Sports books see star power in Patriots QB

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Better get your bets in before the line moves to 10 points or more!

Sports books see star power in Patriots QB

Every big event needs a star to promote on the marquee, and the return of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to the Super Bowl could help Nevada sports books set another wagering record.

The presence of Brady, who has become the NFL's premier big-game player for the league's most dominant team, is expected to boost betting interest on what is always the year's biggest game in Las Vegas.

When the line for Super Bowl XXXIX opened Sunday night, New England was a 6 1/2-point favorite over the Philadelphia Eagles for the Feb. 6 game in Jacksonville, Fla. The total opened at 46 and moved to 48.

"It would not surprise me to see a record amount bet on the Super Bowl," Las Vegas Hilton sports book director Jay Kornegay said.

Brady led the Patriots to a 32-29 victory over the Carolina Panthers in last year's game. A record $81.2 million was wagered in Nevada, with the state's sports books winning a record $12.4 million.

"This is a more intriguing matchup," Kornegay said.

But the public appeal of the Super Bowl teams is not the only factor that drives wagering.

Stardust sports book director Bob Scucci said the record amount bet on last year's game was a surprise, and he attributed it to an advertising blitz by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority that lured tourists to the city.

"I think last year we benefited from a lot of people wanting to come back to Vegas for the Super Bowl after a couple years of concerns about traveling," Scucci said.

There is no reason to believe this year's wagering total won't set a record because the Philadelphia Eagles have a significantly larger fan base than the Carolina Panthers.

New England, which has won two of the past three Super Bowls, is on the brink of cementing its place in history as a dynasty team behind the lead of Brady, the game's Most Valuable Player in 2002 and 2004.

About an hour after the line was posted Sunday, support for the Patriots moved the point spread from 6 1/2 to 7 at several books, including the Hilton and Stardust.

"I think the line is about what it should be because you're going to get money on both sides," said handicapper Steve Cofield, a radio talk-show host on KENO-AM, 1460. "I wouldn't bet against the Patriots. I don't think you can go against this team.

"They're not going to come in overlooking the Eagles. I would lay the seven points. I could see the Patriots winning 27-10, 24-14 or something like that."

Philadelphia, led by another star-quality quarterback in Donovan McNabb, advanced to the Super Bowl by defeating Atlanta 27-10 in the NFC Championship on Sunday.

New England followed with a 41-27 victory over Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship.

The Patriots, who have won 31 of their past 33 games, will be an attraction for bettors because of their recent dominance. New England is resembling NFL dynasties of the past such as the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s and the San Francisco 49ers in the 1980s.

"The Patriots remind me a lot of the 49ers, and you've got Brady looking like Joe Montana," Kornegay said.

New England was a two-touchdown underdog in 2002 when it defeated St. Louis 20-17 in the Super Bowl. The Patriots opened and closed as 7-point favorites over Carolina last year.

Proposition bets are another way for books to generate revenue on the Super Bowl, and Kornegay said the Hilton will offer about 250 prop bets on the game.

Forum List

Back