Spicer Threatens the Free Press

The question of the hour is : Will spicer pursue legal action?

It is extremely difficult for a public figure even one who is now a private citizen to win a defamation case.

I imagine he is conferring with legal experts regarding whether or not he should pursue legal action. With the latest development of the claim made he used the n-word now being exposed for what it is....at best a trick.

I think he perhaps has a chance of winning a lawsuit...but I am no legal expert. But even if he loses he would be able to demonstrate how the media spreads fake news stories.

That would be huge, huge yes I say huge!!!

Cheeses, whatta piece o' work..........

So the AP didn't take the fake story and run with it, or what?

It looks to me like they did:

As I already said: Propaganda like dog poo.

Black man accuses Sean Spicer of hurling racial slur at him

That's the AP job. To funnel all the weird and sketchy to the public. They don't do investigative reporting. That's not their job. BUT -- they must also suffer from nose dysfunction on occasions like this when they can't smell an obvious hit job.

Most of the other sources that Pogo quoted DID question the veracity of the reporting. That's WHY we have a split "3rd Estate" of American journalism today. And nobody should be disregarding EITHER SIDE of the split in two media establishment at the moment.

Just to hammer this in one more time --- there isn't any question about the veracity. It's on video. You can't contend that what's clearly on video did not happen. And that's what Bowie was demanding.

That's not the issue. What's on video is also a lot of reality TV shows, staged wrestling, and bad humor. Just because it HAPPENED does not make it news.

Agree. But it does make it true. Whether it qualifies as "news" would be a value judgment. And again I submit that Bowie with his heavyhanded overreaction is the guy who made it into "news". That's the only reason I ever put this thread here in the first place.

So if the incident is true --- and it is, as it's on video --- who has the right to suppress it?

That's the entire crux of the matter here.

And the Newport paper showed NO INTEREST in their story to PROVIDE any journalism to go with it. That video is in the same class of McDonalds' customer beat-downs, and stupid criminal acts. There is NO veracity to a raw video without context. Hardly ever. You'll never convince people about ANY fact with a mere confrontation like that. And it SHOULD NOT BE PROMOTED as news unless the reporters PROVIDE some context.

All the context is there, though there isn't much. WHO did WHAT, WHEN and WHERE did they do it. All covered, with reactions from the receiving side. No conclusions were made about anybody's veracity of accusing or denying; that isn't the story. The story is simply that the man walked in and said what he said, end of said story. It ain't their job to then go back and find out if what he accused is true or not; they did identify who the man was, and on followup interviewed third parties (as I posted) to confirm or deny. But in the moment the story is "man walks in, says X". There's no point in making it more complex than that, since that's all that was claimed -- "man walks in, says X". No further claim is laid beyond that.

Now had some news outlet titled their story "Spicer hurled racial slur at prep school", that would be making an accusation; it would be assuming facts not in evidence. Simply reporting that some guy SAID that --- isn't.

I get the distinct impression that several wags here can't discern the difference between "X happened" and "man claims X happened".

First of all what you are ignoring is the Journalism code of ethics.....Journalism ethics and standards - Wikipedia

Wherein it states:
'While various existing codes have some differences, most share common elements including the principles of truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, impartiality, fairness, and public accountability, as these apply to the acquisition of newsworthy information and its subsequent dissemination to the public.

Like many broader ethical systems, journalism ethics include the principle of "limitation of harm". This often involves the withholding of certain details from reports such as the names of minor children, crime victims' names or information not materially related to particular news reports release of which might, for example, harm someone's reputation.'

We already *DID* that code of ethics, point-by-point, days ago, to which you had no response whatsoever.

Now you're actually sitting on this board trying to claim Sean Spicer, a former POTUS press secretary --- is a fucking "minor child"?

There is nothing, absolutely nothing that can harm someone's reputation (especially someone involved in politics)as to be accused of using the N-word. That cannot be over-emphasized. Yet you seem unable to wrap your head around that.

Perhaps that's why Lombard shouted it.
.---- AND?
That's got what to do with anybody reporting the incident?

Suppose one of those bystanders at the bookstore --- those other people clearly visible in the video --- related the story to his/her friends? Maybe put it on Facebook? Should they be "SUED" for relating a real thing that really happened?

My question to you is why? It is not complicated and there is no reason anyone of just common intelligence cannot understand that. Yet, you consistently want to either ignore that or deny it.

"Why" what? Why did Lombard say it? Perhaps for the reason you just posted. Perhaps because it's a real event. Perhaps both, perhaps one and not the other. I wouldn't know, that's not my concern and it's NEVER been my concern. Go back and read POST NUMBER ONE and it just might dawn on you. Go check what forum this thread is in while you're at it.

Also you consistently claim that it is not the AP's fault the video was dissiminated around the world...you want to only blame the Hartford Connecticut source.

