Sports Quiz

USViking

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2005
Greensboro, NC USA
First correct responder gets to ask the next question.

Question:
Canada's greatest heavyweight.

He finished his career 73-13-2 with 64 KOs, once going the full 15 rounds against Muhammed Ali, another time going 12 against him.

He was never knocked down.

My question: 2 answers needed

What MLB baseball player sued MLB in violation of the antitrust laws, and who was the first free agent in MLB?

(BTW this is my 1000th post....do I get a cookie or something?)

Fmr jarhead said:
My question: 2 answers needed

What MLB baseball player sued MLB in violation of the antitrust laws, and who was the first free agent in MLB?

(BTW this is my 1000th post....do I get a cookie or something?)

Dammit- I know Curt Flood, but I'm not sure about the other. Was it Jim "Catfish" Hunter?

Yes it was.....Flood was traded from St Louis to Philly, and did not want to go...went to the Supreme Court....

Hunter let his contract expire, and signed an unprecedented 5 yr 750K per year deal with the Yankees.

Fmr jarhead said:
Yes it was.....Flood was traded from St Louis to Philly, and did not want to go...went to the Supreme Court....

Hunter let his contract expire, and signed an unprecedented 5 yr 750K per year deal with the Yankees.

My turn, I guess.

Question:

This pitcher holds the record for consecutive World Series wins with seven (7-2 total WS record).

He also won two 7th games (and lost one).

USViking said:
Question:

This pitcher holds the record for consecutive World Series wins with seven (7-2 total WS record).

He also won two 7th games (and lost one).

Answer: Bob Gibson.

He lost his first World Series game to the Yankess in game 2 in 1964.

Then he beat them twice, including a complere game 7th game, in spite of giving up a grand slam.

In the 1967 World Seies he beat the Red Sox 3 times, including game 7 again.

In the 1968 World Series he set a Series strikeout record against my favorite team, the Detroit Tigers, in the first game which I believe still stands: 17 in a 4-hit shutout of the best hitting team in baseball that year. His opponent was 31-game winner Denny Mc Lain (what a sad story he is). Then in the 4th game he beat the Detroit Tigers again by a by a sizeable margin. In the 7th game that year, the Tigers finally got hitting, with a game-winning triple by Jim Northrup, way over Curt Flood's head in center field.

Detroit pitcher Mickey Lolich was the MVP of the Series, with three complete game victories of his own, including his only major league home run as a batter. He beat the Cardinals in game 7 fair and square, on their home field, giving up one run, and that on the next to last batter, up by 4.

Of special note is the fact that on game 7 Lolich had only 2 days rest, while Gibson had 3.

My favorite baseball game of all time.

Anybody wish to ask a question?

Babe Ruth hit 29 home runs in the 1919 season. Whose record did he break, how many home runs did that person hit, and what year was it set?

gop_jeff said:
Babe Ruth hit 29 home runs in the 1919 season. Whose record did he break, how many home runs did that person hit, and what year was it set?

1. I forget. Jake Chandler, or something like that.

2. Over 20, I think.

3. I don't know, but before 1900.

The Babe was a great pitcher before he gave it up for hitting.

He was 9-5 as a picher the year he set the home run record.

He piched consecutive complete game shutouts in the World Series.

USViking said:
1. I forget. Jake Chandler, or something like that.

2. Over 20, I think.

3. I don't know, but before 1900.

The Babe was a great pitcher before he gave it up for hitting.

He was 9-5 as a picher the year he set the home run record.

He piched consecutive complete game shutouts in the World Series.

Answer 2 is right, but not very specific.

Since it's been 24 hours, Google is authorized.

1. Williamson

2. 27

3. 1884

Question:

This pitcher piched 12 straight perfect innings in a game in 1959.

His teammates never scored, and he lost on an error, a walk, and a home run in the 13th.

Harvey Haddix against the braves I think...

In 1882, what college forbid students to play football and penalized violaters by a fine of fifty cents?

USViking said:
1. Williamson

2. 27

3. 1884

Question:

This pitcher piched 12 straight perfect innings in a game in 1959.

His teammates never scored, and he lost on an error, a walk, and a home run in the 13th.

May 26, 1959, County Stadium, Milwaukee, WI, Harvey Haddix (3-3) goes 12 perfect inninngs only to lose in the bottom of the 13th. Felix Mantilla scores the winning run, Joe Adcock got the only hit. Don Hoak, Pittsburg's third baseman had the only error. Eddie Mathews had the only Sacriface. Haddix's counterpart, Lew Burdette (8-2) also pitched 13 pretty good innings, 12 hits, 0 walks, and just 2 strikeouts. Just to correct the question, there was no home run in the 13th, Mantilla scored on Adcocks double.

Next question: Which pitcher holds the record for most RBI's in a nine inning game? How many? How were the RBI's scored?

NoLabel said:
May 26, 1959, County Stadium, Milwaukee, WI, Harvey Haddix (3-3) goes 12 perfect inninngs only to lose in the bottom of the 13th. Felix Mantilla scores the winning run, Joe Adcock got the only hit. Don Hoak, Pittsburg's third baseman had the only error. Eddie Mathews had the only Sacriface. Haddix's counterpart, Lew Burdette (8-2) also pitched 13 pretty good innings, 12 hits, 0 walks, and just 2 strikeouts. Just to correct the question, there was no home run in the 13th, Mantilla scored on Adcocks double.

Next question: Which pitcher holds the record for most RBI's in a nine inning game? How many? How were the RBI's scored?

I answere UsViking's question already in my last post...

AB R HR RBI AVG OBP SLG SB
Puckett 7244 1071 207 1085 .318 .363 .477 134
Wynn 6653 1105 291 964 .250 .369 .436 225

kancer43 said:
Harvey Haddix against the braves I think...

In 1882, what college forbid students to play football and penalized violaters by a fine of fifty cents?

Correct on Haddix, with bonus points for naming the Braves as the oponents.

How about Notre Dame for the answer to yours?

Forum List

Back