Splunking.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by froggy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The medical student who died in a Utah cave was the third spelunker in recent years to get stuck in the same tiny crevice but the only one to die — an outcome that devastated the dozens of rescuers who worked for more than a day to save him.

John Jones, 26, of Stansbury Park, died early Thursday, nearly 28 hours after he got stuck in Nutty Putty Cave, a popular spelunking site south of Salt Lake City. It was the first known fatality since cavers began exploring the 1,500-foot cave's narrow passageways in the 1960s, cave access manager Michael Leavitt said.

Utah County sheriff's office Sgt. Spencer Cannon said rescuers, who numbered well above 50 at times, were shocked and deeply saddened by the outcome.

"It's a tough" situation, Cannon said. "It's not very often where you come in, you have high hopes and you are going into an operation you have done before with success and then you get into a situation where it doesn't go as you planned."

Search and rescue workers successfully pulled two people from the same spot in the 1,500-foot-long cave during the same week in 2004.

"Caving isn't generally considered to be a dangerous sport," Cannon said. "But I think you can safely say this is a dangerous spot in that cave."

Nutty Putty is now closed until a decision is made about its future, Leavitt said. Cannon said the sheriff's office wouldn't give an opinion about whether it should remain open.

Family members described Jones as an outdoors lover and experienced caver who was looking forward to the birth of his second child next year.

"He had explored many caves and maneuvered is way through many tight spaces before," the family said in a statement issued late Thursday.

For the past two years, the St. George native was attending medical school at the University of Virginia, hoping to pursue a career as a pediatric cardiologist. Jones, his wife Emily and their 13-month-old daughter had come home to Utah for the Thanksgiving holiday and to share the news that another baby is expected in June.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    The autopsy should be interesting. Exactly how did he die in only 28 hours and from what?

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    froggy, you're supposed to link, and not paste the whole article

4. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
  5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
  6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    he most likely died due to hypothermia....the temperature in the cave ....combined with his chest being compressed and the fact his head was below his feet for 28 hours...my son is a climbing guide...the company does caving or splunking...he simply refuses...says it is dangerous and uncomfie...

i feel for the family without the body...but this is something every adventurer accepts that if there is trouble ....you may not be rescued and that your body will not be recovered....mother's cry....and want the body but its the code....esp in alpining...

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I've been a few times. It's definitely not for the fainthearted. Where I go, there is a part of the cave where, not only is it a tight squeeze, you also have to go underwater to get thru to the next part of the cave. Then, you have to scramble over a rather huge bolder in the way. All done in the dark, crawling thru cold, wet mud.

It's scary but great fun. Although, last time I cracked my knee quite badly... :lol::lol:

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,731
    don't you wear a hat with a light? I visited a cave nearby that was tour guided. They stood us in the middle of a chamber and then killed all the lights. That was the darkest dark I have ever dared dark. I can see how a person could go crazy.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yep, we do but we do like to turn them off and see who cracks first.

It is total darkness - absolutely no light can filter through so your eyes can't adjust. It's fun!!

I'm a bit of an adrenalin junkie though. I jump outta planes and shit too. :lol::lol: Anything that scares me - I'm doing it.

10. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I always managed to not shit while jumping out of a plane.