There is no "Hartford Connecticut source", nor did I 'blame' anybody for anything outside of Bowie, the lawyer-boy.

There is a Newport Rhode Island source (not even the same state) and I simply told you where the video is after YOU maintained the AP put it out and I proved you wrong about that too.

Seriously, you're proposing to wax eloquent on finer points of journalism when you can't even follow the difference between "Hartford Connecticut" and "Newport Rhode Island" and are willing to lie about what's on a website?

See the "dissemination" part covered below.

By the way, it's no contest. Having been to both trust me, if given a choice you'd absolutely rather be in Newport. Hartford is what I call the Boil on New England's Bum.

.Now they may be the most culpable of all but when a huge media outlet takes a video that will undoubtedly harm someone's reputation(Spicer) and helps to dissiminate it all over the land...they are also culpable, maybe even more so because hey have such a wide audience. So again the key words here being 'dissimination' and hurtful material.

Once AGAIN --- and you're deliberately avoiding this --- the accusation comes from Lombard. It does not come from the AP. It does not come from NewportRI.com. It does not come from "Duh Media". It comes from one guy who walks into a room. The messenger reporting that that guy walked in and said shit IS NOT THE ORIGINATOR OF THAT MESSAGE. They are what we call the "MESSENGER".

So once AGAIN we're back to the fact that YOU, and Bowie, and your ilk, simply don't want anybody to know that that guy walked in and said shit. Which has been the point here from, again, Post Number One -- suppression of the news.

Let's say there's a news story where Joe Bloggs crashes his car into a wall. The AP (or anybody) reports that "Joe Bloggs crashed his car into a wall". In your tiny little mind does that mean the AP caused the accident? If the accident was fatal did the AP "kill" him? You seem to want to pretend to have an abject inability to figure out who's doing the acting.

:banghead:

And once again --- the AP is a clearinghouse --- it doesn't write stories, it doesn't send reporters.it doesn't publish a newspaper. It POOLS stories reported by others. The word you're flailing for is disseminate, meaning to distribute, and that would be done by whatever entities that actually ARE news outlets, that do have TV stations or newspapers etc, choose to run. All the AP does is collect them into one place, where they sit to get picked or not. If nobody chooses to run a particular story-- it doesn't get "disseminated".

For example I got the story from TheHill.com. They in turn got it from AP, which in turn got it from the originating source, NewportRI.com.

In that instance TheHill is 'disseminating' it, and again I could have read the story or skipped it as uninteresting. And as already excruciatingly noted I would have completely passed on the story as meaningless except for the antics of Bowie-boy who wants to CONTROL THE NEWS. And if there's any lingering doubt that's what he's doing, look at the fact that he said nothing about the Newport originating source and targeted the pooling resource from which TheHill and the other sources pulled it.

Newport originated the story; AP pooled it. Yet Bowie-boy goes after the pool, not the originator. CLEARLY his concern is not with the content of the story --- "man walks in, says shit" --- but with how many people will find out about it. And that's controlling the news, plain and starkly simple.

Hence this thread about the First Amendment.

You also mentioned in one of your posts that the AP checked the veracity of the story....the story being a black man accusing Spicer of using the N-word. They absolutely failed to try and research whether there was any truth to the claim or even any probability of the claim. They obviously were so eager to dissiminate the claim of Spicer using the n-word they would not be slowed down or inhibitied by checking to see if there was any truth to it.

Once AGAIN -- That isn't part of the story. That's for Lombard to substantiate if he can. The story is, "man walks in, says shit". That's ALL there is. Whether the accusation is real or whether it's entirely made up has no bearing on the fact that Lombard said it. The investigation, if needed, into whether a claim can be substantiated would be, and already is, in the story's FOLLOWUP. In the moment of the action (which is the accusation in 2018 and not whatever happened 30 years ago) there's no evidence indicating either way. Lombard didn't provide any.

Holy SHIT you're dense.

You want to twist and turn it into an event of Spicer trying to muzzle a free press. Absolutely outrageous! Spicer's only problem with the video was that it included the segment where the black man made the claim he had used the n-word.

That's the whole story, Dumbass. If you don't include the content of what Lombard said --- there IS no story. What, you think "at a book signing today a man walked in and said he'd been a classmate of Spicer's and Spicer greeted him with "oh hey, how ya doing" is a story?

I didn't want to turn a meaningless exchange into a story of muzzling a free press--- Bowie Boy did that. That's the only reason we're here.

You just proved my point. You want the news sanitized so that it won't disturb your sensibilities. Time to grow a pair Sprinkles. The news is not always unicorns and cake frosting, K? Might want to get out to K-Mart and ask them what aisle the Big Boy Pants are in.

