Spend More, Tax the Rich Americans Say

Marginal utility is just a justification for higher taxes on the most productive.

Personally every dollar i earn is just as important as any other.

I just utilize it differently (better) than someone else would.

Well, even appealing to basic intuition, we're aware that money far in excess of what is needed for the purchase of essential necessities will be used on commodities or simply hoarded. This is particularly morally repugnant because of the fact that these usages provide far less happiness than a poorer person's usage of that same money on necessities would. For example, Ahuvia's If money doesn't make us happy, why do we act as if it does? notes that "[r]esearch on income and subjective well-being shows that among the non-poor, increased income has little or no lasting impact on happiness."

I consider saving for retirement and working towards financial independence a basic necessity.

Personally, I never considered saving as morally repugnant.

Yes the rich really help us out with their speculation on oil driving the price up for us and their profits up on their speculation.

And whose money do they wind up getting?

Ours.

Then why do you continue to sing the praises of increasing taxation on only some, all the while they share a higher % burden than the rest of the populous
Because the "some" have so many loopholes that they do not share the same tax burden as the rest of us.

And some pay no income tax at all.. yet you do not bat an eyelash
I have no problem with anyone paying income tax on their earned income.

Because the "some" have so many loopholes that they do not share the same tax burden as the rest of us.

And I have no problem with individuals paying tax on their capital gains either.

I am for a personal flat income tax. No deductions, etc all income is taxed at ONE flat rate.

Yet... while you see conservatives stand against loopholes and tax evasion... you never see someone like yourself openly standing against those who pay no income tax at all, when it is brought up... you inherently only stick to the 'tax the rich more' sloganeering...

Yet... while you see conservatives stand against loopholes and tax evasion... you never see someone like yourself openly standing against those who pay no income tax at all, when it is brought up... you inherently only stick to the 'tax the rich more' sloganeering...
:rolleyes: Obviously you have a knee jerk reaction to my beliefs...that is often wrong.

And I have no problem with individuals paying tax on their capital gains either.

I am for a personal flat income tax. No deductions, etc all income is taxed at ONE flat rate.

And the elimination of double taxation?? Taxes being paid on the same money, savings, or property twice? Elimination of things such as the inheritance tax or 'death' tax?

:rolleyes: Obviously you have a knee jerk reaction to my beliefs...that is often wrong.

Yet I have NEVER seen you stand up with your objection to people in lower incomes not paying income taxes, yet it has been brought up MANY times.. but at the drop of a hat, you will go and state your support for additional taxation of 'the rich'.... all the while stating here today that you support a flat tax... that, my dear, is showing agenda

Marginal utility is just a justification for higher taxes on the most productive.

Personally every dollar i earn is just as important as any other.

I just utilize it differently (better) than someone else would.

Well, even appealing to basic intuition, we're aware that money far in excess of what is needed for the purchase of essential necessities will be used on commodities or simply hoarded. This is particularly morally repugnant because of the fact that these usages provide far less happiness than a poorer person's usage of that same money on necessities would. For example, Ahuvia's If money doesn't make us happy, why do we act as if it does? notes that "[r]esearch on income and subjective well-being shows that among the non-poor, increased income has little or no lasting impact on happiness."

And that is simply dead wrong. Money earned in excess of basic needs is saved and invested, providing capital for future businesses and employment across the board.
But ask people whether they would rather have more money or less money and then come back and tell me how money doesn't bring happiness. Also go find out why most marriages break up.

This is exactly why we need a flat tax rate on income. If everyone paid the same percentage the liberals couldn't use class warfare anymore as a weapon of politics.

Posted by Ravi:Because the "some" have so many loopholes that they do not share the same tax burden as the rest of us.

Lol. Most loopholes have been closed. Believe me, the rich pay more than their fair share in taxes.

And the elimination of double taxation?? Taxes being paid on the same money, savings, or property twice? Elimination of things such as the inheritance tax or 'death' tax?

Inheritance tax is not an issue for 98% of americans.

Double taxation. yes I am against that. Just the income earned from monies invested should be taxed.
I am also against taxing SS benefits until you have drawn out more than you paid in, then you should be taxed on that as well.

Yet I have NEVER seen you stand up with your objection to people in lower incomes not paying income taxes, yet it has been brought up MANY times.. but at the drop of a hat, you will go and state your support for additional taxation of 'the rich'.... all the while stating here today that you support a flat tax... that, my dear, is showing agenda
Oh, but I have. I have no problem, if we are not going to tax income equally, with making the rich pony up for past breaks they've received.

Just goes to show you how clueless the American sheeple are

Clueless?

I say it is more of an indication of how selfish many Americans are becoming.
We used to be a country where the people looked within themselves to find solutions to their hardships. It is what made this country so unique...and able to become the most free, generous and prosperous nation in the world

Now Americans are led to believe they are a victims and have a right for restitution.

LMAO...Putz Schumer wants to gove thos Madoff investors tax breaks......I do not recall any of them offering their "winnings" to others when they thought they were making unbeleivable and illogical gains. No...instead they invested more.

Now they are victims because it was too good to be true...and we Americans must "help them out"

Love where we are going....love it. Pathetic.

Let everyone feel the pain of paying 36% of your income to the government. It hurts.

And that's just income. Add in sales taxes, property taxes, carbon taxes, hell it won't be worth it to even work anymore when half your money is taken from you.

Inheritance tax is not an issue for 98% of americans.

Double taxation. yes I am against that. Just the income earned from monies invested should be taxed.
I am also against taxing SS benefits until you have drawn out more than you paid in, then you should be taxed on that as well.

So because it only effects a few you are not against it??? Tyranny of the masses?

Let everyone feel the pain of paying 36% of your income to the government. It hurts.

And that's just income. Add in sales taxes, property taxes, carbon taxes, hell it won't be worth it to even work anymore when half your money is taken from you.

With a pure flat tax on all personal income the rate could be perhaps as low as 10-15%.

[
I say it is more of an indication of how selfish many Americans are becoming.
We used to be a country where the people looked within themselves to find solutions to their hardships. It is what made this country so unique...and able to become the most free, generous and prosperous nation in the world

Now Americans are led to believe they are a victims and have a right for restitution.

Once upon a time, before the federal government took over the task, people took care of their families; when grandpa died and granny broke her hip family took her into their own home. Neighbors looked out for one another; barn-raising was a community endeavor to help the new couple get their life started.
Reaching out to help family is common throughout the globe, but has been reduced in America because the government will 'care' for the elderly. I've seen the sort of care the government provides and want no part of it, for myself or my elders.
Reaching out to strangers is something which occurred more in America than other nations. Perhaps because everyone (except natives) was an immigrant, old ethnic ties were reduced. But the number of 'good Samaritans' who routinely gave a hand was once huge in America and has declined since the advent of government care.

Americans have been victimized; by the politicians who know that an ignorant public makes for easier government control.

History shows that income tax was once touted as a method to end the federal debt which would only hit the rich. Funny how it ends up we owe more than ever and the rich has expanded to include the kid working minimum wage flipping burgers.

Forum List

Back