Spinning Friday's News?

Can people claim unemployment from being off work for a few days to a week due to storms?

UPDATE 1-Winter storms to distort US jobless figures-Summers | Reuters

UPDATE 1-Winter storms to distort US jobless figures-Summers
Mon Mar 1, 2010 6:05pm EST
(Adds quotes on Greece, background)

WASHINGTON, March 1 (Reuters) - White House economic adviser Larry Summers said on Monday winter blizzards were likely to distort U.S. February jobless figures, which are due to be released on Friday.

"The blizzards that affected much of the country during the last month are likely to distort the statistics. So it's going to be very important ... to look past whatever the next figures are to gauge the underlying trends," Summers said in an interview with CNBC, according to a transcript....

This rightwing spin is enjoying a blizzard of popularity.

I'm amused that the same people who think the recent weather is a sure sign there's no such thing as global warming would also believe that it can't possibly be significant enough to affect unemployment.

good one.

I wonder how they will explain Oregon's numbers. We are on the pacific coast where we just don't get that kind of weather, but the unemployment numbers here are among the worst in the country.

No snow here. Actually it has been very nice since the weekend, but today is kind of cloudy. Even so, it is nice for March.

I wonder how they will explain Oregon's numbers. We are on the pacific coast where we just don't get that kind of weather, but the unemployment numbers here are among the worst in the country.

No snow here. Actually it has been very nice since the weekend, but today is kind of cloudy. Even so, it is nice for March.

'Clouds distort jobless figures'.
'Nice weather distorts jobless figures'.
'March coming in like a lion and out like a lamb distort jobless figures'.

Forum List

Back