Spike Lee's New Joint, "The BlacKkKlansman" Is A Powerful Film

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Just saw it last night. I recommend all go see it.

It's the real-life story of how a black detective, Ron Stalworth (sp), infiltrated the KKK w/the help of a white detective.

Anyone else planning on seeing it?

You're mistaken. You're thinking of Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder in "Blazing Saddles"

What's the big deal? The only members of the KKK in the last couple of decades were government informants or democrat operatives pretending to be right wing. You almost have to laugh that the stodgy old FBI still thought that the KKK was the greatest threat to society while the Jihad was learning to fly a 747..

The trailer made the movie seem like a comedy. I know it’s Spike Lee and all, but I thought the movie was going to be funny. My friend and I put it on, but we got bored about 40 min. in.

The real life story is interesting, and I had already known about it long before Lee made this movie.

Spike Lee, the man who cries about racism one day then bitches to high heaven the next because whites open stores in inner cities....

PASS

Last edited:
Just saw it last night. I recommend all go see it.

It's the real-life story of how a black detective, Ron Stalworth (sp), infiltrated the KKK w/the help of a white detective.

Anyone else planning on seeing it?
Probably not.

I wonder if Spike Lee should stay away from the race movies for awhile. I think he is still recovering from
Bamboozled. I saw that movie when I was visiting North Carolina around 2000. The theater audience was mostly white.

I understand what he was trying to do but he failed miserably and I'll tell you why.

He was showing how whites and even some blacks don't understand the terrible damage of racism and how PC can be a shield to terrible racial stereotypes.

His problem is that he is a genius filmmaker. So he made awful and racist stereotypes into funny entertainment. The irony and humor is supposed to be a black producer making something awful and losing a job he didn't want, but instead, the public not seeing the racism and enjoying something so awful not having learned a bit from the history of racism in this country.

The most horrible and racist parts of the movie are supposed to be dark humor, and they are. But they are also not only the most entertaining part of the movie, but he made them laugh out loud funny in exactly the way he didn't want.

When people were leaving the theater, you could hear some of the comments and they were NOT the comments Spike Lee would have wanted to hear.

So if Spike Lee wants to do a race movie, I sincerely hope he thinks it through first. I think this movie backfired on him and set his cause back. His other movies have been from good to great to groundbreaking. Like "Do the Right Thing". But Bamboozled? OMG!

And the worst part, I laughed out loud at Mantan, Watermelon, all the minstrel stuff, and all the racism. You couldn't not. It was expertly made. Really entertaining racism. So good in fact, the message was completely overshadowed.

I remember going to see the Klansman 1974 at the drive in -what a strange cast!
I did lust at Lola Falana -but she didn't look like a black
upload_2019-1-4_17-51-18.jpeg

The Klansman - Wikipedia

New Topics

Forum List

Back