Spotlight on Mitt Romney

You lost me the minute you said 'google Mitt Romney'. Anyone who thinks they can get enough honest, non partisan, factual information by 'googling Mitt Romney' or any one else is a fucking moron.

it must be very lonely being the only non-moron on the planet.

I'm sure it would be.... if it were true. But, happily, it is not. If you read what I said, I think my meaning is clear. If you don't read it, then, yea.... I can see what you're whinging about.

You lost me the minute you said 'google Mitt Romney'. Anyone who thinks they can get enough honest, non partisan, factual information by 'googling Mitt Romney' or any one else is a fucking moron.

it must be very lonely being the only non-moron on the planet.

Yes. Especially for a person who demands absolute evidence of all claims made......and does so without regard to one's political ideology. I am always impressed with her willingness to demand peer reviewed sources when a conservative poster makes a statement of fact. It truly elevates the level of discourse here.

Mr. Romney has most certainly put us between a rock and a hard place when it comes to medical insurance. Prior to 2003 and Mr. Romney's tenure, I paid approximately $3500.00 a year for medical insurance to cover both my wife and I. Our only out of pocket expense was a $15.00 co-pay per office visit. Today, I must pay approximately $5200.00 a year for what is basically the same coverage my wife and I have always had.

That's a growth rate in your premiums of about 4.5%/year over the ensuing nine years--not ideal but not too bad, compared to the rest of the nation (though if you have an employer footing part of the bill, that doesn't necessarily reflect the growth in the total cost of the insurance plan).

And that's without the Massachusetts reforms paying much attention to cost control. As Avorysuds' factcheck article helpfully points out "The federal law put a greater emphasis on cost-control measures, for instance. Massachusetts is just now tackling that."

His state's insurance reforms are Romney's primary achievement in public life, even if that's somewhat toxic in a race to win the hearts of the GOP primary electorate.

As someone who lived through the Mitt Romney, 70th Governor of Massachusetts era, I feel compelled to let the rest of the Country know just what we've gone through since Mr. Romney sat in office and was shown the door. Oh yes, he was shown the door, in a manner of speaking. His decision not to run for a second term was a very clever preemptive strike to avoid an embarrassing loss in the next election, as his lieutenant governor eventually suffered.

As a Presidential candidate, there are two critical phases of Mr. Romney's life one must consider. To begin with, there's his involvement with Bain Capital, which began as a private equity investment firm spun off from Bain & Company under Mr. Romney's direction in 1984. In the beginning, Bain Capital focused on venture capital opportunities. However, it wasn't long before Mr. Romney switched Bain Capital's focus from startups to the relatively new business of leveraged buyouts, that is, buying existing firms with money mostly borrowed against the assets of said firms, partnering with existing management to apply the "Bain way" to their operations, and then selling them off in a few years. It is claimed that this method is less hostile than those used in other leverage buyouts, but it is what it is; buying up companies to acquire its assets and then sell them off, with no regard for those involved. I have no intention of specifically indicting Mr. Romney on the following, but leverage buyouts were the processes by which many of you watched your pensions dissolve or otherwise disappear.

Regarding his time as Governor of Massachusetts, Mr. Romney took his toll on its residents as well. Mr. Romney supported raising various fees by more than $300 million, including those for driver's licenses, marriage licenses, and gun licenses. He increased a special gasoline retailer fee by two cents per gallon, generating about $60 million per year in additional revenue. Although Mr. Romney closed tax loopholes that brought in some $300 million from businesses during his tenure winning him plaudits from the legislature, it is considered a trade-off for the state legislatures support in cutting state expenditures by $1.6 billion, including $700 million in reductions in state aid to cities and towns. The cuts also included a $140 million reduction in state funding for higher education, which led state-run colleges and universities to increase tuition by 63 percent over four years. Mr. Romney sought additional cuts in his last year as Massachusetts governor by vetoing nearly 250 items in the state budget, but all of them were overridden by the Democratic-dominated legislature. The cuts in state spending put added pressure on local property taxes; the share of town and city revenues coming from property taxes rose from 49 percent to 53 percent.

