Spring cleaning

Ya'll have to forgive my computer ignorance. I realize a lot of people I encounter on the Internet were born with a mouse in their hands, but I wasn't. I muddle along, and can usually figure things out eventually by following precise directions, but I'm no pro. And not even a semi-pro.

I'm self taught, started to learn out of necessity, (fix my own mistakes) to learning when I become interested in something.
For example, 6 days ago I knew nothing about Android phones, since then I've learned about half of the functions, downloaded and installed Quick-Settings and unlocked my phone's built in (but hidden) hot spots setting tool. Now I'm trying to figure out why it connects to my computer but wont give me an internet connection of my laptop. I get "DNS server unavailable" (or something like that). Still haven't been able to figure that one out :evil:

I hope you're not asking for MY help with that! I'm still using a Tracfone, a landline and a desktop. I don't really want to be any more "connected" than I already am. Actually, my only advice would be to make that dreaded phone call to find out what it means, if you can find a *person* to answer the question. Good luck.

I gotta put the cattle out now.It'll be dark in ten minutes.
The program I wanted to refer you too is Xmarks.
Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search
Tell me what you use and I'll post a screen cast. Is it IE, Opera? Firefox ? Chrome ?
I'll assume you run Windoze.

The only thing I like more than terrah_rizing murkins is fixing computer problems ( and mountain climbing/getting nekkid in hot springs)

Ya'll have to forgive my computer ignorance. I realize a lot of people I encounter on the Internet were born with a mouse in their hands, but I wasn't. I muddle along, and can usually figure things out eventually by following precise directions, but I'm no pro. And not even a semi-pro.

I'm self taught, started to learn out of necessity, (fix my own mistakes) to learning when I become interested in something.
For example, 6 days ago I knew nothing about Android phones, since then I've learned about half of the functions, downloaded and installed Quick-Settings and unlocked my phone's built in (but hidden) hot spots setting tool. Now I'm trying to figure out why it connects to my computer but wont give me an internet connection of my laptop. I get "DNS server unavailable" (or something like that). Still haven't been able to figure that one out :evil:

I hope you're not asking for MY help with that! I'm still using a Tracfone, a landline and a desktop. I don't really want to be any more "connected" than I already am. Actually, my only advice would be to make that dreaded phone call to find out what it means, if you can find a *person* to answer the question. Good luck.

Nope can't call em on that one. It's not illegal but the service providers hate it because they can't make money off of it. I have to see if anyone here or at work can help me. I know is a simple frigging setting somewhere but I don't know where to look.

I don't want to delete the whole thing.

I understand, but your links are in there individually, just delete the ones you don't want.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's too tedious. Some are pretty old and I would like to delete whole chunks in a row, rather than clicking on each one, answering the question ARE YOU SURE? Then delete, and on to the next.

If I only had a few in there, it wouldn't be such a chore. But I have hundreds, collected over a 10-year period.

if you are in the folder MM, you can individually select ( if you want to skip over a few) as many as you want by holding down ' Ctrl' and left clicking each link/file, they will highlight, then when you have selected all of the ones you want to delete, right click and select delete.......

if you want to delete a whole line of them in order, hold down shift, then select one further down the line, left click it, they will highlight, then right click and delete....

Tell me what you use and I'll post a screen cast. Is it IE, Opera? Firefox ? Chrome ?

The only thing I like more than terrah_rizing murkins is fixing computer problems ( and mountain climbing/getting nekkid in hot springs)

yup...
X marks is the bomb, you can take your bookmarks and toolbar with links embedded to any machine you use and install x marks on...(firefox only I think)

Anyone know a trick to deleting whole sections of old stuff filed in Favorites?

I know you can CTRL/SHIFT/DELETE in email in/out boxes (click on first, scroll to last in group), but that doesn't work in Favorites. As far as I can see you have to do it one by one. Very tedious.

Thanks in advance to my more knowledgeable friends.

The very best way to make sure you get rid of all of the files you don't want any longer is to toss the whole computer into the trash dumpster and go down to Best Buy and get yourself a new one!!! Hope this help.:lol:

I have both IE8 and Chrome, Windows XP.

I understand, but your links are in there individually, just delete the ones you don't want.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's too tedious. Some are pretty old and I would like to delete whole chunks in a row, rather than clicking on each one, answering the question ARE YOU SURE? Then delete, and on to the next.

If I only had a few in there, it wouldn't be such a chore. But I have hundreds, collected over a 10-year period.

if you are in the folder MM, you can individually select ( if you want to skip over a few) as many as you want by holding down ' Ctrl' and left clicking each link/file, they will highlight, then when you have selected all of the ones you want to delete, right click and select delete.......

if you want to delete a whole line of them in order, hold down shift, then select one further down the line, left click it, they will highlight, then right click and delete....

I just tried that and it only deleted the last one. Your method is what I use to clean up my inbox, sent files, etc., but it doesn't work in Favorites/Bookmarks. I wish it did.

Anyone know a trick to deleting whole sections of old stuff filed in Favorites?

I know you can CTRL/SHIFT/DELETE in email in/out boxes (click on first, scroll to last in group), but that doesn't work in Favorites. As far as I can see you have to do it one by one. Very tedious.

Thanks in advance to my more knowledgeable friends.

The very best way to make sure you get rid of all of the files you don't want any longer is to toss the whole computer into the trash dumpster and go down to Best Buy and get yourself a new one!!! Hope this help.:lol:

Well not really, because if you want files transferred to a new system, it will do just that.

But I am planning to trash my Canon printer, the cheap pos that it is. I don't print that much stuff so didn't want to invest in anything fancy. But Canon recoups its low printer price by forcing you to use a new cartridges, theirs of course, which cost almost as much as the printer. You can't refill cartridges in Canon products apparently.

Thanks, Ringle, I'll try those. But if it turns out to be too complicated, I'll just keep plugging away one at a time, maybe a few a day.

Read the descriptions when you check out the links. Also they should work with most Microsoft OSs but read them just to be certain.

This is a great generalized app for all around system cleaning, including cleaning up the registry. I use it frequently.

Glary Utilities - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I did install that one, and I like it. The other two you recommended couldn't download to Windows XP. Thanks for your suggestions.

Google Chrome copied all my "favorites/bookmarks" from IE, and alphabetized them, so the one-by-one task isn't so tiring and boring. I do a few every day (some good stuff I'd forgotten all about!).

Now if I can just figure out why my monitor seems to crackle at night after it's been turned off for several hours. Is it party time for all those little people inside once I turn out the light?

Forum List

Back