Sports Violence: Should It Be Prosecuted?

But if you fight in a bar and give someone a concussion, you are arrested.....not so in sports

Not necessarily true. First, the guy with the concussion has to want to press charges. If he knows he started the bar fight or was otherwise culpable, he probably won't involve the police. On the other hand, bar fights in which nobody gets hurt can involve the police...concussions are not required. My point is that when we're dealing with disagreements on private property, it is in the interest of taxpayers to let the parties involved work it out for themselves. I'm not saying the police should never get involved, but I sure as hell would not call for MORE police involvement.

Anybody remember when we used to work shit out among ourselves? What nanny staters we've become!

People are arrested for fighting on private property all the time. Isn't a bar private property?

Yes they are but that doesn't make it right. Bars should provide their own security, and many do. Bar fights, sporting scuffles...I'm suggesting these things need not involve the use of taxpayer dollars, which police involvement requires. If someone starts a fight in your place, kick them out. In the vast majority of cases, that's all that's required. Certainly a couple of spoiled millionaires slapping each other on a basketball court need not involve taxpayer funded authorities.

Much like a bar fight, if you get into a shoving match in a bar or throw a punch with no damage you are thrown out.......just like in sports

But if you fight in a bar and give someone a concussion, you are arrested.....not so in sports

Up until now many people in this country have survived without more legislation involving sports.

The only thing more legislation will do is more arrests and fines.

Edit: It may also effect the competivness in the sport.

Last edited:

Not necessarily true. First, the guy with the concussion has to want to press charges. If he knows he started the bar fight or was otherwise culpable, he probably won't involve the police. On the other hand, bar fights in which nobody gets hurt can involve the police...concussions are not required. My point is that when we're dealing with disagreements on private property, it is in the interest of taxpayers to let the parties involved work it out for themselves. I'm not saying the police should never get involved, but I sure as hell would not call for MORE police involvement.

Anybody remember when we used to work shit out among ourselves? What nanny staters we've become!

Yea.....you used to be able to beat the shit out of your wife and kids and nobody cared

Yes they are but that doesn't make it right. Bars should provide their own security, and many do. Bar fights, sporting scuffles...I'm suggesting these things need not involve the use of taxpayer dollars, which police involvement requires. If someone starts a fight in your place, kick them out. In the vast majority of cases, that's all that's required. Certainly a couple of spoiled millionaires slapping each other on a basketball court need not involve taxpayer funded authorities.

Much like a bar fight, if you get into a shoving match in a bar or throw a punch with no damage you are thrown out.......just like in sports

Up until now many people in this country have survived without more legislation involving sports.

The only thing more legislation will do is more arrests and fines.

Edit: It may also effect the competivness in the sport.

Getting in a fight occurs after the action is over. It is not competitiveness it is an inability to control your emotions. If I get arrested for losing my temper in a traffic incident, a million dollar athlete should be arrested for losing his temper in a sporting event

there are already sanctions in place for overagressive behavior in sports, and they work just fine.

Sports is a substitute for our natural attraction to real battle. Emotions sometimes run high. It should be treated differently then a fight in the parking lot.

...is it time to begin prosecuting players for such acts instead of just leaving it to their leagues to deliver consequences?

So, in addition to the tax breaks and/or subsidies given to the team owners to build the stadium, we're now going to use more taxpayer dollars to arrest their entitled players getting into fights on private property? I have to say no to that one.

In a sense, maybe fighting is a part of basketball. Have we forgotten the Bad Boys and all the fights they got in with Magic and Larry Bird? Should Magic and Larry have criminal records? Its a tough game, especially come playoff time.

Just like fighting is a part of hockey.

Now, after playing devils advocate, Rom Meta World Piece of Shit Artest is a nut. I actually felt bad for him and appreciated his talent. And that's hard for a Piston fan to do after the brawl in the Palace. But I was happy for him when he won the championship. I thought it would give him piece and confidence and less anger but apparently once a nut, always a nut. He is a troubled soul. Crazy. If it weren't for basketball he'd no doubt be in prison.

Here would be my penalty for Ron Artest.

1. Change your name back to Ron Artest immediately. Anything else and its only more proof you are insane. Don't do this and you are banned for life. If you do comply then..

2. Suspended the rest of the year. Ron should not win a championship this year. Not after that sucker punch. Not with his history.

3. Any fights ever again and you are banned from the NBA. Get hit, better lie down and take it. Defend yourself only. You can play hard and play good D but if you get in a virbal fight, better turn your back and walk away.

4. Maybe its time you just retire Ron.

there are already sanctions in place for overagressive behavior in sports, and they work just fine.

Sports is a substitute for our natural attraction to real battle. Emotions sometimes run high. It should be treated differently then a fight in the parking lot.

Our laws are suspended when you put on a uniform?

What is the difference if I lose my temper in a bar and I lose my temper on a basketball court?

That wasn't a fight. That was a derainged man sucker punching his opponent because he's fucking insane batshit crazy. Ron crossed the line. I agree with you about a one on one fight or even a baseball brawl. Its like, "on guard" or "put up your dukes" or "lets go". But Ron gave Harden no warning.

Can Ron pull out a shiv and shank Harden? Just kidding. But you do agree there is a diffrence between a fight and what Ron did to Harden?

What is the difference if I lose my temper in a bar and I lose my temper on a basketball court?

Actually, the laws are a little different at 2a.m. at a bar vs. you walking the streets during the day. If we get in a fight at the bar, the cops probably won't even be called. During the day, someone is getting arrested.

I don't know if the laws are different but the rules sure are.

OMG. Great story. This just happened. My buddy beat the hell out of this other guy so bad we decided to call 911. No one wanted to but he was out cold and didn't look good. We said he fell down the stairs when the cops/ems showed up.

He ended up being fine, but after all the tests and the overnight stay, $7000. And the guy doesn't have insurance.

We are making my buddy who beat him up pay $4000. The guy who got beat up wasn't completely innocent but my buddy went way too far. He said he snapped.

In rhetrospect, we shouldn't have called the cops. He would have been fine. And $7K is rediculous!

You as a non-pro is an interesting argument, but the highest level of competition is played at the pro level.

The difference is the professional playing field is a unique place- filled with ultra competativness and high emotion, where some bad behavior is forgiven.

You as a non-pro is an interesting argument, but the highest level of competition is played at the pro level.

The difference is the professional playing field is a unique place- filled with ultra competativness and high emotion, where some bad behavior is forgiven.

I've seen pickup basketball games get pretty nasty. If I did what Ron Artest did in a pickup game, I would be arrested.

Are millionaire pros exempt? they are not expected to maintain standards of conduct of someone in a pickup basketball game?

Yea.....you used to be able to beat the shit out of your wife and kids and nobody cared

And now you can't even paddle your kids without some nanny state fuck calling the cops for 'child abuse'. And what wonderful children that has produced...:cuckoo:

In the aftermath of the latest NBA player to receive a concussion from another player who elbowed him, is it time to begin prosecuting players for such acts instead of just leaving it to their leagues to deliver consequences?

As long as they are pro players the violence should be encouraged to get more viewers.

I've seen pickup basketball games get pretty nasty. If I did what Ron Artest did in a pickup game, I would be arrested.

Are millionaire pros exempt? they are not expected to maintain standards of conduct of someone in a pickup basketball game?

re-read my last post.

And now you can't even paddle your kids without some nanny state fuck calling the cops for 'child abuse'. And what wonderful children that has produced...:cuckoo:

Yea!

And the womenfolk backtalk all the time

Forum List

Back