Spending Cuts could weaken the economy further

What's amusing to me is that liberals had two years with control of the House, Senate and Oval Office and they STILL blame conservatives for the economy being bad. So what did you progressives DO during that two year span to improve the economy? I'll tell you what you did...you passed a stimulus plan that wasted a trillion and a half dollars keeping government workers employed while it ignored the private sector...and you passed Obama Care...another entitlement program that will cost us trillions at a time when we can't afford to pay for the entitlement programs that we already had. That's it, kiddies!!! That's what you accomplished with your super majorities. So now the American people voted in the midterms OVERWHELMINGLY to limit your power and you want to accuse Republicans for "sabotaging" the economy so B.O. won't get reelected? You've GOT to be kidding! If Barack and his band of merry progressives had the slightest idea of what they were doing, our economy would be growing again. Instead we're still mired in a recession and people like Larry Summers and Christina Romer have tucked tail and run back to Harvard and Berkeley before they embarrassed themselves any further.

Here's an idea...how about we elect a President that has a clue?

yeah well your president has pissed away trillions of tax payer dollars and still the economy is getting weaker and weaker. so you can stuff that theory where the moon don't shine.

The economy is getting weaker coinciding with the stimulus funding coming to an end.

the stimulus was not marketed as an interim thing...it was marketed as a "spark".....

Of course if you poump a half a trrillion dollars into the marketplace, it will allow for positive signs...

No one ever doubted that.

But if it is only a "stop gap" it is not worth it as it will stunt actual growth....and THAT is what the right was saying all along...

And I am glad to see you are admitting such is true.

So if pumping half a trillion INTO the economy can produce 'positive signs', then, obviously taking half a trillion OUT of the economy can produce 'negative signs'.

I think that was the point of the OP.

What's amusing to me is that liberals had two years with control of the House, Senate and Oval Office and they STILL blame conservatives for the economy being bad. So what did you progressives DO during that two year span to improve the economy? I'll tell you what you did...you passed a stimulus plan that wasted a trillion and a half dollars keeping government workers employed while it ignored the private sector...and you passed Obama Care...another entitlement program that will cost us trillions at a time when we can't afford to pay for the entitlement programs that we already had. That's it, kiddies!!! That's what you accomplished with your super majorities. So now the American people voted in the midterms OVERWHELMINGLY to limit your power and you want to accuse Republicans for "sabotaging" the economy so B.O. won't get reelected? You've GOT to be kidding! If Barack and his band of merry progressives had the slightest idea of what they were doing, our economy would be growing again. Instead we're still mired in a recession and people like Larry Summers and Christina Romer have tucked tail and run back to Harvard and Berkeley before they embarrassed themselves any further.

What was the right thing to do in January of 2009?

If the government is capable of controlling the business cycle, why do we EVER have recessions?

I thought you were well educated in economics. I mean, you post much about what is right and what is wrong with the economy. You post much criticism of business owners and how their actions kill the economy.

Yet you ask the most basic of questions...and the question itself shows how one is naive as it pertains to basic micro economics.

Do you truly not klnow the answer to that question?...or was that a rhetorical question.

I will post my answer...but ZI first want to know what your motive is.

But I will say this....no one....NO ONE....on the left OR the right will dispute my answer...as all economists know what causes cyclical recessions and why they are not preventable.

Because you said this:

If the economy continues to weaken, the blame will go to the senate (democrats), the house (republicans) and the President....sort of where the blame should have gone for the last 10 years with the exception of the year plus when there was a democratic majority in both houses AND the white house

By stating where you believe the blame should have gone - for our 'economic woes' - on the GOVERNMENT,

you're operating from the premise that government can prevent economic woes, presumably a recession being one of those woes.

I apologize......I assumed you understood the difference between a recession and what we have experienced.

In 2007 to 2008, we experienced a typical cyclical recession that was caused by normal and expected market saturation. Such recessions last anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

However, due to government intervention in the ledning industry, the recession was exasperrated by the housing bubble issue.

