Spike Lee is an Ass

Actually, I read several reviews. That's just the first one I ran across. I was actually hoping somebody who had seen the movie would post in order to give a little more info. So please go on.
What do you want to know? Ask and ye shall receive.

Actually, I saw it last night. It was amazing. Very sad. Very powerful. It wasn't racist, though there were some speakers who only saw it from a racial perspective (which I disagree with, btw). Ultimately, though, it was about the victims and what happened to them. And while you may (heck, will....) disagree with the politics of it, it is well-worth seeing. These are voices that should be heard because it makes the tragedy human...not political, per se.
THe first two hours had plenty of people saying that George Bush hated black folk, that he didnt' take it seriously because they were black. You can't deny the first two parts were pretty heavily based on race...

What do you want to know? Ask and ye shall receive.

I just want to know if Spike Lee exceeded my expectations by pointing out that:

Billions have already been poured into the cleanup and disaster relief.

The most heavily hit homes were mostly white.

Blanco waited 4 days to ask for help.

The famous flooded field full of perfectly good busses.

The waste of money meant to shore up the levies over the past few decades.

The crime rate in all cities that accepted mass amounts of Katrina evacuees erupted overnight and is still at an all time high.

People are suing for the right to more free handouts.

If he even mentioned any of the above, I'll be surprised. More than half and I'll be shocked. All of them and I'm likely to faint.

Actually, I saw it last night. It was amazing. Very sad. Very powerful. It wasn't racist, though there were some speakers who only saw it from a racial perspective (which I disagree with, btw). Ultimately, though, it was about the victims and what happened to them. And while you may (heck, will....) disagree with the politics of it, it is well-worth seeing. These are voices that should be heard because it makes the tragedy human...not political, per se.

Amazing???? It was a film on Katrina right? Little Spike no doubt covered the real devastation that Katrina caused in Mississippi right? Oh wait, those were white people and they weren't whining about losing the homes that they actually owned. He surely reviewed Louisiana law and the way Nagin and Blanco prevented the Red Cross from going to the Superdome almost immediately after the flood waters hit New Orleans? Did he show the mostly white Coast Guard crews risking their own lives picking thousands of black people from roof tops? How about those wonderful black police officers seen looting stores, surely he included footage of that. How about the black former N.O. cop that was caught in a traffic stop driving a stolen Escalade in Houston(from a N.O. dealership of course)? Did he mention the lawsuits brought on by the Sierra Club against the Army Corp. of Engineers who were trying to use federal funds to expand the levee system to try to prevent just what happened? How about the 250 million dollars spent the year before on the luxury boxes in the superdome, wouldn't want to actually stock the place with emergency provisions for the flooding that everyone has known was coming for as long as I can remember. Really Jili, amazing? You are obviously very easily amazed, must have voted for Kerry in the last election.

I just want to know if Spike Lee exceeded my expectations by pointing out that:
You answers (delayed, due to the holiday)
Billions have already been poured into the cleanup and disaster relief.
It was mentioned, but more so to point out how it was mismanaged.
The most heavily hit homes were mostly white.
It said the most heavily hit homes were in Mississippi, but I don't believe mentioned they were white... if they did it was only in complaining that the other states received much better help than New Orleans.
Blanco waited 4 days to ask for help.
Nope.
The famous flooded field full of perfectly good busses.
Nope. Which is a major free pass.
The waste of money meant to shore up the levies over the past few decades.
The general consensus was that not enough attention was given to the levies. There was no mention as to money appropriated for them in the past decades.
The crime rate in all cities that accepted mass amounts of Katrina evacuees erupted overnight and is still at an all time high.
Talked quite a bit about this. Also talked about how people realized they could have it better in other parts of the country. Even showed a black woman move to Utah into a house provided to her by a very white community. Showed the white community all meeting at her house "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"-style and how touched she was. Made no issue of the white folk accepting the black folk, however.
People are suing for the right to more free handouts.
No mention.
If he even mentioned any of the above, I'll be surprised. More than half and I'll be shocked. All of them and I'm likely to faint.
At least you didn't faint!

Amazing???? It was a film on Katrina right?
I will try and answer for you too, not that I expect you actually care...
Little Spike no doubt covered the real devastation that Katrina caused in Mississippi right?
He did, actually. Not to the extent that he covered New Orleans, however.
Oh wait, those were white people and they weren't whining about losing the homes that they actually owned.
Actually he had multiple white people "whining" about losing their homes.
He surely reviewed Louisiana law and the way Nagin and Blanco prevented the Red Cross from going to the Superdome almost immediately after the flood waters hit New Orleans?
Nope.
Did he show the mostly white Coast Guard crews risking their own lives picking thousands of black people from roof tops?
Yes. He made an explicit point that the Coast Guard did an admirable job.
How about those wonderful black police officers seen looting stores, surely he included footage of that.
Yes. Including the famous cops looting on camera in front of a reporter.
How about the black former N.O. cop that was caught in a traffic stop driving a stolen Escalade in Houston(from a N.O. dealership of course)?
Nope.
Did he mention the lawsuits brought on by the Sierra Club against the Army Corp. of Engineers who were trying to use federal funds to expand the levee system to try to prevent just what happened?
I'm not sure if he talked about the lawsuits or not...
How about the 250 million dollars spent the year before on the luxury boxes in the superdome, wouldn't want to actually stock the place with emergency provisions for the flooding that everyone has known was coming for as long as I can remember.
Are you kidding? What a stretch.
Really Jili, amazing? You are obviously very easily amazed, must have voted for Kerry in the last election.
I'll agree, I wouldn't say it was "Amazing"... but I'd recommend you watch it before you run your mouth off with assumptions.

I will try and answer for you too, not that I expect you actually care...He did, actually. Not to the extent that he covered New Orleans, however.Actually he had multiple white people "whining" about losing their homes.Nope.Yes. He made an explicit point that the Coast Guard did an admirable job.Yes. Including the famous cops looting on camera in front of a reporter.Nope.I'm not sure if he talked about the lawsuits or not...Are you kidding? What a stretch.I'll agree, I wouldn't say it was "Amazing"... but I'd recommend you watch it before you run your mouth off with assumptions.

Hey Clay,
If you want to waste four hours watching history filtered through that asshole's lens, enjoy. I don't need to know how Spike Lee portrays what happened, I know what happened. Unfortunately, I live close enough that we have been graced with 150,000 of the worthless garbage that leaked out of that dump. As much as Nagin wants it to be a chocolate city again they will have to build homes and provide "money for nothing" to get them back.

Hurricanes are nothing new to Louisiana, neither is the incredibly silly idea that you can keep New Orleans from flooding, they have been living on borrowed time for decades. Nothing will change, no matter how much Federal taxpayer dollars are flushed down that toilet.

Hey Clay,
If you want to waste four hours watching history filtered through that asshole's lens, enjoy. I don't need to know how Spike Lee portrays what happened, I know what happened. Unfortunately, I live close enough that we have been graced with 150,000 of the worthless garbage that leaked out of that dump. As much as Nagin wants it to be a chocolate city again they will have to build homes and provide "money for nothing" to get them back.

Hurricanes are nothing new to Louisiana, neither is the incredibly silly idea that you can keep New Orleans from flooding, they have been living on borrowed time for decades. Nothing will change, no matter how much Federal taxpayer dollars are flushed down that toilet.
Point. Missed. You.

Forum List

Back