Spending to GDP Less than Under Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, JFK & Ike

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
fyi

fredgraph.png

Who cares? We have a $14 trillion+ national debt and it keeps growing. I don't care about statistics, I want action. CUT SPENDING.

I asked you first..:lol:

its telling us spending to gdp in % is lower than the historical average...what happy days? we are on a clear fiscally sound course, what? does this include spending built in btw?Is this in real dollars of fed revenue, outside deficit spending?

Last edited:
Taxes under Eisenhower were above 90% for the richest Americans. Thanks for pointing that out.

This economy is what happens when you throw money at rich people.

I asked you first..:lol:

its telling us spending to gdp in % is lower than the historical average...what happy days? we are on a clear fiscally sound course, what? does this include spending built in btw?Is this in real dollars of fed revenue, outside deficit spending?

What it tells me is that the American economy has had the capacity to spend a greater share on government programs in the past. True, defense was a bigger share of the economy in the 50s and 60s, but nonetheless, government spending played a bigger role then than it does now. My guess is that most people would think the opposite, given the tone of the debate. It doesn't mean we should have more government spending but per capita growth grew at a pretty constant rate from 1945 to 2006 no matter what the level of taxes or government spending.

Taxes under Eisenhower were above 90% for the richest Americans. Thanks for pointing that out.

This economy is what happens when you throw money at rich people.

In spite of that obscene tax rate - the feds still only collected around 18% of GDP during that era. That's about the same they averaged under the Bush rates. What does that tell you??

Receipts-by-Percentage-of-GDP.jpg

This reminds me of how the Warmers point to some weather event on the planet and say "See that! Global Warming!!" Whats the point of the chart? See that! We can have Mo' n Bigga Deficits! So we need a deficit bigger than $1.6 Trillion? What $2 Trillion? $3 Trillion?

This reminds me of how the Warmers point to some weather event on the planet and say "See that! Global Warming!!" Whats the point of the chart? See that! We can have Mo' n Bigga Deficits! So we need a deficit bigger than $1.6 Trillion? What $2 Trillion? $3 Trillion?

Really? Really? That's what you get from this chart?

Gee, maybe I shouldn't scoff at rdean's 6% thing.

Really? Really? That's what you get from this chart?

Gee, maybe I shouldn't scoff at rdean's 6% thing.

What's your point, that we can sustain more spending and bigger deficits because we're a few tick below some meaningless statistic?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back