Then, to make matters worse, the presieential campaign INAPPRORPIATELY played on the recession....scaring the people...and giving people reason to "save" and not spend....including business owners. (I had no issue with the candidates campaigning about the housing bubble...that was caused by policy....but the recession was not).

Then, with majorities in both houses, the dems made things even worse with their "pay back" stimulus plan.

I hope that clears things up for ya

Go play golf for four years.

The economy is getting weaker coinciding with the stimulus funding coming to an end.

the stimulus was not marketed as an interim thing...it was marketed as a "spark".....

Of course if you poump a half a trrillion dollars into the marketplace, it will allow for positive signs...

No one ever doubted that.

But if it is only a "stop gap" it is not worth it as it will stunt actual growth....and THAT is what the right was saying all along...

And I am glad to see you are admitting such is true.

So if pumping half a trillion INTO the economy can produce 'positive signs', then, obviously taking half a trillion OUT of the economy can produce 'negative signs'.

I think that was the point of the OP.

I agree...and I disagree....

I agree:

Taking a half a trillion out will cause negative signs

I disagree:

The point of the OP was to say that the GOP wants negative signs for political expediency...not to say that there will be negative signs.

And in closing...

Yes, of course there will be negative signs in the short run....and it will now take us 6-18 months to recover seeing as we were never given a chance to recover from the recession.....but in the meantime, we had no chouice but to cut spending. We are ion debt up to our ears. We need to stop spending.

Politicians aren't allowed to administer bitter pills. The People won't let them. They will fire them, D or R, at the next available opportunity. If Obama and the Democrats in 2009 had said we can't afford a near trillion dollar stimulus, we can't afford to try to smooth out this dip, we're just going to sit back and let it play out,

they would have lost 100 seats AND the Senate in 2010, and every Republican in the country would have run against the do-nothingness of the Democrats.

Nope...the right does not blame Obama for everything.

The right blames two things on the left that have added to our woes..

The stiumulus
The new healthcare law.

And both were pushed through when both houses were democratic majorities.....along with a democratiic white house

really? are you serious?

100%

Anyone who knows anything about how our legislative process works is well aware that the President has very little control....unles there is a majority in his favor in BOTH houses.

Although, I will admit that the left seemed to forget that they had a majority for 4 years....2 with Bush and 2 with Obama....yet Bush got blamed for everything.

How is life on mars?.....come on do I reallt need to post comments fron the rightwing blaming Obama for everthing from killing the space program to communist indoctrination of school children?

Last edited:

Let the economy reset.
Many of us.....NOT JUST THE RICH......enjoyed the fruits of a false economy....people who couldnt afford homes, got to buy themn anyway...people who couldnt afford minor luxuries via their credit cards, got to enjoy them when they shouldnt have.

So all of us should have suffered the pain for our actions...and let the economy reset.........BY ITSELF.

Funny thing....when people were re-fi ing and taking cash out I did not hear any opf them complaining that they have money they shouldnt have....

But the minute it went bad? They want government to help them out.

really? are you serious?

100%

Anyone who knows anything about how our legislative process works is well aware that the President has very little control....unles there is a majority in his favor in BOTH houses.

Although, I will admit that the left seemed to forget that they had a majority for 4 years....2 with Bush and 2 with Obama....yet Bush got blamed for everything.

How is life on mars?.....come on do I reallt need to post comments fron the rightwing blaming Obama foe everthing from killing the space program to communist indoctrination of school children?

Im sorry...I thought we were talking about economic policy.

lol...sure Obama gets the blame for lots of things he shouldnt....just as Bush did, and Clinton, and reagan, and Bush 1 and so on and so on.

I thought we were talking about policy enacted by legislation.

Politicians aren't allowed to administer bitter pills. The People won't let them. They will fire them, D or R, at the next available opportunity. If Obama and the Democrats in 2009 had said we can't afford a near trillion dollar stimulus, we can't afford to try to smooth out this dip, we're just going to sit back and let it play out,
Or, maybe you and your economic arsonists could just get the hell out of the way, and quit pretending that you're the ones best suited to put out the fire.

they would have lost 100 seats AND the Senate in 2010, and every Republican in the country would have run against the do-nothingness of the Democrats.

