Splunking.

They're sealing it because it's a dangerous cave. This is the only guy who died, I do believe, but they've had to risk the lives of rescue teams to save 5 other cavers, I do believe.

I've been in some very dangerous caves. Most wild caves are dangerous. I've been studying this cave on-line and it's definitely dangerous, but I still don't believe that's reason enough to close it. They just need to make sure only experienced cavers can enter the cave. Most of the time it's the young ambitious types that you have to rescue.

If you've been studying this cave online, then you would know it was only re-opened 6 months ago after several near-fatal incidents where cavers were rescued.

Before re-opening this cave, they instituted a permitting process where spelunkers or cavers were only allowed to enter if they met several conditions: 1) they were well experienced cavers, 2) were registered with the people who run the cave and obtained a permit and 3) had an experienced guide with them.

Mr. Jones met all of the qualifications, and yet he still died.

Additionally, out of deference to the family and out of respect for Mr Jones' final resting place, the owners determined it would be inappropriate to seal off only the portion where Mr Jones is entombed, and have recreational activities taking place within his final resting place. I happen to agree.

Would you want cavers crawling around your child's final resting place? You *know* if they allow anyone near where Mr. Jones is entombed, some wise-ass is going to try to get to his body, just to say they did it! It's human nature.

I personally find that reprehensible and offensive, but Mr Jones' body being disturbed is guaranteed to happen as long as there are dumbasses in this world with access to that cave.

Seal it up with cement and let the man rest in peace.

I read all that and still disagree with sealing the cave. I know here in Arkansas you can get permits to enter some very dangerous caves as long as you have at least one experienced caver with you. The guy in the story reminds me of a fellow caver who liked to live on the edge, so to speak, and try out new passages. We rescued him once after about 6 hours. He was stuck upside down like this guy in a very narrow passage. From looking at the map of Nutty Putty Cave, they could probably just seal-up the area where the caver is. Even if they couldn't do that, I've found bones in a cave, although very old, so I don't really see that problem. There are dead bodies along the route to the summit of Mt Everest and it was never closed down. In any case, the decision has been made.

BTW, the cave website has some good information. RIP, fellow caver.

The Nutty Putty Cave official website

I'm with X, people die doing dangerous things.

Should they close Mount Everest or K2 because people have died trying to climb it or because there bodies were never recovered?

As for final resting places, I told my wife to tip my body into the hog lot.

I ain't gonna be using it again, why pay to store it.

They're sealing it because it's a dangerous cave. This is the only guy who died, I do believe, but they've had to risk the lives of rescue teams to save 5 other cavers, I do believe.

I've been in some very dangerous caves. Most wild caves are dangerous. I've been studying this cave on-line and it's definitely dangerous, but I still don't believe that's reason enough to close it. They just need to make sure only experienced cavers can enter the cave. Most of the time it's the young ambitious types that you have to rescue.

If you've been studying this cave online, then you would know it was only re-opened 6 months ago after several near-fatal incidents where cavers were rescued.

Before re-opening this cave, they instituted a permitting process where spelunkers or cavers were only allowed to enter if they met several conditions: 1) they were well experienced cavers, 2) were registered with the people who run the cave and obtained a permit and 3) had an experienced guide with them.

Mr. Jones met all of the qualifications, and yet he still died.

Additionally, out of deference to the family and out of respect for Mr Jones' final resting place, the owners determined it would be inappropriate to seal off only the portion where Mr Jones is entombed, and have recreational activities taking place within his final resting place. I happen to agree.

Would you want cavers crawling around your child's final resting place? You *know* if they allow anyone near where Mr. Jones is entombed, some wise-ass is going to try to get to his body, just to say they did it! It's human nature.

I personally find that reprehensible and offensive, but Mr Jones' body being disturbed is guaranteed to happen as long as there are dumbasses in this world with access to that cave.

Seal it up with cement and let the man rest in peace.

I pretty much agree with you...

But let's not forget..one of the "sights" Everest climbers are treated to are the dead bodies of past climbers, left wherever they died.

Should they close Everest?

Probably not, since I don't think anyone is actually having fun once they get to the upper reaches.

alpine climbing..everst is the holy grail.....most do not die on the way up..they die on the way down... even with the modernization of climbing with base camp guides etc...it is dangerous....any time you enter a zone where your brain begins to die...you put yourself in peril...bodies are recovered from everest when possible...many times the family when notified that the body is found elect not to recover the bodies...they will soon be buried again...

the problem with everest is the number of people trying to climb it....the tragedy is people thing cause they can afford the fee of climbing everest ...they can get dragged to the top and back down....some of the best alpine guides have died doing that...trying to rescue people who should not have been there to begin with....

"into thin air" by jon krakauer details one of the worse year of climbing on everest...excellent account of what went wrong

Forum List

Back