Mr. Romney has most certainly put us between a rock and a hard place when it comes to medical insurance. Prior to 2003 and Mr. Romney's tenure, I paid approximately $3500.00 a year for medical insurance to cover both my wife and I. Our only out of pocket expense was a $15.00 co-pay per office visit. Today, I must pay approximately $5200.00 a year for what is basically the same coverage my wife and I have always had. In addition to the premium, there is a $2000.00 deductible that must be applied for all other services, save our annual physicals. Adding insult to injury, our co-pay for an office visit is now $20.00.

Mr. Romney's mandate all but eliminated the competition within the medical insurance marketplace. His efforts also created unforeseen costs that are being passed along to the residents of Massachusetts. If you don't think Mr. Romney will attempt to mandate some kind medical insurance policy for one and all, you're sadly mistaken.

It would be easy for someone to claim that I'm talking through my backside, but nothing could be further from the truth. What I haven't drawn from personal experience comes from Wikipedia.

Please, Google Mitt Romney.

Your depiction of LBOs is dishonest.

As someone who lived through the Mitt Romney, 70th Governor of Massachusetts era, I feel compelled to let the rest of the Country know just what we've gone through since Mr. Romney sat in office and was shown the door. Oh yes, he was shown the door, in a manner of speaking. His decision not to run for a second term was a very clever preemptive strike to avoid an embarrassing loss in the next election, as his lieutenant governor eventually suffered.

As a Presidential candidate, there are two critical phases of Mr. Romney's life one must consider. To begin with, there's his involvement with Bain Capital, which began as a private equity investment firm spun off from Bain & Company under Mr. Romney's direction in 1984. In the beginning, Bain Capital focused on venture capital opportunities. However, it wasn't long before Mr. Romney switched Bain Capital's focus from startups to the relatively new business of leveraged buyouts, that is, buying existing firms with money mostly borrowed against the assets of said firms, partnering with existing management to apply the "Bain way" to their operations, and then selling them off in a few years. It is claimed that this method is less hostile than those used in other leverage buyouts, but it is what it is; buying up companies to acquire its assets and then sell them off, with no regard for those involved. I have no intention of specifically indicting Mr. Romney on the following, but leverage buyouts were the processes by which many of you watched your pensions dissolve or otherwise disappear.

Regarding his time as Governor of Massachusetts, Mr. Romney took his toll on its residents as well. Mr. Romney supported raising various fees by more than $300 million, including those for driver's licenses, marriage licenses, and gun licenses. He increased a special gasoline retailer fee by two cents per gallon, generating about $60 million per year in additional revenue. Although Mr. Romney closed tax loopholes that brought in some $300 million from businesses during his tenure winning him plaudits from the legislature, it is considered a trade-off for the state legislatures support in cutting state expenditures by $1.6 billion, including $700 million in reductions in state aid to cities and towns. The cuts also included a $140 million reduction in state funding for higher education, which led state-run colleges and universities to increase tuition by 63 percent over four years. Mr. Romney sought additional cuts in his last year as Massachusetts governor by vetoing nearly 250 items in the state budget, but all of them were overridden by the Democratic-dominated legislature. The cuts in state spending put added pressure on local property taxes; the share of town and city revenues coming from property taxes rose from 49 percent to 53 percent.

Mr. Romney has most certainly put us between a rock and a hard place when it comes to medical insurance. Prior to 2003 and Mr. Romney's tenure, I paid approximately $3500.00 a year for medical insurance to cover both my wife and I. Our only out of pocket expense was a $15.00 co-pay per office visit. Today, I must pay approximately $5200.00 a year for what is basically the same coverage my wife and I have always had. In addition to the premium, there is a $2000.00 deductible that must be applied for all other services, save our annual physicals. Adding insult to injury, our co-pay for an office visit is now $20.00.

Mr. Romney's mandate all but eliminated the competition within the medical insurance marketplace. His efforts also created unforeseen costs that are being passed along to the residents of Massachusetts. If you don't think Mr. Romney will attempt to mandate some kind medical insurance policy for one and all, you're sadly mistaken.

