Spoiling Grandkids Question..........?

A

archangel

Last month I told my grandaughter Jolene that if she could maintain her grade point avg above avg...compete in sports..pass her Drivers license test on the first try...get a job and buy a new battery for my Ford Mustang convertible and pay the insurance to add her to my policy...well I would give her the car...well she did all of the requirements...so with a tear in my eye I gave her the keys...My daughter... her mother... said I was spoiling her...what do you all think...was I wrong? :cof:

archangel said:
Last month I told my grandaughter Jolene that if she could maintain her grade point avg above avg...compete in sports..pass her Drivers license test on the first try...get a job and buy a new battery for my Ford Mustang convertible and pay the insurance to add her to my policy...well I would give her the car...well she did all of the requirements...so with a tear in my eye I gave her the keys...My daughter... her mother... said I was spoiling her...what do you all think...was I wrong? :cof:

Wow, she did all that? You must be proud, that's some girl you have there. :thewave:

Said1 said:
Wow, she did all that? You must be proud, that's some girl you have there. :thewave:

and she either wants to fly jets(military) or be a forensic scientist when she completes college...gotta love the kid..and she wants to stay a virgin until she marry's the right guy...even though she is a knock out and the guys do drool over her! :cof:

archangel said:

I have my doubts about ever giving anyone a gift worth several hundred dollars, wives excepted, and them rarely.

Also, I would have held out for no grade less than a B on the GPA.

USViking said:
I have my doubts about ever giving anyone a gift worth several hundred dollars, wives excepted, and them rarely.

Also, I would have held out for no grade less than a B on the GPA.

her gpa was 3.89 and the mustang conv is a 1993...about $5500.00 blue book.. :eek:

USViking said:
Well above average then- congratulations to her!

I still maintain that a gift that expensive is extravagant.

I rarely drove it...like my Jeep cherokee...and she deserved it...met the requirements as posted!

Archangel, you have done a wonderful thing, and I salute you for it. Kids should be able to know that, if they live up to certain standards, they will be rewarded.
My family was never much for gift-giving. Birthdays were never honored with presents. Christmas was limited. The only dates that were really important were your 18th birthday and high school and college graduation.

Archangel, if that is the further you have spoiled any of your grandkids, you are in the ultimate lower tier of the spoiling curve. Do you realize how anxious my really strict mom is to spoil her grandkids? :asshole:

Gabriella84 said:
Archangel, you have done a wonderful thing, and I salute you for it. Kids should be able to know that, if they live up to certain standards, they will be rewarded.
My family was never much for gift-giving. Birthdays were never honored with presents. Christmas was limited. The only dates that were really important were your 18th birthday and high school and college graduation.

Archangel, if that is the further you have spoiled any of your grandkids, you are in the ultimate lower tier of the spoiling curve. Do you realize how anxious my really strict mom is to spoil her grandkids? :asshole:

did not get the asshole part though!

um....what asshole part? Did I miss something?

The smiley face is an asshole? Damn, I need to star understanding those emoticons better. I thought it was just a smiley face.
Duh, forget it. I'm a blonde, ya know. :)

Gabriella84 said:
The smiley face is an asshole? Damn, I need to star understanding those emoticons better. I thought it was just a smiley face.
Duh, forget it. I'm a blonde, ya know. :)

so is my grandaughter...just food for thought!

archangel said:

I don't think you're spoiling her - you set out the requirement that she bust her ass, and she did. You taught her that everything you want in life must be worked for - it will not be handed to you on a silver platter.

archangel said:

i don't like the idea of just giving 2,000 lbs of moveable metal to someone who is inexperienced. i saw too many kids in HS just given cars, but they never had any respect for them or other drivers, because they didn't pay for it, thus they felt it was just disposable. I can't stand that attitude.

However, to me, she DID earn it, as she worked hard for everything you set for her to do, AND she will be paying her own part of the insurance, I say you are very generous-and brave! Mustangs are cop-magnets. My dad would have rather shot himself than let me even drive his brand new 1997 F150(new at the time). I saved up my money from working all summer, and bought my own car that i practiced and took my test in.

Hopefully, she will also understand what a responsibility this is, especially the type of car it is (sports car), and she will know how to take care of the basic maintenence on it. Maybe a knowledgeable family member can show her some basics (checking fluids, changing bulbs, how to change spark plugs, how to change a flat, etc), and the importance of respecting not just the road rules, but upkeep on the vehicle that is on the road. My dad showed me stuff, and what he didn't, I learned in the auto shop class in school, where in, I was the only female. But I can change my own oil, spark plugs, radiator flush/fill, bulbs, fuses, filters, belts, tires, batteries, thermostats. The only thing I won't touch, is major electrical stuff, and major engine repairs.

archangel said:

What a wonderful grandparent and role model you are. You set goals and kept your word.

As for spoiling her......isn't that one of the rewards of being a grandparent....to spoil your grandchildren. :baby4:

fuzzykitten99 said:
i don't like the idea of just giving 2,000 lbs of moveable metal to someone who is inexperienced. i saw too many kids in HS just given cars, but they never had any respect for them or other drivers, because they didn't pay for it, thus they felt it was just disposable. I can't stand that attitude.

However, to me, she DID earn it, as she worked hard for everything you set for her to do, AND she will be paying her own part of the insurance, I say you are very generous-and brave! Mustangs are cop-magnets. My dad would have rather shot himself than let me even drive his brand new 1997 F150(new at the time). I saved up my money from working all summer, and bought my own car that i practiced and took my test in.

Hopefully, she will also understand what a responsibility this is, especially the type of car it is (sports car), and she will know how to take care of the basic maintenence on it. Maybe a knowledgeable family member can show her some basics (checking fluids, changing bulbs, how to change spark plugs, how to change a flat, etc), and the importance of respecting not just the road rules, but upkeep on the vehicle that is on the road. My dad showed me stuff, and what he didn't, I learned in the auto shop class in school, where in, I was the only female. But I can change my own oil, spark plugs, radiator flush/fill, bulbs, fuses, filters, belts, tires, batteries, thermostats. The only thing I won't touch, is major electrical stuff, and major engine repairs.

she is very reponsible...learned to take care of things at a young age...took care of maintenance on her horse...still does...and yes she was taught the basic maintenance on a vehicle by me...she was the one who asked all the right questions and showed interest in performing said maintenance...as for Mustangs being "Cop" magnets...not true I was a "cop" I looked at the driving rather than the type of vehicle...and yes she is a great and safe driver!

Forum List

Back