Sport and Education

... I think the schools (public schools) should teach kids every position on a volleyball team or a football team or a baseball team and let them learn the whole spectrum of what each discipline requires. ....

That's what happens.

Not really.

Having played sports in school, I wasn't much of a scorer when it came to basketball. We had one player who was so good at scoring they literally were never taken out of a game until the last game of the season. This player played every minute of every game up until the final game. When we were going to check into the last game after those who haven't played all season were finally allowed to play, I was asked by this player "How do you check into the game?" At that time, you had to tell the scorer the jersey number of who you were replacing on the court. They didn't know how to do that.

Needless to say that when coach was crafting last play strategy, this player's number was called whenever it mattered. We didn't always get the last shot of course and sometimes we were ahead or behind by so much, it didn't matter.

Coaches in HS shouldn't be trying to win; they should be trying to develop well rounded players.

I'm not sure I can agree with that in high school, particularly as an after-school, voluntary activity.

... I think the schools (public schools) should teach kids every position on a volleyball team or a football team or a baseball team and let them learn the whole spectrum of what each discipline requires. ....

That's what happens.

Not really.

Having played sports in school, I wasn't much of a scorer when it came to basketball. We had one player who was so good at scoring they literally were never taken out of a game until the last game of the season. This player played every minute of every game up until the final game. When we were going to check into the last game after those who haven't played all season were finally allowed to play, I was asked by this player "How do you check into the game?" At that time, you had to tell the scorer the jersey number of who you were replacing on the court. They didn't know how to do that.

Needless to say that when coach was crafting last play strategy, this player's number was called whenever it mattered. We didn't always get the last shot of course and sometimes we were ahead or behind by so much, it didn't matter.

Coaches in HS shouldn't be trying to win; they should be trying to develop well rounded players.

I'm not sure I can agree with that in high school, particularly as an after-school, voluntary activity.

Good point. It is voluntary.

Insignia Station!

I was so happy when the Chicago White Sox won the World Series, since the Sox are one of my favorite MLB teams and because Chicago is one of my favorite American cities.

In other words, I was happy for both the team AND the city.

So I can vouch for the notion that there are subtle but tangible links between competitive/athletic sports and psychology/culture.

When I see nice MLB team uniforms, I think about the pageantry of Halloween, for example.

cws.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back