Spelmann college wants Gabby Douglas

Huey

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2012
Earth
Saved under Black Celebrities, Black News
Tags: gabby douglas, spelman

It looks like Gabby Douglas is being heavily recruited by Spelman College. TMZ is reporting that the school sent Gabby some congratulatory gear after her big win, making it virtually guaranteed that she will get to jump ahead of the line of thousands of other black women competing for a spot at the university.
Douglas attending Spelman would lead to big money and publicity for the school, which is often the target for many of the nation’s black elite. Douglas’ profile on the NBC Sports website was the most clicked of all profiles, with 18 million views. That’s more than double the number two athlete, Michael Phelps.
Spelman President Beverly Daniel Tatum took a trip to London to meet with Gabby personally, so the school is making no secret of their desire to get her on their campus. Gabby seems to have a strong black identity, so it might be a good sell. Spelman is also considered by many experts to be the leading college in America for African American women.:clap2:

Saved under Black Celebrities, Black News
Tags: gabby douglas, spelman

It looks like Gabby Douglas is being heavily recruited by Spelman College. TMZ is reporting that the school sent Gabby some congratulatory gear after her big win, making it virtually guaranteed that she will get to jump ahead of the line of thousands of other black women competing for a spot at the university.
Douglas attending Spelman would lead to big money and publicity for the school, which is often the target for many of the nation’s black elite. Douglas’ profile on the NBC Sports website was the most clicked of all profiles, with 18 million views. That’s more than double the number two athlete, Michael Phelps.
Spelman President Beverly Daniel Tatum took a trip to London to meet with Gabby personally, so the school is making no secret of their desire to get her on their campus. Gabby seems to have a strong black identity, so it might be a good sell. Spelman is also considered by many experts to be the leading college in America for African American women.:clap2:

Good for her, I wish Gabby and her family the best. I hope that she makes millions off of endorsements and commercials.

I'm sure every college in the country would be glad to have her attend, and most would offer a lot of incentives.

She would be better off in a high profile gymnastics school. Alabama is the defending national champions.

She is terminally cute and bubbly. No doubt she will do quite well with product endorsements, but I do hope she chooses a school with a strong gymnastics program in place.
Spelman has no program at all.

Found this: sorry about the HuffPo link

Last edited:
Isn't she living with another family so she can be close to her coach? She will go wherever her coach is. I think.

Isn't she living with another family so she can be close to her coach? She will go wherever her coach is. I think.

Good point. I doubt, no matter how much Spellman solicits, that will influence them much. I mean, if you had a free ride at a much better school, wouldn't you? Besides, I don't think she will want to be pidgeon-holed into a school that limits itself to being mostly known as a college predominantly serving one race.

Her mom had to file bankruptcy recently, I think right before the Olympics. I am thinking she will probably go for endorsements, instead of competing in college.
Many of the Olympic gymnast do not compete for colleges. ;)

Forum List

Back