It would be easy for someone to claim that I'm talking through my backside, but nothing could be further from the truth. What I haven't drawn from personal experience comes from Wikipedia.

I was cutting him a lot of slack on that. Along with his bullshit about the 'Bains way' - by which I take it he means the perfectly legitimate concept of bringing new 'business models' into failing companies in order to try to save that company.

California Girl, that which wasn't based on personal experience was based on credible state statistics... If you choose not to believe what I posted about my personal life, so be it. There's nothing I can do about that, however, I have no reason to lie.

Since when does Wikipedia, the online, editable by anyone with a computer encyclopedia count as "credible state statistics?"

...It would be easy for someone to claim that I'm talking through my backside, but nothing could be further from the truth. What I haven't drawn from personal experience comes from Wikipedia...

Mr. Romney has most certainly put us between a rock and a hard place when it comes to medical insurance. Prior to 2003 and Mr. Romney's tenure, I paid approximately $3500.00 a year for medical insurance to cover both my wife and I. Our only out of pocket expense was a $15.00 co-pay per office visit. Today, I must pay approximately $5200.00 a year for what is basically the same coverage my wife and I have always had.

That's a growth rate in your premiums of about 4.5%/year over the ensuing nine years--not ideal but not too bad, compared to the rest of the nation (though if you have an employer footing part of the bill, that doesn't necessarily reflect the growth in the total cost of the insurance plan).

And that's without the Massachusetts reforms paying much attention to cost control. As Avorysuds' factcheck article helpfully points out "The federal law put a greater emphasis on cost-control measures, for instance. Massachusetts is just now tackling that."

His state's insurance reforms are Romney's primary achievement in public life, even if that's somewhat toxic in a race to win the hearts of the GOP primary electorate.

Let's put this issue into perspective; the Massachusetts Health Care Reform Act wasn't signed into law until 4/16/06, and so the changes I spoke of didn't really begin until some time after that. The situation I face today is a year old, and so the changes I spoke of were realized in a matter of some three years. From my point of view, I've seen an increase in my medical insurance premium of 50% +/- in a three year plus period, not to mention a 25%-150% increase in my co-pays, depending on which one you choose to look at.

As for Avorysuds reference to FactCheck.org, after reviewing the summary and the analysis, I don't see how reference to that article was a good counterpoint to my post. If you pay close attention and read between the lines, it only supports my point.

you are quite the hack. in previous threads you stated that only rational, informed people should be involved in debates. seems to me trying to find out about a candidate is how you get informed.

but ill bite, where should we get our information?

Excuse my ignorance, for I have no idea what LBO's are. As for my being dishonest, it would be nice if you backed up your claim; if you can't, keep your opinions to yourself. Have a nice day!

I was cutting him a lot of slack on that. Along with his bullshit about the 'Bains way' - by which I take it he means the perfectly legitimate concept of bringing new 'business models' into failing companies in order to try to save that company.

You didn't have to cut me any slack, I didn't need any. I know what I was talking about, unlike some other people on this board.

I think he's the master's choice for GOP candidate.

What more do we peasants need to know than that?

Coke or Pepsi. Those are your choices.

Cheers!

California Girl, that which wasn't based on personal experience was based on credible state statistics... If you choose not to believe what I posted about my personal life, so be it. There's nothing I can do about that, however, I have no reason to lie.

Since when does Wikipedia, the online, editable by anyone with a computer encyclopedia count as "credible state statistics?"

...It would be easy for someone to claim that I'm talking through my backside, but nothing could be further from the truth. What I haven't drawn from personal experience comes from Wikipedia...

Over the years I have found that Wikipedia, by virtue of it's ability to be edited by anyone with a computer, is perhaps ones best primary resource for looking up factual information. It's a self-editing encyclopedia that does provide factual information, in my opinion, well over 90% of the time. I went there initially, and followed up using other sources. No two sources will ever form the same opinion, but the statistics (numbers if you will) are what they are, they can't be changed. Accurate statistics can be Googled and verified, provided you know what you're doing..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back