Sport is Valuable in Many Ways

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Take a group of kids from a (very) inner-city environment - with all that implies, put them on a team in a (very) tough, competitive sport, and see what happens. Kids as different from one another as the most frightened "the races can't live together!" racist idiot could imagine will form lasting, sometimes life-long friendships. These friendships will be real and strong because they are based on things some kid sitting on his ass playing computer games couldn't imagine.

Give them a little time, and watch these young people grow more confident, strong, fit, diligent, respectful and responsible than they had ever been before. Behavior improves, grades improve, sometimes family relations improve.

Are there other ways for young people to grow and improve? Of course, but the above is powerful and impressive to observe.

Then why isn't it working? We've had inner city sports teams for ages, all tax payer funded.

Why don't we see the results you claim? What are we doing wrong?

Then why isn't it working? We've had inner city sports teams for ages, all tax payer funded.

Why don't we see the results you claim?

We do see it. No one said sport was a panacea.

I must be missing it. Because I see felons and criminals in sports all over the place.

And the inner cities are disasters.

Where is it working? Give me an example of success.

My little brother teaches Karate to inner city youth and while 4 or 5 ARE doing outstanding one was a failure. As with ANY sport or form of education its up to the PERSON to define the sport or education NOT the sport or education to define the PERSON.

I must be missing it. Because I see felons and criminals in sports all over the place.

You can't be this thick. Did anyone claim that everyone participates in sports, or that they magically make all crime and poverty disappear? If you want to see examples of success, go to your nearest inner-city high school and talk to the athletic department.

We take stupid inner city youth and turn them into professional wife beaters with little to no life skills.

We take stupid inner city youth and turn them into professional wife beaters with little to no life skills.

You're talking out your ass.

You're talking out of a textbook

You can't be this thick. Did anyone claim that everyone participates in sports, or that they magically make all crime and poverty disappear? If you want to see examples of success, go to your nearest inner-city high school and talk to the athletic department.

Believe me, I *WANT* what you say to be true. But I have been to the athletics department, and there are few, if any, examples of success.

I'm just not seeing it. Doesn't mean it isn't true, or that you are not right. I just haven't seen it.

You're talking out of a textbook

False

Believe me, I *WANT* what you say to be true. But I have been to the athletics department, and there are few, if any, examples of success.

I'm just not seeing it. Doesn't mean it isn't true, or that you are not right. I just haven't seen it.

I see it every day.

Diary

Baseball card shows are great for people looking for an introduction to the 'culture/mystique' of the world of sports, and many shows are even found in local shopping malls.

A baseball card features the photo of the celebrated American professional (MLB) baseball player and his statistics and history printed on the back. You can buy individual cards or sets or team-sets.

I used to collect when I was a kid, and I still keep my cards in my house. I have some cool cards --- the Sammy Sosa Upper Deck rookie card, the Bo Jackson Topps-Traded rookie card, and the Barry Bonds Topps-Traded rookie card.

Movies about sports also serve as nice 'period plates': e.g., A League of Their Own, Hotshot, Prefontaine, The Babe, etc.

New York Baseball Card Show

cards.jpg

And when you see young people start to experience success as the direct result of (very) hard work, dedication, discipline, and self-control you know a very, very important lesson has begun.

And when teachers and parents make a point of stopping by practice to say what a positive change they've seen in the kids, you know an important lesson is being learned.

PBS is more valuable than Sports.

Since PBS is now labeled as "if it's so important, let it find it's own funding"....sports should fall under the same category...."if it is so valuable, let it find it's own funding".

Signed,

Donald Trump

It's difficult to assess the millions of hours expended on sports and sport - related activities, and ascertain what other pastimes could have been more beneficial. It is not knowable.

Cheerleading? Gimmeafukkinbreak. A total waste of time and effort.

It's difficult to assess the millions of hours expended on sports and sport - related activities, and ascertain what other pastimes could have been more beneficial. It is not knowable.

Cheerleading? Gimmeafukkinbreak. A total waste of time and effort.

Why?

While cheerleading has an athletic element to it, the institution itself is built on quicksand. Nobody is inspired by cheerleaders to root more fervently for "their" team. They provide a distraction - usually a lewd, suggestive, and sexually provocative one - that does nothing more than alleviate the boredom of watching an empty field or court during interruptions in play. A well-selected musical interlude over the P.A, system could work just as well.

If all the cheerleaders stayed home, the attendance at sporting events would not be affected at all. When cheerleaders have their own competitions (and how absurd is that?) there is no one attending but parents, siblings, and close friends. And to be honest, the "best" cheerleading displays look like they were choreographed by a mad military martinet.

When I was growing up, cheerleading squads were populated by the prettiest, most popular girls in school, wearing relatively modest outfits and looking rather feminine. Not a bad thing, IMO. Nothing like today.

Forum List

Back