Sperm donor to lesbian couple ordered to pay child support

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
He is the father but this sort of thing will scare off all sperm donors everywhere.

FOX News - Top Stories - 'DAD' FIGHTS BACK: Sperm Donor to Battle Order to Pay Child Support

'Dec 31, 2012 1:28 PM EST
A Kansas sperm donor who was ordered to pay child support for the baby he helped a lesbian couple conceive plans to fight back in court, and suggested he might be a victim of bias against same-sex parenting.

William Marotta told FoxNews.com he might never have agreed to provide sperm to Angela Bauer and her former partner, Jennifer Schreiner, had he known the legal morass that awaited him after responding to the women's Craigslist ad for a donor in March 2009. The Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) recently filed a child support claim against Marotta after the couple filed for state assistance this year, leading the department to demand they provide the donor's name so it could collect.

The 46-year-old machinist said he received notice in late October that he was being targeted by state officials to pay child support after the couple who parted ways in 2010 but still co-parent their eight children ranging in age from 3 months to 25 years were ordered by DCF officials to provide the sperm donor's name. State officials argued that if the women did not identify the donor, the agency would deny health benefits due to withheld information.

he should have gotten the legal protection at the time.

That is the lesson here.

Since Kansas does not recognize same-sex marriage, the women had to file each adoption as a single parent. That law also prevents the state from collecting child support from same-sex partners, despite Bauer's assumption of financial responsibility for her daughter. Bauer characterized the latest development in the case as a "step backward" in the fight for marriage equality.

I laugh at the idiotic rednecks of Kansas.

That is the lesson here.

Why should he need legal protection? If he has to pay child support can he sue for custody? The state has both parents of the child available, they just want to force him to pay because they are using laws based on 19th century thinking.

Since Kansas does not recognize same-sex marriage, the women had to file each adoption as a single parent. That law also prevents the state from collecting child support from same-sex partners, despite Bauer's assumption of financial responsibility for her daughter. Bauer characterized the latest development in the case as a "step backward" in the fight for marriage equality.
I laugh at the idiotic rednecks of Kansas.

Because that would never happen in California.

FYI, the only time a sperm donor is legally protected from being sued for child support is if he is anonymous and uses an agency that freezes his sperm for 6 months.

That is the lesson here.

Why should he need legal protection? If he has to pay child support can he sue for custody? The state has both parents of the child available, they just want to force him to pay because they are using laws based on 19th century thinking.

I'm not sure whether he can sue for custody. The article says he gave up all parental rights. Being forced to pay child support might be a game changer, though.

That is the lesson here.

Read, you moron. He and the couple had a signed agreement in which he gave up custody and they gave up claims for future support. The state is ignoring this agreement.

That is the lesson here.

I'm not sure whether he can sue for custody. The article says he gave up all parental rights. Being forced to pay child support might be a game changer, though.

Giving up parental RIGHTS does not mean that parental RESPONSIBILITIES are also relinquished.

That is the lesson here.

Read, you moron. He and the couple had a signed agreement in which he gave up custody and they gave up claims for future support. The state is ignoring this agreement.

The agreement is invalid. A person cannot give away the rights of another. A child has a right to support from parents that are totally independent of the rights of the parent and can not be negotiated or contracted away.

That is the lesson here.

I would think that giving up parental rights means not having to pay child support, which is the whole point of adoption.

Giving up parental RIGHTS does not mean that parental RESPONSIBILITIES are also relinquished.

I used to have a friend that was going to sign over his rights cause he could not afford his child support. His mom started making his payments so he would not have to do that. IDK about in other states, but apparently in TN, it does

That explains why states are always going after birth parents for child support when the adoptive parents fall on hard times.

Wait...

That is the lesson here.

The agreement is invalid. A person cannot give away the rights of another. A child has a right to support from parents that are totally independent of the rights of the parent and can not be negotiated or contracted away.

The agreement is only invalid if the state wins the court battle.

That is the lesson here.

If the state is pursuing child support from him it's because the kids' lesbian mommies are on welfare.

Dumbasses. Yet another example of the costs of depravity. Poor kid.

That is the lesson here.

If the state is pursuing child support from him it's because the kids' lesbian mommies are on welfare.

Why would they allow them the option if they are on welfare? That seems absolutely ridiculous

I would think that giving up parental rights means not having to pay child support, which is the whole point of adoption.

Not at all. In adoption a third party steps foward and agrees to be responsible for the child and that the child in all respects will be legally theirs. Think of it as a novation.

If the marriage between a biological mother and adoptive father breaks down, the court does not go back to the biological father, but the adoptive father who must now pay child support.

Why would they allow them the option if they are on welfare? That seems absolutely ridiculous

One mother is a stay at home mom, the other works and supports the family. However, the one who is the bread winner is seriously ill and hasnt been able to work. They were only asking the state for health coverage for the baby.

That was my understanding, too.

Forum List

Back