Then you post long posts full of irrelevant garbage attempting to camouflage the hurtful nature of the story or the claim made that Spicer used the N word.

You even had the audaicity to post the AP page with a link that was directly linked to the video...and you made the specious claim they were just linking to the source of the story The Newport Daily News.

They did EXACTLY that. Prove me wrong. Show us a screenshot of the AP page with a video on it.

Lying yet again.

Obviously you did not even know that the AP link brought up the video.

It doesn't. And I demonstrated that. And you're STILL sitting here lying about it.

The AP report, published Saturday, documented an incident at Spicer’s book signing in Middletown, R.I., on Friday during which a black man claiming to be a former classmate of Spicer’s at Portsmouth Abbey School accused Spicer of using a racial slur.

You posted the AP page in post # l64 but since i brought your attention to it....you deleted it. That means you understood you made a mistake by posting the AP Page.

BULLSHIT. I "deleted" NOTHING. I put the AP story in POST NUMBER ONE and it's still there now, and it will continue to stay there..

STILL lying.

You are simply trying to cover your tracks and stubbornly refuse to admit the AP, whilst not the only bad guy in this controversy it is the biggest bad guy due to their huge organization with the ability to spread any item all over the world if they so desire. And, obviously they did. If the AP had not picked up on the Newport daily news item...it would never have been heard of most likely...certainly not to the extent that it has been.

And now you're RE-confirming what I just noted above --- that your concern is not with "what happened" but with "how many people will find out about it". That means you're trying to COVER IT UP. Your own words here, jagoff.

Here is the AP report you posted then deleted. Black man accuses Sean Spicer of hurling racial slur at him

Here is the link included in the AP report that linkes directly to the Video....A Newport Daily News video

That's the same link I posted in POST NUMBER ONE, Stupid. And again last night to prove the video isn't in it. Same thing, hasn't changed. It's been here the entire time.

Yet, you claim the AP was merely showing the source of the video....yes they showed the source but at the same time they helped dissiminate the video. That cannot be honestly denied.

And once AGAIN you re-confirm that your concern is with a coverup.

I've been noting this for FOUR DAYS. And you won't admit it.

I am a tad late with this post because for some 'mysterious' reason I was cut off last night during the final pages of the thread. I was not allow to quote or reply. hmmmmmmm I wonder why...just a glitch maybe? perhaps?

Probably the nurse brought your meds at that point.

Then their gripe is with Mr. Lombard. He's the one who made the accusation. All AP did was report that he did so. Which is also what NewportRI.com did originally, which is also what The Blaze and the Moonie Times and various other sources also reported. There can be no dispute that Lombard made that accusation. Once again--- it's recorded, and eyewitnessed.

That should have been Spicer's target too -- Lombard. What's interesting about this --- and really the only thing interesting about this --- is that they chose to go after the media messenger instead of the actual accusant. Which, in turn, tells us what their real agenda is here, and that is suppressing the news.

Get it yet?

dogespin.gif

The question of the hour is : Will spicer pursue legal action?

It is extremely difficult for a public figure even one who is now a private citizen to win a defamation case.

That's up to him but if he pursues it the slander case would be against Lombard. Because he is the accuser.

What Bowie-Boy was intimating was that he would target the AP for daring to pass it on.

Which is, for the 7629th time, suppressing the news.
And that's why all of this is a story at all, try as you may to deflect it. You don't get to fuck with my First Amendment.

I imagine he is conferring with legal experts regarding whether or not he should pursue legal action. With the latest development of the claim made he used the n-word now being exposed for what it is....at best a trick.

Oh really. Come up with a credible source yet?

I think he perhaps has a chance of winning a lawsuit...but I am no legal expert. But even if he loses he would be able to demonstrate how the media spreads fake news stories.

Once AGAIN you can't deny what's clearly RECORDED ON VIDEO.

Unless you're about to propose that the people in that video are all actors and Sean Spicer wasn't even there. You can't just sit on your ass and declare that what was videotaped, eyewitnessed and responded to, DIDN'T HAPPEN. That's self-delusion.

That would be huge, huge yes I say huge!!!

Thank you for not saying "Yuge".

Then their gripe is with Mr. Lombard. He's the one who made the accusation. All AP did was report that he did so. Which is also what NewportRI.com did originally, which is also what The Blaze and the Moonie Times and various other sources also reported. There can be no dispute that Lombard made that accusation. Once again--- it's recorded, and eyewitnessed.

That should have been Spicer's target too -- Lombard. What's interesting about this --- and really the only thing interesting about this --- is that they chose to go after the media messenger instead of the actual accusant. Which, in turn, tells us what their real agenda is here, and that is suppressing the news.

Get it yet?

View attachment 208299

Thank you for putting femtoseconds of work into a deep, incisive analysis of the salient points.

Profound. My head swims.

Forum List

Back