.

His opposition to Straus, he said, was rooted largely in his belief that the current Speaker is both pro-choice and pro-gay rights. "He's a pro choice person basically," Cook said. (Earlier in his career, Straus did vote against banning gay couples from serving as foster parents and against a ban on late-term abortions, albeit on two rather technical votes on amendments. However Kyleen Wright, president of Texans for Life, has been one of his biggest conservative supporters, among others.) Cook called the Republicans who worked with Democrats to elect Straus "turncoat RINOs." (Republicans in Name Only.)

Hear that folks, if you're pro-choice or pro-gay rights then you cannot possibly be a Conservative. Read the entire article though, plenty of facepalm moments. Though this was one of my favorites:

"They're some of my best friends," he said of Jews, naming two friends of his. "I'm not bigoted at all; I'm not racist."

He used the "some of my best friends are" line. :rofl:

So? What's your point?

What is the issue?

Again, you clearly didn't read the article. He wasn't just supporting Christian candidates, he was campaigning against a Jewish candidate because of the simple fact he was Jewish. This would be like if a African American candidate was campaigning against a candidate because he was white or vice versa.

So, are you comprehension challenged or just a liar?

Modbert again exhibits his non partisan bias by posting a worthless non-story about a couple of backwater nothings that fails to make whatever case he tries that Republicans are Eeevil bigots.

Major fail, s0n.

He's not a Bigot. That really is a pretty big stretch. He is openly pushing his Christian Conservative agenda. That doesn't make him a Bigot in any way though. The OP has chosen to perceive his agenda that way but that doesn't make it so. Everyone pushes an agenda. I actually respect the man for being open and up front about it. No one is forcing anyone to vote for any candidate this man supports or promotes. This is what Freedom is all about. He's free to push his agenda. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Like this is'nt already happening on the liberal side of the aisle????

Give me a break. He is free to promote whomever he sees fit. Just like the proud libs do....

That's a nice stretch there, junior...

Facepalm, indeed...

I'm only repeating what the guy himself said.

I'm only repeating what the guy himself said.

Since when does one guy speak for all conservatives?

Or are YOU claiming to speak for conservatives...

Here are YOUR words again:
Hear that folks, if you're pro-choice or pro-gay rights then you cannot possibly be a Conservative.

Perhaps some clarification on the meaning of your accusation is in order...

Like this is'nt already happening on the liberal side of the aisle????

Give me a break. He is free to promote whomever he sees fit. Just like the proud libs do....

not really... there isn't allowed to be any 'religious test' for politicians in this country. there's also this silly thing called the first amendment which requires the separation of church and state.

so no...he's not allowed to.

Since when does one guy speak for all conservatives?

Or are YOU claiming to speak for conservatives...

Here are YOUR words again:
Hear that folks, if you're pro-choice or pro-gay rights then you cannot possibly be a Conservative.

Perhaps some clarification on the meaning of your accusation is in order...

Did I say he speaks for all conservatives? No. I'm merely pointing out this one's guy logic.

You're the one who is jumping to conclusions that I'm saying he speaks for all Conservatives. I'm merely mocking his logic because clearly any real conservative would not say such things like he did.

Forum List

Back