Spitzer resigns in disgrace over scandal

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By VERENA DOBNIK and MICHAEL GORMLEY, Associated Press Writers
1 hour, 30 minutes ago

NEW YORK - In a startlingly swift fall from grace, Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigned Wednesday after getting caught in a call-girl scandal that made a mockery of his straight-arrow image and left him facing the prospect of criminal charges and perhaps disbarment.

I cannot allow my private failings to disrupt the people's work," Spitzer said, his weary-looking wife, Silda, standing at his side, again, as the corruption-fighting politician once known as Mr. Clean answered for his actions for the second time in three days.

He made the announcement without securing a plea bargain with federal prosecutors, though a law enforcement official said the former governor was still believed to be negotiating one. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

more ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_on_re_us/spitzer_prostitution

Good thing they nailed this sorry bastard. I say lethal injection for his sins!:eusa_eh:

NEW YORK - New details emerged Wednesday about the call girl at the center of the prostitution scandal engulfing New York's governor, with a newspaper report identifying her as a 22-year-old aspiring musician from Manhattan.

The New York Times reported that the real name of the prostitute — identified as "Kristen" in court papers alleging that Gov. Eliot Spitzer paid more than $4,000 for her services — is Ashley Alexandra Dupre.

more ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/ap_on_re_us/spitzer_call_girl

Lethal injection for her too.:evil:

AFTER I see what a $4K piece of ass looks like.:eusa_think:

Lethal injection for her too.:evil:

AFTER I see what a $4K piece of ass looks like.:eusa_think:

smallish_2330221696_ce37d333a6_o.jpg

There you go. And she was only $1k apparently. Although that may be untrue.

Spitzer has to be one of the biggest hypocrites that ever breathed. The guy needs to be slammed good.

The governorship will be nothing, if he ends up losing his family.

No sympathy from me for him. It will be the consequence of his actions. I'll reserve my sympathy for those who have or will suffer for the consequences of his actions through no fault of their own.

No sympathy from me for him. It will be the consequence of his actions. I'll reserve my sympathy for those who have or will suffer for the consequences of his actions through no fault of their own.

I agree. And the same for Craig and Villiers and the people they hurt. :eusa_wall:

Let me see if I can understand the scales of justice here:
Outing a CIA agent is really nothing.
Falsifying information to start a war is really nothing.
Cooking the books so thousands lose their pensions and savings is really nothing.
Polluting the planet is really nothing.
Cutting back on childcare is really nothing.
but having a prostitute is grounds for death.

cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo

Sorry, I seem to have blown a fuse in my moral measuring machine.

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=c5005f31-237e-4f9d-bca1-891c7aa2b7b2

"The story emerging around the fall of Eliot Spitzer suggests that the case did not start with the report of a crime. Rather it started with a decision to look into Spitzer and his financial dealings. In the course of an open-ended investigation, information about a prostitution circle surfaced. That looks abusive. An investigation like that provides no basis to acquit Spitzer. But it suggests that when his case is done, the public should be pressing some tough questions about why this investigation was launched and pushed forward."

From what I've heard, they were looking into financials, but spitzer came up during the course of the investigation.

The investigation is said to have started when a branch of the IRS responsible for reviewing reports from banks about cash transfers that could fall afoul of money-laundering prohibitions. When the accounts were linked to Spitzer, the case was transferred to the FBI. The prostitution angle showed up only after the FBI began to trace the transfers.

http://www.hedgefund.net/publicnews/default.aspx?story=8510

Spitzer had a bad habit of going after people personally... I guess it came back to bite him in the butt

In his determination to send Bruno packing, Spitzer did almost everything wrong. He was accused of using the state police to improperly obtain records on Bruno’s use of a state helicopter, and he didn’t help anything by allegedly telling a Republican lawmaker that Bruno was “an old, senile piece of shit,” especially at a time when Bruno’s wife, Bobbie, was dying of Alzheimer’s. Spitzer turned Bruno, once deemed a steward of Albany dysfunction, into a working-class underdog; in turn, the high-minded prosecutor-governor was redefined as a thuggish weenie. “He thought Bruno’s guile was easy to understand, but Bruno is defined by his ability to find creative ways to get through complicated problems,” says one source close to Spitzer. “These guys outdanced us on a lot of issues.” Until last week.

There are other things that are throwing off Bruno’s office putt. The FBI is expanding its two-year investigation of him. They dropped a new round of subpoenas on local labor unions to determine why some may have invested millions in pension money with a Connecticut firm Bruno worked for on the side, Wright Investors’ Service. Bruno insists he hasn’t done anything wrong, but he was worried that if the Feds looked long enough they could find something. “Who the hell knows if, inadvertently, there’s something there—that they uncovered, that they want to accuse you of,” he says. “That’s on my mind. I think, What the hell could they get somebody to say that I said or did? I know that’s what they try and do. They tried like hell to intimidate a couple of people.”

http://nymag.com/news/features/44755/

Spitzer offers further proof that running a State or Country is far easier than keeping one's pecker in one's pants.

Forum List

Back