The squirrels who live around here wouldn't really be deterred by a cat. There are plenty of cats around here, and the squirrels still come around. They are ballsy little buggers!

Squirrels are horrible. They systematically eat the bulbs of flowers from the ground every winter. This is horrible. Because you want the bulbs to flower again every year.

Why do towns have ordinances against killing squirrels?

Why should you allow squirrels to eat your bulbs?

What do you get if you start shooting up the squirrels in your street? I discussed this with my neighbor and we would like to shoot them all. Do you think we will get something if we start?

What do you have to do to get rid of squirrels? Every time you kill one, two steps in its place. Is there a good solution here?

For starters, squirrels don't eat bulbs. We have bulbs, squirrels, voles, moles, skunks, raccoons, possum, deer and no problem with them coming up an blooming every year.

Why do people fight battles they can't win? The deer demolished our ornamental but really, I'd rater have little bambi's born in our side yard than have some dumb plant growing. Nothing is more fun than watching tiny fawns from our kitchen window.

Our next door neighbor has a company come every month to spray for insects. They still have every bug and spider and we don't have any - because our house is tight.

It really is a lot more fun to live WITH nature than trying to win a battle against her. Fight Mother Nature and you will lose. That's the way its always been and the way it will always be.
Starting a compost pile that is squirrel friendly may deter squirrels from other plants.

bunny_egg_red_zps0ihfz0qo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Squirrels are horrible. They systematically eat the bulbs of flowers from the ground every winter. This is horrible. Because you want the bulbs to flower again every year.

What do you get if you start shooting up the squirrels in your street? I discussed this with my neighbor and we would like to shoot them all. Do you think we will get something if we start?

What do you have to do to get rid of squirrels? Every time you kill one, two steps in its place. Is there a good solution here?
A quality air rifle is indispensable, in suburban tree rat control. I recommend the TX 200 in .22 caliber. Another fine option is the D 48, also in .22 caliber. As you can see I'm partial to the .22 calibers. The TX will be your quieter, more accurate option, while the D 48 will be a power house.

For starters, squirrels don't eat bulbs. We have bulbs, squirrels, voles, moles, skunks, raccoons, possum, deer and no problem with them coming up an blooming every year.

Why do people fight battles they can't win? The deer demolished our ornamental but really, I'd rater have little bambi's born in our side yard than have some dumb plant growing. Nothing is more fun than watching tiny fawns from our kitchen window.

Our next door neighbor has a company come every month to spray for insects. They still have every bug and spider and we don't have any - because our house is tight.

It really is a lot more fun to live WITH nature than trying to win a battle against her. Fight Mother Nature and you will lose. That's the way its always been and the way it will always be.
Starting a compost pile that is squirrel friendly may deter squirrels from other plants.

We compost, or at least that's we call the outdoor snack bar.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Do you eat flower bulbs?

I live in northern Ohio and have never had squirrel problems.

We compost, or at least that's we call the outdoor snack bar.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
we have dogs. they are all female and don't mind being drama queens.

My one-quarter Maine Coon caught, killed, and ate a field mouse today.

He was very happy about some fresh meat finally.

The winter snows had covered the field across the street where he usually hunts.

There are no squirrels around here.

Where we lived before there were lots of tree squirrels and he would wait all day quietly and still until one would come down from a tree and then he would grab and eat it.
PATROLLING20.JPG

That is just a damn waste of a squirrel. Cooked properly squirrels are some good eatin.

Yes they are. Ate them all the time growing up. Not sure why that's a waste though...
Because that thing would be like eating your wallet. Squirrel doesn't have any fat in it so the meat needs to be prepared properly. Straight off the bone is not the way in my experience.

Some truth to that, but I've had them cooked many ways and on the bone can be great. True a nice slow cooked stew is probably best.

If you want to poison a squirrel, there is really no squirrel poison. However there is a bait called Just One Bite that is an excellent rat poison and squirrels will eat it, crawl off somewhere and die in about 2 days. However they die a very painful death so I won't use it. It should not be used where pets can eat it. It can be purchased at Sears, Amazon or E-Bay. I get rid of them by using a small squirrel trap that can be purchased at Walmart or Home Depot. Put a little bit of peanut butter in the trap and when the squirrel goes in, take the trap and drive to your brother-in-laws house and dump the squirrel in his yard. Problem.....solved.
I've used the trap method but don't take them anywhere. I give them swimming lessons instead and not one of 'em have ever mastered the skill. In fact all of them have drowned, after which I remove the trap from their pool, a garbage can full of water, dump 'em in a bag and put it in the garbage.

It helps to develope the mindset that squirrels are simply rats with big fluffy tails.

Buy a dog, ours chases them away. They are so concerned about her, when I open the patio door they ran for the hills.

squirrels arent getting your bulbs....moles are.....
Moles are very very easy to kill in one day. Take your mower and remove the muffler and install a 3/8 double nipple pipe fitting. Then install a reduction bell backwards so the pipe is now 1/2 inch. Hook one end of your garden hose to it and the other down the hole. Start the mower and go have lunch. The exhaust gas will kill them all in about an hour.

I just might try this on some muskrats...

soon!

Forum List

Back