So what you are saying is trhat you and I are not far apart.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle are forced to do things that may not be in the best interest of the economy out of fear of how the other side will spin their intentions.

And I agree......the dems would have been called the "do nothings" just as the GOP WAS called the party of no.

And the beat goes on......

100%

How is life on mars?.....come on do I reallt need to post comments fron the rightwing blaming Obama foe everthing from killing the space program to communist indoctrination of school children?

Im sorry...I thought we were talking about economic policy.

lol...sure Obama gets the blame for lots of things he shouldnt....just as Bush did, and Clinton, and reagan, and Bush 1 and so on and so on.

I thought we were talking about policy enacted by legislation.

Doesn't the right wing blame Obama(his economic policy) for the national debt?

Spending cuts could face headwinds this year: a weak economy - USATODAY.com

Isn't that the whole GOP mission? If they can weaken the economy enough, then they can get rid of Obama in 2012, right? I guess the GOP did win. But the US economy is the big loser.

This is how stupid and wrong Libs are on economics. We overspend by $1.4Trillion, have 9% UE and a crappy economy...and they want us to spend more

theodoric-of-york_500x375.jpg

You'll feel better after a good bleeding.

But I'm already bleeding.

Say, who's the doctor here?

I thought you were well educated in economics. I mean, you post much about what is right and what is wrong with the economy. You post much criticism of business owners and how their actions kill the economy.

Yet you ask the most basic of questions...and the question itself shows how one is naive as it pertains to basic micro economics.

Do you truly not klnow the answer to that question?...or was that a rhetorical question.

I will post my answer...but ZI first want to know what your motive is.

But I will say this....no one....NO ONE....on the left OR the right will dispute my answer...as all economists know what causes cyclical recessions and why they are not preventable.

Because you said this:

If the economy continues to weaken, the blame will go to the senate (democrats), the house (republicans) and the President....sort of where the blame should have gone for the last 10 years with the exception of the year plus when there was a democratic majority in both houses AND the white house

By stating where you believe the blame should have gone - for our 'economic woes' - on the GOVERNMENT,

you're operating from the premise that government can prevent economic woes, presumably a recession being one of those woes.

I apologize......I assumed you understood the difference between a recession and what we have experienced.

In 2007 to 2008, we experienced a typical cyclical recession that was caused by normal and expected market saturation. Such recessions last anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

However, due to government intervention in the ledning industry, the recession was exasperrated by the housing bubble issue.

Then, to make matters worse, the presieential campaign INAPPRORPIATELY played on the recession....scaring the people...and giving people reason to "save" and not spend....including business owners. (I had no issue with the candidates campaigning about the housing bubble...that was caused by policy....but the recession was not).

Then, with majorities in both houses, the dems made things even worse with their "pay back" stimulus plan.

NO that's not what you said.

Because you said this:

NO that's not what you said.

Excuse me?

It may not have been properly articulated...or you may have misconstrued what I said....but I am not a liar....THAT is exactly what my thinking was.

Unlike many on here...I do not adjust my posts to accommodate the criticsms.

Or, maybe you and your economic arsonists could just get the hell out of the way, and quit pretending that you're the ones best suited to put out the fire.

The best economy in Europe at this moment is Sweden. They're also doing much better than we are.

Maybe if we're actually looking for actual models that actually work, we ought to be looking at that one.

"What was the right thing to do in January of 2009?"

The "right" thing to do would have been to spend our one shot at stimulating the economy on private sector growth, not what your progressives gave us with the Obama Stimulus, where they used a trillion and a half borrowed dollars to hire more government workers, keep the ones we couldn't afford and do the usual liberal Don Quixote thing with phantom "green jobs" and high speed rail projects.

The "right" thing would have been to immediately inject capital into Main Street economies across the country by suspending employee payroll taxes and capital gains taxes. Another "right" thing to do would have been to allow American corporations that had made profits overseas to bring that capital here to invest without it being taxed. That wouldn't have cost us anything but because it would have helped "evil" corporations, people like you would rather cut off an arm or leg than to allow it to happen.

Forum List

Back